This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090916 - Pokemon Adventures

Comments

• Such a good read. I've got the first five volumes of Pokemon Adventures in jumbo-sized, heavy cover comic form.
  • Question: Did Viz switch the names of Green and Blue? Green is Oak's grandson in Pokemon Special, whilst Blue is the girl. Probably has to do with the first two versions of the games being called Red and Blue outside of Japan.
  • Question: Did Viz switch the names of Green and Blue? Green is Oak's grandson in Pokemon Special, whilst Blue is the girl. Probably has to do with the first two versions of the games being called Red and Blue outside of Japan.
    It's possible. Personally, I think they should have named the main character Green, because he took Bulbasaur. Oak's grandson should be Red, (Charmander) and the girl should be Blue (Squirtle).
  • It's possible. Personally, I think they should have named the main character Green, because he took Bulbasaur. Oak's grandson should be Red, (Charmander) and the girl should be Blue (Squirtle).
    ... You do realize they're named after their own distinguishing colours, right? Not because of what pokemon they eventually got. Red is red because he's got his red cap and vest, Green is green-eyed and Blue is blue-eyed and wears blue clothing. The Viz translation would've made sense if the trainers got the pokemon corresponding to their colour, Red getting Charmander, Blue (Viz) then getting the pokemon that is strong against Red's Charmander , Squirtle, after all, he's Red's rival, and the girl Green (Viz) getting the last, Bulbasaur. But then we'd miss out on the rivals using each other's starter type colour, Red with Bulbasaur and Green with Charmander. And Viz would have had to change the colour on Green's pendant from being a Green/Yellow ying and yang symbol to a blue/yellow ying and yang symbol.

At least, that's what I think. It's also a nice reason to shit bricks, just like when you realize that all the towns in Kanto are named after colours and that you start with a fresh pallet in Pallet town.
  • edited September 2009
    Question: Did Viz switch the names of Green and Blue? Green is Oak's grandson in Pokemon Special, whilst Blue is the girl. Probably has to do with the first two versions of the games being called Red and Blue outside of Japan.
    Yes, they did. Probably because Blue was the major game accompanying Red here in the US, as opposed to Green accompanying Red in Japan.

And we can't have a girl wearing a more important title than one of her male counterparts.
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • This gives me an interesting idea.

When they put out Pokemon games in the US, they put out two colors. But the only difference between the colors are a handful of Pokemon that are different. They should put out a version like black/white where you only have one choice of trainer, black or white. Then you should use the Internets or local wifi to pair your cartridge with your friend's/sibling's rival cartridge. Then it becomes a versus game! You vs. your rival. Someone is going to get to the elite 4 first, and then wait for the other to show up...
  • I have found a site that is not only one of the greatest resources on Pokemon I've ever seen (it rivals the Pokemon Wiki, Bulbapedia), but it also has the most in-depth coverage of the awesome manga that is spoken of here. I've learned that the names of the characters named after colors continues on all the way through the Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. How good the content is concerning those characters, I have no clue. Just thought I'd like to share that with all of you.
  • When they put out Pokemon games in the US, they put out two colors. But the only difference between the colors are a handful of Pokemon that are different. They should put out a version like black/white where you only have one choice of trainer, black or white. Then you should use the Internets or local wifi to pair your cartridge with your friend's/sibling's rival cartridge. Then it becomes a versus game! You vs. your rival. Someone is going to get to the elite 4 first, and then wait for the other to show up...
    That would be cool, but there are many other aspects of the games that need to be fixed and changed before implementing that feature.
  • Serebii.net should always be the first site you check for pokeymanz info. :P

@Scott: That would be a rockin' idea. In Ruby and Sapphire, they had a feature that allowed you to battle people you had traded records with if you were able to find where they'd set up their secret base in your game. It sounds like a way-enhanced version of that. But wouldn't the whole game be entirely wifi dependent?

• @Scott: That would be a rockin' idea. In Ruby and Sapphire, they had a feature that allowed you to battle people you had traded records with if you were able to find where they'd set up their secret base in your game. It sounds like a way-enhanced version of that. But wouldn't the whole game be entirely wifi dependent?
    Well, I suppose you could make it like the trading records feature - You trade records via Wi-fi, and the game will let you get up to the point they're at, and then occupy you with side quests, leading to you getting an item they need to continue or vice versa, and then when you battled, one of you would get a leg up on the next section.
  • Blaine is the puts the MAN in the Pokemon MANga.
    edited September 2009
    I have found a site that is not only one of the greatest resources on Pokemon I've ever seen (it rivals the Pokemon Wiki, Bulbapedia), but it also has the most in-depth coverage of the awesome manga that is spoken of here. I've learned that the names of the characters named after colors continues on all the way through the Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. How good the content is concerning those characters, I have no clue. Just thought I'd like to share that with all of you.
    Eh, Serebii. Their synopsis's are crazy huge transcriptions that take as long to read as reading the chapter of the manga, a bit over the top if you ask me. Either way, yes, the manga continues with every release of a new 'core' game (as Scott defined them), with the characters being named whatever the name of the game was. Ruby's pretty kick ass from what I've seen. Very manly dude.
    Blaine is the puts the MAN in the Pokemon MANga.
    Pffffffffffff, Red's more awesome. spoilerHe rides a bicycle on a freaking Onixspoiler But Blaine's awesome too, but then again, most characters are, and that makes Pokemon Special so freaking awesome.
    Post edited by ... on
  • With a name like Ruby you have to be manly, otherwise nobody will take you seriously. I mean, come on... Ruby.
  • One thing I noticed in the show was that when Scott was talking about how Red becomes this mythical figure in the Yellow manga, he compared him to Merlin from the Lord of the Rings - Gandalf was the wizard in the Lord of the Rings, Merlin is from the King Arthur stories. Very good show otherwise though - I might well have to order those books from Amazon, I always did want to read them as a kid, I could just never track them down. Many thanks for the links!
  • One thing I noticed in the show was that when Scott was talking about how Red becomes this mythical figure in the Yellow manga, he compared him to Merlin from the Lord of the Rings - Gandalf was the wizard in the Lord of the Rings, Merlin is from the King Arthur stories.
    I was having a mini nerd rage about that...
  • One thing I noticed in the show was that when Scott was talking about how Red becomes this mythical figure in the Yellow manga, he compared him to Merlin from the Lord of the Rings - Gandalf was the wizard in the Lord of the Rings, Merlin is from the King Arthur stories.
    How the hell could Scott mix up something as iconic as LotR?! Sorry for the nerd-rage, but it is a glaring mistake.
  • Man, I love you, Rym, but...Japanese fail!

Emi-sensei gives you an F! Study time!
  • Man, I love you, Rym, but...Japanese fail!

Oh noes!
  • I might well have to order those books from Amazon, I always did want to read them as a kid, I could just never track them down. Many thanks for the links!
    Those aren't all the volumes, the Yellow arc ends in volume 7. Unless of course Viz threw all the chapters together and then spread them over 6 volumes.
    Man, I love you, Rym, but...Japanese fail!

Wait, what fail? Did I miss something? Gomily, tell tell~ please.
  • I'm reading this right now. Damn you for getting me addicted! Now I got to go to Borders!
  • edited September 2009
    Yup, Serebii is awesome, especially combined with Bulbapedia.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • Does anyone know if Viz is planning on re-releaseing all of the volumes, or at the very least volume 7 to finish of yellows story?
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2009
    By the way Rym, it's pronounced "Asp-burgers" not "Asp-bujers". Sorry about the minor gripe, but I've had many years of experience with the disease since I spent most of my school life in Sp. Ed School and hearing it pronounced incorrectly sounds extremely strange to me, but whatever.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Yeah, it is Asp-burgers. I've been diagnosed with it, so I would know.
  • I'm reading these comics and playing Pokemon again. Those two events are related.
  • Yup, Serebii is awesome, especially combined with Bulbapedia.
    To be honest, if you have Bulbapedia, there is no need for the horribly formatted Serebii.
  • Holy shit, I remember when the Pokemon anime first aired in the states, I found a comic book of this at 7-11. And I read it and just loved how it went along. It was only like, the very first chapter...but it was still an amazing find so, you guys talking about this is just great.
  • I remember picking up those individual issues from my comic shop. It definitely presented a much more interesting view of the Pokemon world then the show ever did.

I also was incredibly disappointed when Viz stopped bring them over even when the series itself continued. Of course, now they're brining about the Diamond/Pearl series, so I guess there for them to get the other volumes.
  • Picked up volume 1 yesterday and just finished reading it. Man, you guys weren't kidding about this comic. It's quite the business. It invigorates my Pokemon Trainer spirit.

I found myself laughing out loud when you saw the frame with Snorlax chasing after Red and his honey covered Bulbasaur.

I plan on picking up more today.
  • I plan on picking up more today.
    You know, Volume 1 is not that great imho. And the Ruby arc is best thus far imho.