This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The big Headphones VS. Earbuds debate!

Comments

• I voted for headphones purely for sound quality reasons. However earbuds are useful for various reasons, such as listening discretely during class.
  • Well, I homeschool, so "listening discretely during class" doesn't really apply to me. Plus, I have two brothers who live in the room next to me, so I can't really listen with a speaker. As for the pillow speaker, I dunno. It just doesn't seem right for me. Thus, having eliminated the competition, headphones take the gold for me.
  • Yes, I've used one. It works.
    Regarding the pillow speaker, my situation is somewhat different than yours. You see, I share my bed with a member of the opposite sex. Would they pick up the noise from the speaker? If so, it's back to earbuds for me.
  • Hmm, I don't know if the pillow speaker can be heard by others. I haven't used it in years. I do remember that if I put it under the pillow, I couldn't hear it unless I put my ear on the pillow. Volume setting probably has a huge effect. It's so cheap though, that it couldn't hurt to try it out.
  • Believe it or not,it's out of stock right now. Bummer.
  • Earbuds keep fallin out my ears.
  • Earbuds keep fallin out my ears.
    Ditto and/or they hurt. People keep saying I'm just putting them in wrong but I have never been able to work it out. Other people have put 'em in for me and still I am met with failure! So I use headphones instead, though even those get kind of uncomfortable after a while. I think that's just my headphones though.

Seriously considering getting my sister some of those isolator earbuds *bookmarks site*. She has an ipod and I worry about her hearing sometimes... Also, then I can try and work out how to wear them myself and get some for myself if I ever work it out.
  • This is a no brainer, at home on my desktop I use my beloved Sennheiser hd570 headphones and earbuds for my mp3 player outside.
  • edited December 2006
    Speakers. I got some big ol nasty speakers in my house, and they sound great. I only use earbuds when I'm on the go.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited December 2006
    "Ditto and/or they hurt. People keep saying I'm just putting them in wrong but I have never been able to work it out. Other people have put 'em in for me and still I am met with failure! So I use headphones instead, though even those get kind of uncomfortable after a while. I think that's just my headphones though.

Seriously considering getting my sister some of those isolator earbuds *bookmarks site*. She has an ipod and I worry about her hearing sometimes... Also, then I can try and work out how to wear them myself and get some for myself if I ever work it out."

I just lay a small rag between my ears and my headphones so it takes longer to become uncomfortable.
    Sorry quoting didn't work for me there.
    Post edited by bookman2 on
  • I wore earbuds almost constantly after I bought my first mp3 player. Soon after, I contracted a KILLER ear infection in both ears. I still have tinnitus in my left ear. I never had an ear infection before using earbuds.
  • I like all of them personally....but I use isolations the most (Shure earbuds are what I use.)

Special thanks to Rym for mentioning me on the show! That made my day! ^_^
  • Hah, wow. Disease. Huge reason to not stick stuff in your ears. I'm scared to use my ultimateears now :-(
  • It was colder than a woman's heart this morning and I forgot my earmuffs. Fortunately, I have some big headphones and wearing them kept my ears nice and toasty.

Plus, it was a lot easier to ignore the street hustlers and panhandlers while wearing the headphones.
  • edited January 2007
    -9 when I woke up this morning. (January 17th) -14 about a mile away from my house, when I stopped to get the paper.

Anyone got that beat?

Actually, I've got no real complaints. We've had a mild winter here in the northeast. Most winters we see nights get down to -20 to -25, and we haven't come close to that yet.

And yes... this is Fahrenheit. Sorry to those outside of the U.S.A.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • It's +31 here today, and is supposed to be +41 tomorrow. Hopefully the snow will all melt away again.
  • edited January 2007
    Well guess what? You won't believe it! It's been raining here! RAIN! Actual honest to god rain! Although I must ask why it rains at the weekend. Saturday and Sunday are our allowed garden watering days so why can't it rain during the week?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Well, When I'm at home, I wear my big Headphones, I can't wear headphones at work, and I sometimes wear ear buds under my helmet on my motorbike, because obviously Large headphones won't fit.

As for the temperature - It was 34 Degrees Celsius here today, but I feel like I'm cheating somehow, because I work in the cool of the night, in an air-conditioned bar.
  • The big headphones I'm using now are definately nice in the arctic temperatures that New England has right now
  • edited January 2007
    The big headphones I'm using now are definately nice in the arctic temperatures that New England has right now
    Is that enough of a modification to count as a "hack"?

(Please forgive me for the poll results. I didn't intend for it to appear and I can't figure out how to erase it. Maybe it's there because this is the start of a new page.)
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Um...I'm still listening to podcasts on them, so I don't think so, it's more like a side benefit than a hack, I think
  • I Usually use ear buds. I have a set of headphones, but they aren't comfortable (they press against my ear pretty hard).
    I also got a set of nice speakers for my birthday (for home use). I use that for all my podcast and music needs
    (yes, I listen to podcast at home, and not on the train)

I do want to use headphones because of the quality, so I ordered headphones which still haven't come in yet.
    even though it's been 3-4 weeks? (okay, so it was with a magazine subscription, they still count!)

11561.jpg
  • I have hearing aids, so for a while I used something called Hatis Silhouettes earphones, it uses the telecoils in my haring aids to send a signal into it. But they were pricey, $110 roughly, and they are very delicate and extremely fragile, if you bump it wrong, it wouldn't work. one day, I tried my iPOD ear buds and it works in the same way but cheaper.
  • I love my new ear buds!
  • Ear buds will kill your ears. I use headphones only.
  • For portability use I have plain earbuds with no isolation or anything, but I use headphones when I'm just at my desk or something like that. I wouldn't mind a nicer pair of each, but I don't have any specific need for them and thus I haven't spent the money on them yet.
  • Earbuds suck because they never, ever stay in my fsckin' ears.
  • I use earbuds, just because they are more portable and easy to wear. They always stay in my ears, and I have a pretty nice pair, so I don't have to blast my music to hear it. I go biking and jogging a lot, so it's easier to wear than big, bulky headphones.

It really depends what works for you.
  • Well guess what? You won't believe it! It's been raining here! RAIN! Actual honest to god rain! Although I must ask why it rains at the weekend. Saturday and Sunday are our allowed garden watering days so why can't it rain during the week?
    You know, there's actually been studies showing a connection between factory pollution output during the week and bad weather happening on weekends. Weekends really DO have statistically worse weather!

Fsckin' god damn drought. D:
  • Other:
    Ear buds: Never, don't have good ones.
    Headphones: When I'm out I use some Sony street style headphones which wrap round the back behind my fro and look rather stylish.
    Headphones 2: At home I have wired up a set of Zalman surround headphones which I use for gaming (also good at lan parties) these are odd shaped but as they go over the head can be worn for long periods without discomfort.
    Speakers: None of that lame computer speakers stuff. Got a $50 cable which converts (amazingly well) from headphone to coaxial which is cheaper, easier and better than getting a separate pair of computer speakers and is highly portable as 5m cable so I can run it to hifis in other peoples houses at lan parties and various other events and HDJ (Hard disk jockey) which was actually quite useful while my laptop only had Kubuntu on it.