This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090930 - Rewatching Anime

edited September 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss why we rewatch anime. In the news, Disney buys Marvel and NYAF just happened.

Comments

• Many things said tonight about rewatching anime is true.

That is all.
  • As you guys said, most of the shows I rewatch are with people who haven't seen them.

...and eva still sucks.

......except for the rebuild, that's pretty sweet.
  • When will people be able to submit panels for Connecticon? You guys said that you have already have some programming for next year, but the Connecticon website is still set up for the previous con.
  • When will people be able to submit panels for Connecticon? You guys said that you have already have some programming for next year, but the Connecticon website is still set up for the previous con.
    Sadly we don't also control the web site.
  • That website is complete ass. It's ugly on the front end and broken on the back.
  • That website is complete ass. It's ugly on the front end and broken on the back.
    Yeap. We'd volunteer to fix it, but I don't know if we have any more personal resources to spend on conventions at the moment...
  • Good episode guys. I don't normally listen past the first ten minutes of Wednesday shows, but I stuck to the end of this one.

Also, if you're worried about missing episodes, there's still that one I recorded 18 months ago...
  • I'm not a big Anime fan, but I could definitely re-watch Lain over and over again.
  • Rewatching an anime is actually an important point for me. Basically, I watch all new anime via pirating or legit streaming sites, and when I'm done with it, I ask myself, "Will I ever want to watch this again?" If the answer is yes, then I will go out and buy it if that's an option. Unfortunately that is not always an option, so there are some shows I still have to burn onto a DVD or something.
  • I'm not a big Anime fan, but I could definitely re-watch Lain over and over again.
    I marathoned Lain as a teenager.. never again.. never again.
  • I marathoned Lain as a teenager.. never again.. never again.
    I really should finish this, just to have seen it. I got about half way through and didn't continue.
    I think I'm passed the statute of limitations for watching Lain. I always intended to watch it, but never seem to be in the mood/mind frame to want to watch it when I wanted to watch a new anime.
  • So I'm actually listening to the show... and your news is Disney buying Marvel? That was a month ago... Kinda LTTP?
  • So I'm actually listening to the show... and your news is Disney buying Marvel? That was a month ago... Kinda LTTP?
    We're not 24 hours news here. We're often late to the game.
    edited October 2009
    So I'm actually listening to the show... and your news is Disney buying Marvel? That was a month ago... Kinda LTTP?
    Have you never listened to them before? They've said it enough on the show, Scrym doesn't do news, they just give commentary on news, that's unrelated to being on top of the latest of the latest. GeekNights is not a news source and you look stupid for thinking thusly.
    I marathoned Lain as a teenager.. never again.. never again.
    What? Why not? It's interesting, and not as bad as the playstation game.
    Post edited by ... on
    Have you never listened to them before? They've said it enough on the show, Scrym doesn't do news, they just give commentary on news, that's unrelated to being on top of the latest of the latest. GeekNights is not a news source and you look stupid for thinking thusly.
    Honestly, this forum is more on top of news reporting than Scrym, so if you care about news...Read the forums...Or news sites...Or newspapers...Or whatever...
  • Have you never listened to them before? They've said it enough on the show, Scrym doesn't do news, they just give commentary on news, that's unrelated to being on top of the latest of the latest. GeekNights is not a news source and you look stupid for thinking thusly.
    Yes, I have been listening to the show for years. Usually there doesn't seem to be as big a gap between the news itself and the commentary. Usually the commentary on news comes when people are still talking about it, even if that is a week or two late. I'm not accusing Rym and Scott of being AWO here, I'm just surprised it took that long to get around to it. It's not like they didn't do a Wednesday show two weeks ago.
  • Scott was the one who started the thread about it weeks ago, so it's not like we didn't know about it, we just didn't talk about it on the show.
  • Just because people don't like Eva doesn't mean they're wrong. Basing anything on that is stupid, and it makes you sound even more irrational that you did in the ban smoking thread. Liking something or not doesn't have any effect on it's quality.
  • Just because people don't like Eva doesn't mean they're wrong. Basing anything on that is stupid, and it makes you sound even more irrational that you did in the ban smoking thread. Liking something or not doesn't have any effect on it's quality.
    I'd have to agree. The fact is, too many times your opinion is stated as fact. Now, your argument is that we're listening to your show, so we want to hear your opinion, and that's true. We're just saying that having that argument is not conducive at all.
  • The best reason to re-watch anime is to make up a drinking game that is tailored to the tropes of that particular show. Here is an example for Fushigi Yuugi:
    1) Every time Miaka says "Tamahome" or Tamahome says "Miaka", take a drink.
    2) Every time you think a character is a female and find out it is a male, take a drink.
    3) Every time someone attempts to rape Miaka, take a drink.
    4) Any time anyone kisses Tamahome, take a drink.
    5) Every time Tasuki's fang sticks out of his mouth, take a drink. Two drinks if you see both.
    6) Every time Nakago rejects a female, take a drink.
    7) Every time Hotohori is narcissistic, take a drink.
    8) Every time Mitsukake's healing power fails, take a drink.
    9) Every time a character attempts to give a child a ball, take five drinks - you will need it.
    etc.
  • Kate Monster, at what point will everyone die off alcohol poisoning? Before or after say... rule 3?
  • @Kate, wow that's a hard core drinking game.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2009
    Kate Monster, at what point will everyone die off alcohol poisoning? Before or after say... rule 3?
    Seriously I don't anyone think can play that game and survive. The amount of alcohol consumed is enough to kill a man, or at least make them lose sense of the fact that he has senses.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I've probably seen Futurama straight-through about 3 or 4 times. I'm at the point where I start noticing inconsistancies and animation errors without even thinking about them.
  • Also @Kate
    10) Everytime you start to hear the end credits song and you scream, "Noooo!" ^_~

I can't tell you how many times when I was renting this on VHS, I was wishing I had the next tape.
  • edited October 2009
    The amount of alcohol consumed is enough to kill a man, or at least make them lose sense of the fact that he has senses.
    I consider that a challenge.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Kate Monster, at what point will everyone die off alcohol poisoning? Before or after say... rule 3?
    You can only watch one episode at a time if you are drinking hard liquor, or else alcohol poisoning is guaranteed. As for wine or beer, you are pretty safe.
  • The thing about drinking games is that by the time it might become a problem (with the exception of straight shots of hard liquor), people are too drunk to pay attention. So a few episodes in, most people will probably just start doing other things since the show's not interesting enough anymore.
  • I want to rewatch Bebop as a drinking game. Only one rule: "Drink when Spike is the biggest badass ever."