This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090908 - PAX 2009

edited September 2009 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights we review all the amazingness that occurred at Penny Arcade Expo 2009.

Rym's Thing - Rym Riding
Scott's Thing - NFC Systems

Comments

• Rym's Thing - Rym Riding Scott
    It's are hotzzzzzzz
  • I think someone's account got hacked.

Or just seeing how long it takes to get banned.
  • edited September 2009
    I don't think anyone's account was hacked. I am fairly certain that these poorly executed shenanigans are being perpetrated by the account holder.
    EDIT: That was a swift banning.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Hey...so who got swine flu?
  • No court ruling thread?
  • EDIT: That was a swift banning.
    I don't have time to deal with this shit.
  • I don't have time to deal with this shit.
    Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.
  • Of course I get the joke! If nobody here watches(ed) Homestar Runner, I shun all of you.
  • Musical Talent + Comedic Talent = House MD

• JayJay
    edited September 2009
    Truly all you can eat sushi is one of the few all you can eats that are worth the price point, along with all you can eat Korean BBQ (9 dollars after 10 pm or before 3 most places). I don't know how the place described in the episode was set up, but the ones I'm used to give you a huge menu, you order what you want, and pay extra if you don't finish anything you order Though that rule is never applied. Probably just there to prevent massive waste). I mainly stick to ordering obscene amounts of white tuna sashimi and tempura vegetables/shrimp. Though, on more then one occasion if the table I was with is too big, several orders get back logged. We forget they were coming, order extra, and end up with several plates of food that no one wants to eat. Those were truly painful experiences.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • Just got back from the Doctor. I do not have the symptoms that would warrant further testing for H1N1. I just have a really bad cold/mild flu that is going around. I've been ordered to rest a lot. Yay!

Time for lunch, caramel apple cider, and falling asleep to Red Dwarf on streaming Netflix. ^_^
  • After hearing the discussion of the difference between the attendees at PAX and those of anime conventions, I was curious if the collective 'you' could give some suggestions about attracting the 'right' kind of crowd. Being toward the older end of the anime fan spectrum and a staffer at the local convention, I'd love to get a 'better' class of attendee.
  • After hearing the discussion of the difference between the attendees at PAX and those of anime conventions, I was curious if the collective 'you' could give some suggestions about attracting the 'right' kind of crowd. Being toward the older end of the anime fan spectrum and a staffer at the local convention, I'd love to get a 'better' class of attendee.
    It's very hard to change the culture of a convention. The culture is a byproduct of the attendees. To change the culture of all the attendees, you have to either make some drastic changes, or make gradual changes that will take many years.

One way to change the culture of a convention immediately is to raise the price of attendance. If Otakon charged significantly more money, like $150 or more, for the weekend, punk kids wouldn't be able to come.
  • I was curious if the collective 'you' could give some suggestions about attracting the 'right' kind of crowd.
    Forget attracting a different demographic. Instead, change the programming to slowly alter the existing attendees. We have a full loadout of what we believe is exactly the kind of programming that would make the difference, but no convention outside of Connecticon has listened to us. ^_~

For example: PAX has a keynote. Why doesn't Otakon? Why are Otakon's opening ceremonies so lame and ill-attended?
  • Because gamers care about people who make video games, and though I may be mistaken, I don't think the average person who goes to an anime convention cares about the people who make anime.
  • I don't think the average person who goes to an anime convention cares about the people who make anime.
    There are easy ways to fix that.
  • I don't think the average person who goes to an anime convention cares about the people who make anime.
    There are easy ways to fix that.
    See, the contradictory fact to this is Miyazaki. People need to hype other directors as much as him.
  • Because gamers care about people who make video games, and though I may be mistaken, I don't think the average person who goes to an anime convention cares about the people who make anime.
    Remember the story of Tribes 2. The developers did what the users in the forum told them to. The result was horrific. Counter-Strike never listened to what people in the forum said. They just did what they knew was best. New and old versions of Counter-Strike are still played today.

Never give people what they say they want. People don't know what they want. Instead, tell people what they want, and then give it to them.
  • edited September 2009
    Never give people what they say they want. People don't know what they want. Instead, tell people what they want, and then give it to them.
    You don't want a CD game system you want a N64, You don't want motion control and inexpensive systems you want the PS3....

I think your example is more about not changing your product without first seeing if that change ruins your product instead of saying you have to tell your consumers what they want instead of building something they want and selling it to them :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I think your example is more about not changing your product without first seeing if that change ruins your product instead of saying you have to tell your consumers what they want instead of building something they want and selling it to them :-p
    Or do a good job of telling people what they want.
  • PAX sounds like a million different kinds of awesome. I really look forward to PAX East starting up so I can go to it.
  • Or do a good job of telling people what they want.
    Hmmmm.... naaah. No amount of Sony telling me how much I want a PS3 is going to make me rush out and buy one. They could have made that thing look like the second coming of Jebus and my reaction still would have been 'Meh'. Apple telling me how much I want one of the new iPods doesn't make me lust after a new Nano just because it got a couple new features. Advertising hype is just that: hype. Maybe I'm just a jaded consumer, but a company has to prove to me how and why I need their product before I'll even consider buying it. Make a product that has the features I need (not 'want') at a price point I can afford and I'll be all over it. Churn out yet another overpriced piece of tech with features I'll never use and try to tell me how much I'll want it? You'll see me roll my eyes, shake my head, and walk the other way.
  • Jeremy met some people at PAX, and taught them how to play a few board games. One of the guys he taught is apparently a webcomic artist, and featured Jeremy into his recent comic. Now, that's two webcomics my boyfriend has been a part of.