This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

50 years difference in crash safety

edited September 2009 in Everything Else
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety did a special crash test to celebrate its 50th anniversary. They crashed a 1959 Chevrolet Bel-Air into a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The video speaks for itself.

5CU-k0XmLUk

Comments

• Wait a second, surely, to properly demonstrate the effect, you'd run two cars from each era into each other then compare the results.
  • edited September 2009
    Wait a second, surely, to properly demonstrate the effect, you'd run two cars from each era into each other then compare the results.
    Or have each car run into same object separately.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • What 1959 Chevrolet Bel-Air? All I saw was a Malibu and a can or sardines.
  • Wait a second, surely, to properly demonstrate the effect, you'd run two cars from each era into each other then compare the results.
    For strictly scientific results perhaps. This is supposed to be more shock and awe than actually measurement of crash ratings.
    I think this more supposed to be for the "hey check out how cool this looks" factor than an actual scientific comparison.
  • Remember kids: When going back in time, it pays to bring a modern car with you. Just say it's a space ship that only goes on land.
  • Remember kids: When going back in time, it pays to bring a modern car with you. Just say it's a space ship that only goes on land.
  • The big difference in crash safety in 50 years?
  • The big difference in crash safety in 50 years?
    Air Bags were pretty big, too.
  • I'm not learned in the ways of old cars. But weren't older cars almost like tanks? Shouldn't the Bel Air have made mincemeat out of the Malibu?
  • But weren't older cars almost like tanks?
    Common misconception.
    Shouldn't the Bel Air have made mincemeat out of the Malibu?
    Crumple zones, hardened passenger compartments, etc... Old cars are, by and large, death traps. ^_~