This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Games You are Currently Playing

Comments

• JayJay
    edited September 2009
    On a brighter note I finally beat Half Life. Owned it for years never bothered doing anything but play counter strike with it. Truly, this was a poor choice. Even after all this time the game ages very well. Now to continue the retro I will take on Paper Mario for the N64. Hopefully it will be less disappointing then the Wii paper mario , and not as broken as the game cube game.
    What are you talking about? The GameCube paper mario is the best one times a million. In what way is it broken?
    The game was good too excellent in all respects with the exception of the badge system. It was trivial to acquire badges to allow for load oats that made your characters basically invincible. You could get badge load outs to do things like make Mario or his assist partner an instant kill with one/two attacks or make one of them so evasive as to be impossible to hit by half way through the game. This, notably, just by running through the game and picking up badges when you find them, and buying badges from the shops. You just had to pay attention and go badge heavy on your level ups. The game didn't even punish you for going badge heavy. You could easily survive all the encounters with 10-15 hp with all the badge help. To have fun with the game I had to intentionally not use the obvious badge load outs that would break the game and purposelessly not pick badge level ups. That annoyed me. I don't like consciously handicapping myself.

Didn't the bonus damage for peril and damage status badges along with the instant partner swap badge sound a large warning sign to you? As soon as I noticed that I knew the badge system was trivially broken. The other combinations I found later weren't so hard to figure out either.

EDIT: Also, you liked the gamecube paper mario more then the super intendo Mario RPG? (I know Mario RPG wasn't a paper Mario. But I see the Paper Mario as the spiritual successor to Mario RPG and very much comparable.)
    Post edited by Jay on
  • Still doing the occasional Street Fighter IV, along with Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3), and Murmasa: the Demon Blade (Wii.)

Oh and I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES!!!1 on Xbox Live Arcade. It's a great way to relieve stress after a long day :-p
  • The game was good too excellent in all respects with the exception of the badge system. It was trivial to acquire badges to allow for load oats that made your characters basically invincible. You could get badge load outs to do things like make Mario or his assist partner an instant kill with one/two attacks or make one of them so evasive as to be impossible to hit by half way through the game. This, notably, just by running through the game and picking up badges when you find them, and buying badges from the shops. You just had to pay attention and go badge heavy on your level ups. The game didn't even punish you for going badge heavy. You could easily survive all the encounters with 10-15 hp with all the badge help. To have fun with the game I had to intentionally not use the obvious badge load outs that would break the game and purposelessly not pick badge level ups. That annoyed me. I don't like consciously handicapping myself.

Didn't the bonus damage for peril and damage status badges along with the instant partner swap badge sound a large warning sign to you? As soon as I noticed that I knew the badge system was trivially broken. The other combinations I found later weren't so hard to figure out either.

EDIT: Also, you liked the gamecube paper mario more then the super intendo Mario RPG? (I know Mario RPG wasn't a paper Mario. But I see the Paper Mario as the spiritual successor to Mario RPG and very much comparable.)
    Wow, you put way too much thought into it man. In any RPG like that, the combat is basically just BS you have to get through in order to play the real game. I also got lots of badges, and was very powerful, but not that powerful that I was invincible. I spent most of my time avoiding combat as much as possible, and playing the rest of the game. If badges made combat faster and easier, that's only a good thing in my book.

I think that's what made that game so great. The world was so huge, and had so much to do, and so much variety, that it could keep my interest despite the fact that it was still an RPG with RPG combat.
  • Despite my love for Street Fighter IV I haven't touched the game in a month. I just get nothing from playing online. I need to be playing in person with someone to have any fun. But, none of my friends are even semi competent at the game. I've tried to adjust the handicap but that is viewed as so insulting the game is dropped right there. I was thinking of finding local groups that play the game but those would probably be pro training people. I am no where near that good and do not have the time or the will to get that level of play. I'm stuck in this no mans land where I can't enjoy the goodness of SF IV. Guess the hours spent with Seth will go too waste.
    I totally get what you're saying. I definitely have fun playing online, but it's not nearly the same as playing with someone sitting next to you. I'm kinda in the same boat, too, where on a larger scale, I'm not good at SF at all, but I'm too good for all the people I can actually play in person with. Is there something specific about 2D fighters that makes online play less satisfying than, say, FPSes?
  • JayJay
    edited September 2009
    In any RPG like that, the combat is basically just BS you have to get through in order to play the real game.
    I agree with you but yet I still want the combat to at least be semi challenging, and I don't know why.
    Despite my love for Street Fighter IV I haven't touched the game in a month. I just get nothing from playing online...
    I totally get what you're saying. I definitely have fun playing online, but it's not nearly the same as playing with someone sitting next to you. I'm kinda in the same boat, too, where on a larger scale, I'm not good at SF at all, but I'm too good for all the people I can actually play in person with. Is there something specific about 2D fighters that makes online play less satisfying than, say, FPSes?
    I think due to the direct combat in a raw form of punching and kicking 2D fighters lend themselves to more smack talk. Also, the long life meter results in these drawn out battles that build up tension vs. say a shooter where its often 1-5 bullets and the opponents dead. A death in a shooter isn't anything dramatic you just re-spawn in a few seconds. A death in a fighting game often results in the loss of a controller to the next person in rotation. So you have this long fight with tension building up because somethings on the line. A room full of friends making side bets on who's going to win and you and your friend are talking trash while playing. This results in this testosterone filled atmosphere that greatly amplifies the fun of the experience.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • No More Heroes
    Super Mario RPG (on Wii virtual console)
    Persona 4
  • No More Heroes
    Super Mario RPG (on Wii virtual console)
    Persona 4
    Super Mario RPG is fantastic! Next to Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy VI as my favorite games, and RPG's, of all time, along with Zelda: ALttP.
  • edited September 2009
    [analysis of in-person 2-d fighter social dynamics}
    You nailed it.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Aside from a whole host of sports games. I have just finished Fable 2, brilliant game although I think it helped that I have forgotten all the hype that went with it. Also playing lots of Trials HD.
  • Mostly playing Metroid Prime Trilogy. I've almost beaten the first game, then I'll move onto the second. I might replay those two before going onto the third, which I've already beaten twice before.
  • Think I'll bring this thread back up a bit with my own ridiculous list (at least in my mind).

Currently playing:
    Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)
    Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
    Star Ocean 2 (PSP)
    Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (DS)
    Muramasa: Demon Blade (Wii)

Started but not finished:
    Suikoden (PS1)
    Final Fantasy VII (PS1) (like the 20th replay)
    Puzzle Quest (PS3)

Games I play regularly that don't really end:
    Rock Band 2 (PS3)
    Guitar Hero: Metallica (PS3)
    Fat Princess (PS3)

I find it really hard to play any game for more than 2 hours at a time, so I'm constantly rotating between games as well as other activities.
  • I'm getting so much mileage from ArmA 2 multiplayer. I'm looking forward to seeing what the new Operation Flashpoint is going to be like.
  • Still playing Okami off-and-on, as well as Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story and Final Fantasy Tactics. I also recently finished playing Psychonauts and Klonoa, which were both absolutely fantastic.
  • Stepmania and DQ4 if I ever pick it up again.
  • Looks like I'm the only person who plays Forza 2. Anxiously awaiting Forza 3, only a moth to go.
  • Looks like I'm the only person who plays Forza 2. Anxiously awaiting Forza 3, only a moth to go.
    I play Forza 2 on and off. I have to play with some assists on though because I'm terrible without them.
  • I play Forza 2 on and off. I have to play with some assists on though because I'm terrible without them.
    ABS doesn't count as an assist. ;)
  • I played through Pokemon Snap a few days ago. That game is so short.
  • I played through Pokemon Snap a few days ago. That game is so short.
    It is. I replay it every few months. It's so damn good, though.
  • It is. I replay it every few months. It's so damn good, though.
    Nintendo needs to get on making a sequel, or even better, incorporate aspects of Pokemon Snap into the canon games. That would be awesome...

But anyway:
    Metroid Prime
    Muramasa: The Demon Blade
    Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Pokemon Platinum
    Super Smash Brothers Brawl
  • Nintendo needs to get on making a sequel, or even better, incorporate aspects of Pokemon Snap into the canon games.
    Imagine Snap! with the Wiimote.
  • CSS
    TF2
    R6V2
    Civ 4
    Quake Live

What's in Valve's near future???
  • Well currently I in the middle of these...
    Metriod Prime
    Okami

I play these ones that I have on my computer from time to time...
    Super Mario 64
    Super Mario Kart 64
    Paper Mario

...Apparently I like Mario games...
  • Pokemon Platinum really.

Most of the games I'm wanting to play I either have to rent or haven't come out yet. I'm excited for HeartGold & SoulSilver, hopefully by the time they come out I'll be ready to play some Pokemon.
  • New Game: Depths of Peril. (The best gap till Diablo 3!)
  • I want to play Need For Speed: Shift, but it keeps crashing...

Gonna play Need for speed Underground 2 again.
  • I want to play Need For Speed: Shift, but it keeps crashing...

Gonna play Need for speed Underground 2 again.
    Try a better Need for Speed, like Hot Pursuit.
  • Try a better Need for Speed, like Hot Pursuit.
    Or high stakes, or whatever they called NFS 5.
  • RymRym
    edited September 2009
    Sigh... To wash the taste of D&D Online out of my mouth, I've basically gone back to playing NS almost exclusively. Any time I feel frustrated with recent games, I need only go back and play NS to realize how revolutionary and amazing that game is.

I basically, at any time, have a list, in priority order, of (multiplayer) games I would like to play. It often goes something like this:

Tribes 2
    Tigris & Euphrates
    Weapons Factory
    Quake 2 Lithium Deathmatch
    Burning Wheel
    Natural Selection
    Civ 4
    Left 4 Dead
    Every other game

It's a list of "If playable, then play, else next" statements. I cycle down the list until I hit one I can actually play. NS is the only good old game that's still easily playable, and I don't need anyone else willing to go for it (since there are always people playing on the good servers) so I hit that default hook before getting to most other games. Why play something less good when NS still exists? ;^)
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited September 2009
    Been playing Tribes 2 and Ocarina of time a bit. Turns out Tribesnext works fine under WINE, as does Project64.

Update: And I've just run the LOVE tech demo under WINE. You can't do anything but I at least know the engine runs.
    Post edited by Omnutia on