This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

University Degree: Bachelor of Sound and Music Design, is it worth it?

edited September 2009 in Everything Else
Hey, new to the forums, and yet, instead of posting a very insightful first comment, here I sit, asking and pondering over the either most exciting (in my view, I am very odd, could be as boring as watching paint dry), or worst university degree I could take in Sydney Australia.
What is this course about?

This course is the first of its kind to combine the domains of sound and music, and prepare students for new emerging domains that require the confluence of sound in design and interaction.

Students' learning outcomes include expression through creative practice, and technical fluency across a range of technologies.

Why study this course?

The course appeals to students with an interest in music, creative arts, design and technology or multimedia. It converges creative practice (art thinking) and innovative solution (design thinking) through music and sound. It offers a unique, contemporary sound and music degree experience by merging art and technology across domains of composition, entertainment and audio technology, as well as combining features of music and audio engineering with interaction design.
My main question is, is it worth it, I mean, although the course sounds brilliant in itself, the practical value from what I have been told by others and somewhat of myself is lacking, and by practical I mean, what jobs would be available to me in the end.
The site (listed at the bottom) states;
"What jobs are there for graduates?

Career options include working in sound design or production across a diverse range of media, communication and design outlets including music, animation, web applications, gaming, product design, exhibition design and architecture. Specific examples include new media artists, interactive media artists, installation artists/sound sculptors, computer musicians, electronic music composers, product audio designers, software interface designers, e-fashion designers, new sonic interface designers, information system (sonification) designers and mobile/smart-phone and device audio interface designers."
Only problem is these jobs, at the present moment in Australia, aren't incredibly common, and although I can do business electives, It still would be a narrow path to take by entering this course.
Although I love the sound of this new Bachelor Degree, if its going to be a pain in the arse using the skills I have (hopefully) learnt in the end of 3 or 5 years, what's the point.

SO after this long ruddy rant, let us hear some opinions on the course.

on a side note, if I choose the 5 year course i get to study in France for a year and learn French (plus with a European passport which I am getting this year) I would work overseas if it is really a problem.
Courses info: http://tiny.cc/courseinfo

Courses Subjects: http://tiny.cc/coursesubjects What is this course about?

Comments

• edited September 2009
    Not totally sure what you're asking here. Sound design is a legitimate profession and you would mostly be working on computer programs and games. The music design part seems extraneous. It would probably put you a tier above other sound designers, though.

As for there not being jobs in this field in Australia, that's not as much of a problem with the advent of the internet. Most sound designers are hired freelance anyway, I believe, so I'm sure that your being in another country from your employer would not be much of a problem.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but your post was incredibly difficult to read through. If you could use appropriate spelling and grammar in future posts you may get a better response. It would also help if your links actually worked.
    learnt in the end of 3 or 5 years
    What's the difference between the long course versus the short course?
    on a side note, if I choose the 5 year course i get to study in France for a year and learn French (plus with a European passport which I am getting this year) I would work overseas if it is really a problem.
    So is your primary goal to get a degree in a subject you're genuinely interested or are you looking to learn French and have a bit of a holiday in Europe? You may want to define what you actually want most prior to looking at perceived side benefits.
  • The answer our generation has been told, "of course, you should do whatever you love."

The real answer, "Waste of time."

Maybe Australia is different, but I know that shit is useless in the US. My friend is a dramatic writer (a good one) and he waits tables.

• Maybe Australia is different, but I know that shit is useless in the US. My friend is a dramatic writer (a good one) and he waits tables.
    Nope, no different to the US, all my friends who did courses with actual science based backgrounds all ended up in jobs with a direct correlation to their chosen fields while the few who did arts courses are still at University thinking up grand schemes of how their lives are going to turn out and are on to there 3rd try at completing bachelors degree or something similar.