This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What sites do you check compulsively?

edited September 2009 in Everything Else
Digg
Reddit
Macrumors
Slashdot
Engadget
Huffington Post

That's normal, right? :)

Comments

• This one, Kotaku, and Facebook.
  • This one.

Used to be some others, but I cut them out in preparation for law school:
    LJ
    Ravelry
    Gaia
    DeviantArt
    Etsy
    Twitter
  • edited September 2009
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Newgrounds
    DeviantART
    And this is becoming one of them...

By the way, my deviantART is Rezztd. I have some really high quality photos, with hilarious comments. It's a double-whammy.
    Post edited by Rezz on
  • Honestly, pretty much only this one. I think that says a lot about this forum. I'm trying to wean myself off this, too. :) (But only the "compulsive" part.)
  • This, Facebook, two other forums. I've got Digsby to tell me if anything happens on any other site.
  • This forum, another forum I'm part of, facebook, and whatever I have on my google reader.
  • This one, my Facebook, my Twitter, my Flickr, Kotaku, Slashdot, and more that I forget at the moment.
  • I check Google Reader throughout the day for updates and stuff I ignored before. Then there's also this forum, though I could condense this into Google Reader too anyway.
  • This place and three other forums
    Facebook
    XKCD
    CollegeHumor
    Youtube
  • This forum
    Google Reader
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Gmail
  • Google Reader, YouTube (subscriptions), various forums on the internet.
  • Geeknights forum
    Facebook
    Everything else comes in via RSS feeds or Twitter which I access via a Firefox plugin.
  • None anymore.
  • I check Fark and Slashdot each morning, and again in the evening, for the news. I hit this forum a few times a day. Otherwise, that's it.

Don't fall into the serotonin trap: don't check websites constantly, and don't let your pull RSS feeds become effectively push.
  • I check Fark and Slashdot each morning, and again in the evening, for the news. I hit this forum a few times a day. Otherwise, that's it.

Don't fall into the serotonin trap: don't check websites constantly, and don't let your pull RSS feeds become effectively push.
    I don't think any of that counts as "compulsively". I read google news, engadget, kotaku, boingboing, and hackerne.ws twice a day each, and then also check collegehumor videos and cinemassacre.com in the living room while I eat dinner.

I guess depending on your interpretation I might be checking my Gmail and this forum "compulsively" but I treat the forum more like e-mail. I don't keep going to check it constantly. It's just open all the time.
  • Facebook and Twitter for me all day. At work, I'll check Joystiq, Slashdot, Dvorak Uncensored, and Slog (for Seattlites) when bored. This forum is quickly becoming another one during work, which does say a lot since I generally can't stand forums.
  • edited September 2009
    Wikipedia (Far and away my most visited site). If I start getting bored, I'll sometimes habitually type in wikipedia in the address bar even though I'm already there.
    Google and Yahoo Finance
    YouTube
    Omgle, AniceChat
    Post edited by Mr. Eric on
  • This
    GameFAQs
    Facebook
    Twitter

I check them whenever I get onto the internet, and then at random spurts while I'm surfing if I'm bored.
  • This
    Facebook
    BoingBoing
  • This forum
    Facebook
    Gmail
    Youtube
    Twitter
    FPSBanana (maybe once every day or so, not really compulsive.)
  • Gmail
    Here
    Accursed Farms (Yay Freeman's Mind!)
    Google (Yes, the front page. I don't know why, it's just comforting to see when I'm bored)
    Facebook

That's about it.
  • Here
    Facebook
    That Guy With The Glasses
    Youtube
    Deviantart
    Hotmail
    Hulu
  • edited September 2009
    It's funny that this thread was posted on this day. Today I tried my best to avoid internet use entirely. As a result, I got a lot of work done. Hopefully this is a list of the past.
    This forum +2 others
    Twitter
    siliconera
    Buzzfeed
    ffffound
    Designbyhumans (recently)
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • This place
    Twitter
    LJ FRUiTS comm
    Gmail
    ANN
  • Twitter
    Giant Bomb
    Various forums

I leave those guys in tabs and check on them when I'm at my computer.
  • I'm surprised by the lack of Fark...

Mine pretty much are
    Fark
    Huffingtonpost
    Drudgereport
    Kotaku

At home I check Facebook and Twitter occasionally.
  • Sites I spend a relatively significant amount of time:
    Here
    Hacker News
    -Hacker News is probably the best programmer focused news aggregator on the web. It's focused around Paul Graham's venture capital business Y Combinator, which funds web start ups. I've found the discussions more enlightening than ./ (not to mention the interface is significantly better). For example, this is one of the best discussions on Lisp I've read.

I don't visit many sites manually, so I'll go through my feeds.

Skeptic Feeds
    -Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy
    -Science Based Medicine
    -Neurologica
    -Atheist Media (tons of great interviews, documentaries, and hilarity)
    -Pharyngula (Hail Cthulu)

Gaming
    -Kotaku
    -Quel Solaar News Feed
    -Indiegames.com Blog
    -Penny Arcade

Coding
    -lbrandy.com
    -Programming Praxis (Great site with daily coding challenges. Great for improving your skills)
    -Coding Horror

Miscellaneous
    -Food Wishes (Great recipies)
    -Kill the Captains
  • This and a couple other forums
    YTMND
    YouTube
    Kotaku
    Facebook

And, because I'm an idiot and haven't set up a reader yet, all the webcomics I read.
  • What reader does everyone use? I have a new laptop and am looking for one that is decidedly not poop.