This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Testicular Cancer From iPhone 3G

edited September 2009 in Everything Else
Why I think this? I always kept the phone in my left pocket and my left testicle had two tumors making the it the size of chili pepper. The left also had a non-seminoma, the more aggressive and dangerous kind of cancerous tumor. The right side was less significant, with a much smaller tumor attached. All three tumors were cancerous. I lost both testicles.

Right now, I'm going through chemotherapy and working at Best Buy. I would be working the assignment desk at a local TV news station, but they needed someone who could be their full time. Thank god my dad has insurance through his work and I'm a student, or my family would be screwed.

I think this is limited to the iPhone 3G. Notice the changes in the SAR (Specific Absorption Rate) or radiation level of the 3G compared to the original and 3G S.

iPhone 2G= 0.98
iPhone 3G= 1.38
iPhone 3GS= 0.79

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6602_7-6258775-11.html

What!? .79!? Why the change and no acknowledgment, Apple? I watch every single keynote and no mention of this new feature? It would be one thing if it were just above the old iPhone, but even lower? Seems like they were really trying to change it. Why? You tell me.

The highest allowed by the FCC is 1.6. 1.38 is cutting it pretty close.

This is pretty recent...
http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/smartspending/archive/2009/09/14/senate-studies-cell-phone-cancer-risks.aspx

And this is even more interesting and very recent...
http://www.pongresearch.com/

Comments

• However unfortunate your situation is, unless your iPhone is the super-secret X-ray edition, it's unrelated.
  • I find this unlikely to be the cause of your problem. I am very sorry about what happened to you, but electronics, even ones with high radiation compared to the others, produce very little dangerous radiation. You'd have to be exposed to the electronics for decades before it could take any effect.
  • You'd be more likely to get a cell-phone related tumor on your auditory nerve or in brain tissue, or on the skin of your leg (where the actual localized heating would have occurred), then on your testicles. Plus, research is presently showing that cell phones have a negligible effect on your chances of cancer, and the fact that the iPhone 3G has only been out for a few years means that it'd have to a casing made from DU to tear you up like that.

That all being said, I am very sorry for what happened. I really feel that male self-exams for testicular cancer should be pushed just as much as female self-exams for breast cancer.
  • I thought you were joking at first, but then I looked at the links. This is simply ridiculous.
  • This is simply ridiculous.
    The SAR of the iPhone, or the initial post?
  • Post hoc ergo propter hoc.
  • I just want to say, regardless of whether the iPhone caused your cancer, I hope you recover as quickly as possible! That's a horrible thing to happen to someone young.
  • Word. No opinion on cell-phone-cancer-link, but best wishes for a quick recovery.
  • Was looking up SAR values for my phone and discovered that I'm not supposed to carry my cell phone in my pocket.
    The highest SAR value for this BlackBerry device when clipped on a belt, in a Research In Motion
    (RIM) approved holster equipped with an integrated belt clip, is outlined below. Carrying
    solutions, including RIM approved carrying solutions and carrying solutions not approved by
    RIM, that do not come equipped with an integrated belt clip SHOULD NOT be worn or carried
    on the body.
    For more information regarding the wearing or carrying of this BlackBerry device
    without using a RIM approved carrying solution equipped with an integrated belt clip, see the
    Holster information in the Additional safety guidelines section of this document.
  • Was looking up SAR values for my phone and discovered that I'm not supposed to carry my cell phone in my pocket.
    10:1 that's just CYA on the part of Research in Motion. If your BlackBerry is emitting enough radiation to merit a protective shield, it'd probably be in violation of some FCC guidelines.
  • edited September 2009
    Yes. Apple just needs to clarify that you shouldn't carry an iPhone around in your pocket without protection. The purpose of me starting this thread is to make sure this doesn't happen to somebody else. Chemotherapy SUCKS! BIG TIME! I don't want anybody else to go through this. Eventually, I'll explain all the short term side effects.

3G technology might be great, but we can't forget this is the first time our society has used it. Phones before this probably didn't cause cell mutation, but maybe this generation does. There's always some room for human error, especially when it can bring in a huge cash flow.

This is worse than having a smart phone up to your head, unless someone has grown bone around their testicles. Also, it's even more dangerous for young people (I'm 20), because we're still developing sexual organs.

My left testicle did not start looking infected until I had an iPhone.

Sorry I'm so stuck on the culprit being my iPhone, but it's the only thing that makes sense. There's no history of testicular cancer in my family. And the timing of this is spot on with when I got the 3G.
    Post edited by glimpster on
  • Well, contact Apple about it. If they act flighty, sue 'em.

But in all seriousness, I'm really sorry. I suppose it is a possibility. You should consult more people knowledgeable in this area. If you think you can have a case, you should make this public. This could be dangerous, you might be right.
  • I did call Apple. The guy I talked to had to repeat my information back to three other people in the public relations and engineering department. They even called me back and asked to talk to my lawyer. I don't have a lawyer. I called the number one malpractice attorney in Wichita who's won millions for people, and he said wait a year. He said there wasn't enough evidence and a study might be done.

What about the Swedish study that everyone seems to cast out? Read that article at the top, because our government wants to get this study done using rats by 2012. 20 frikin' 12. Why so late?

I was thinking about creating a Youtube video, talking about my cancer, how I lost a huge job opportunity, my medical bills, how I think my iPhone is the reason I contracted it, and so forth.

Another idea, why not buy a rat and cage, stick an iPhone in there with push notifications turned on, all the good stuff, and see what happens over several months.

I swear on my mother's grave, that rat will get cancer.
  • I'll be honest. I highly doubt that the phone had anything to do with your cancer.
  • edited September 2009

Sorry I'm so stuck on the culprit being my iPhone, but it's the only thing that makes sense
    Except that it doesn't, and you're forgetting that correlation doesn't equal cause. 100% of people who have had cancer at some point in their lives have drank water, too, but I don't see you stopping that, Even though I bet you 100% that you were drinking water around the time you found you had cancer.

On top of that, the Timing of this is Spot on with when you got the 3g? Great! So what about the rest of the time you spent constantly in a field of this radiation, as we all do? And of course, let's not forget the fact that the iPhone 3g has been out since 11 July, 2008 - in other words, just over twelve months - So you're saying, somehow, this device is not only putting out carcinogenic radiation, but doing it in such a form that it gave you cancer in roughly 12 months?
    I'm guessing that length of time, because frankly, You say the Timing of this is spot on when you got the 3G, but that doesn't mean a thing - What, did these tumors spring into existence as soon as you touched it, are they a recent discovery?

Somehow, I don't think you thought your cunning hypothesis all the way through.

However, I have spotted your problem.
    Sorry I'm so stuck on the culprit being my iPhone, but it's the only thing that makes sense.
    No, It's one thing that doesn't make any sense whatsoever, however, you can't let go of that theory.
    You don't know what it is in the slightest.
    It might have been exposure to some carcinogenic material in your teen years, or it might just be that you lucked out in the genetic lottery.

Yeah, you copped a bad hand. But why are you wasting your time advocating that we all stop leaving our iphones in our pockets, or getting special cases for them, when you could be advocating regular self-examinations and going to the doctor at the first sign of trouble? That plan of action will help a hell of a lot more people than this "iPhone 3G gave me testicular cancer" track, which is, if you'll pardon me saying, an utter load of bollocks.
    I did call Apple. The guy I talked to had to repeat my information back to three other people in the public relations and engineering department. They even called me back and asked to talk to my lawyer.
    Because people suing your company costs money, and they want to get the leg up on you if you decide to.
    I called the number one malpractice attorney in Wichita who's won millions for people, and he said wait a year. He said there wasn't enough evidence and a study might be done.
    He's right - there isn't enough evidence that any phone causes cancer, let alone a specific one. I think he was fobbing you off more than he was giving any advice.
    What about the Swedish study that everyone seems to cast out? Read that article at the top, because our government wants to get this study done using rats by 2012. 20 frikin' 12. Why so late?
    Because the overwhelming majority of studies disagree with it's findings. And as for why so late, it's called "Proper scientific method" - If they rush the test, their findings will be useless for providing information on the long term hazards of Mobile phone use.
    Another idea, why not buy a rat and cage, stick an iPhone in there with push notifications turned on, all the good stuff, and see what happens over several months.

Hey, I've got an idea - if you're so sure that it will give the rat cancer, then you're actively advocating animal cruelty. On top of that, let's say this is Bizzaro world, and what you're saying would actually happen, then you are actively and knowingly performing an act of animal cruelty. Great work, hero.
    Life Advice - only swear on things that you know for a fact will happen or you know to be true, not some half-baked hypothesis which a vast majority of the studies performed disagree with.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'll be honest. I highly doubt that the phone had anything to do with your cancer.
    Seriously, I agree. At first I thought it was a joke, but I'm sorry about what happened.

Another idea, why not buy a rat and cage, stick an iPhone in there with push notifications turned on, all the good stuff, and see what happens over several months.I swear on my mother's grave, that rat will get cancer.
    Try it with 10 healthy, normal rats. I'd be surprised if one of them actually got cancer.
  • edited September 2009
    But will it be from the phone? The only way to test that in a lab setting would be to ensure that no other EM radiation could reach the rat, by putting said rat and iPhone in a Faraday cage. However, then no EM will reach the phone, and said radiation will not be an issue, meaning that a controlled experiment in such a fashion would always be inconclusive.

Let's be honest here. A microwave oven's external power density is 5mW/cm2 of external surface area. Standing in the general vicinity of a microwave as it heats something is cooking you with a lot of radiation, at least as much as a cell phone. Radiation is goddamned EVERYWHERE, because human beings like things than beep and keep us entertained and connected. You are also subjected to a dandy bit of radiation when you fly anywhere.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • It's sad, because the guy I talked to from Apple lost a cousin to testicular cancer. If you don't catch it in time, it can spread to other organs. The only reason I went into the doctor was because the lymph nodes in my neck were swelling. Thank god I decided to get a check up, and that testicles are part of a physical.
  • Sorry I'm so stuck on the culprit being my iPhone, but it's the only thing that makes sense
    I advise you get over this. My mom did the same thing when she got cancer and still does (thankfully not as much.) She wanted to find one thing that she could blame it all on and I see you trying to do the same. The real answer is that it was a combination of dozens if not hundreds of factors that resulted in your cancer. Your iPhone may be one of those factors, but it's not far from being the sole and only factor.
    Was looking up SAR values for my phone and discovered that I'm not supposed to carry my cell phone in my pocket.
    10:1 that's just CYA on the part of Research in Motion. If your BlackBerry is emitting enough radiation to merit a protective shield, it'd probably be in violation of some FCC guidelines.
    Most likely, but it's still unnerving.

• I advise you get over this. My mom did the same thing when she got cancer and still does (thankfully not as much.) She wanted to find one thing that she could blame it all on and I see you trying to do the same. The real answer is that it was a combination of dozens if not hundreds of factors that resulted in your cancer. Your iPhone may be one of those factors, but it's not far from being the sole and only factor.
    I'm not trying to blame anything on any device or person or group of people. I'm advising others to not keep their smart phones turned on in their pocket all day. It's not a smart idea. The evidence is starting to stack up, and I don't want anyone else to experience this. Just putting the word out there. Take it or leave it.
  • I'm not trying to blame anything on any device or person or group of people. I'm advising others to not keep their smart phones turned on in their pocket all day. It's not a smart idea. The evidence is starting to stack up, and I don't want anyone else to experience this. Just putting the word out there. Take it or leave it.
    '
    I guess I somewhat misunderstood. Sorry.

• I advise you get over this. My mom did the same thing when she got cancer and still does (thankfully not as much.) She wanted to find one thing that she could blame it all on and I see you trying to do the same. The real answer is that it was a combination of dozens if not hundreds of factors that resulted in your cancer. Your iPhone may be one of those factors, but it's not far from being the sole and only factor.
    I'm not trying to blame anything on any device or person or group of people. I'm advising others to not keep their smart phones turned on in their pocket all day. It's not a smart idea. The evidence is starting to stack up, and I don't want anyone else to experience this. Just putting the word out there. Take it or leave it.
    So you're saying that keeping smart phones turned on in your pockets all day will give you cancer? Go ahead, come out and say it- you already said it wasn't a smart idea, that the evidence was stacking up, etc. Now, I'm very sorry you have cancer but the cause of your cancer was probably not having your iPhone on in your pocket. It might not have helped, but if you hadn't had an iPhone in the first place, you would still probably have had the cancer. Get over this silly conclusion that radiation from devices in you pocket gave you cancer.
  • 'm advising others to not keep their smart phones turned on in their pocket all day. It's not a smart idea. The evidence is starting to stack up, and I don't want anyone else to experience this.
    If this was true, why do all of the radiation oncologists I know use BlackBerries and iPhones? That's not a smart-ass remark, either, that's just a fact. I know RadOnco docs, and they all have smartphones, and most of them keep them in their pockets.
  • The evidence is starting to stack up
    This is true, but unfotunately, it's not stacking up in support of your hypothesis.
  • I'm simply asking you to look at this and decide. That's it. :)

Then I'll feel okay.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/cell_tumors_sweden.html

I live in a rural area. A very rural area, Newton, Kansas. It's a half-hour north of Wichita.

The iPhone is a GSM phone. I should have stayed with Alltel (CDMA).
  • Can you list some of the evidence stacking up if there is so much?
  • edited September 2009
    I'm simply asking you to look at this and decide. That's it. :)
    I have looked at that(Before you linked it, in fact, but that's neither here nor there), and I've decided, but I made my decision after looking at all the evidence I could find, and not just the evidence you provide. My decision is that there is not enough evidence to support your conclusion, and that I think You're getting tunnel vision. You've looking hard at once study that goes with your point, and ignoring everything that goes against it, which is foolish in the extreme.
    I live in a rural area. A very rural area, Newton, Kansas. It's a half-hour north of Wichita.
    Are you getting Cell reception? Do you have microwaves, wi-fi and other similar devices? Then you're still drenched in EM radiation, phone in your pocket or not.
    The iPhone is a GSM phone. I should have stayed with Alltel (CDMA).
    That would have worked a treat, considering that CDMA is simply a different method of receiving data from the cell tower, and not actually any difference in how your phone works in regards to EM radiation. Especially considering that a 3G network is a form of CDMA.

Is anyone else starting to suspect that this is all just a clever ruse?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Is anyone else starting to suspect that this is all just a clever ruse?
    I would, if it wasn't for the fact that pretending you had cancer is fucked up on levels that even I (having a pretty twisted sense of humor) can't explain.
  • edited September 2009
    Let's look into the real science behind the issue.
    Another way to try to come by this information is to ask people how much they use their cell phones. However, memories are unreliable, and such methods are very prone to recall bias in the form of people with brain tumors being more likely to remember their cell phone use as having been “heavy.” That’s not even counting trying to control of the number of potentially confounding factors, such as heavy cell phone use being associated with certain jobs or professions or, especially for 10-20 years ago when cell phones were far less common, with higher socioeconomic status, or even region of the country, given the uneven penetration of cell phone technology out from the urban areas that were covered first–especially 10-20 years ago. Then there’s the shift in technology from analog to digital cell phone technology that occurred in the early 2000s, which changed the power and frequencies used.
    Post edited by Andrew on