This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I have an idea!

edited September 2009 in Everything Else
(Edited because the original point of the post was stupid. This idea came out of that.)

Every now and then, I'll come up with a concept/webapp/product/etc. I like to write ideas down, draw out plans, and basically brainstorm the whole thing. I do this quite often, and now I have this little stack of things that I would expand upon, but I need input on my ideas from another person. Upon further thought, I had an idea for a geekchat-type event based around this idea.

Everyone brainstorms an idea up over a certain period, then at the end of that period (e.g. 2 weeks) they get together and further evolve the ideas, adding concepts and expanding upon the original thought. Basically, it would be a round-table discussion where each person presents their idea in turn. Everyone gives their opinions and comments, and they flesh out each idea. Maybe we could pick one idea as our favorite every session and we could talk about that one more at the end. I figured we could call it "I Have an Idea!".

Anyone down for this?

Comments

• edited September 2009
    Just do it. If you find you need to do something you don't know, learn it and continue. Keep doing it until it's done.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • This is something I just thought about when I went to pick up lunch for the office.

We went to Red Robin for lunch today, and it was our first time going there because they recently opened a new Red Robin near our work. I called ahead of time to speak the manager to tell him that we always make large orders and if they didn't screw up, they would continue to see our patronage. When I went to pick up the food, the manager made sure he was there to greet me and gave me several of his business cards.

This is where the idea came into mind. I'm not sure if it's already invented, but I think it's a pretty decent idea.

Instead of wasting space and the ordeal of handing out and storing business cards, people should use digital business cards. All you would really need is one business card, but it has a microchip in it to send data to PDA's, cell phones, etc. The cell phone or PDA would somehow have a scanning device or receiver like a text message of all the information on that business card along with a personal logo or image that would be stored into the PDA/cell phone in a business cards section.

I think it would be a really cool idea. You don't have to worry about carrying a business card holder or making sure you don't lose them.

I don't know. It seems a bit silly, but at the same time, I think it could work with the right software.
  • They make something similar, it's a little character (I think they make panda ones.) and you hold two of them together then, later, pull part out (It's made to look like a waving hand.) and plug it into USB.
  • I don't know. It seems a bit silly, but at the same time, I think it could work with the right software.
    There's some apps for the iPhone that do something similar to this. The only problem is that not everyone has an iPhone. It would be cool if a universal standard could be implemented so that it works with all cell phones.
  • Oh ok. I figured someone would have thought of this already.
  • There's some apps for the iPhone that do something similar to this. The only problem is that not everyone has an iPhone. It would be cool if a universal standard could be implemented so that it works with all cell phones.
    There is a universal standard for contact sharing withe Bluetooth. Technically any phone with Bluetooth should be able to share its contact info with any other Bluetooth Phone. The problem is that it's not so simple to do it, even if the phone supports it. You have to open up menus, authorize Bluetooth, pusha bunch of buttons, wait some time, hope it connects, it's a huge pain. It's much easier and more reliable to just hand someone a card and type in the number.

There are apps for the iPhone such as bump which try to make this easier, but yes, it is iPhone specific.
    Yeah, they did. It's called the MARK OF THE BEAST.
  • There are quite a few devices and services that have just one function: scanning business cards. I just use a big tin box.

My idea, from 10 years ago, was "one time email". You pay a dollar and get a list of 100 use a unique email addresses. You use them to sign up to services online, or to give to dodgy people, or to put somewhere in plain sight on the internet. You then set it to forward an exact number of emails, or all emails for a certain period of time. Usually you just need one email, to get a password or a single bit of info. Sometimes you may want a lot of email feedback on a query, but just for the next 24 hours. All email after the first email/second hour is discarded, along with the unique email address.
    Yeah, they did. It's called the MARK OF THE BEAST.
    That was great...But honestly, that has nothing to do with what the Mark of the Beast would do. It was hilarious, though.
  • But honestly, that has nothing to do with what the Mark of the Beast would do.
    You haven't met my mother. She might disagree. :)
  • But honestly, that has nothing to do with what the Mark of the Beast would do.
    You haven't met my mother. She might disagree. :)
    Fantastic.
  • I thought about getting one of these.
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/supplies/9d84/
    Then I decided against it.

After I get settled, I'm going to clean out my Google Contacts once and for all. Any business cards I get, I'm going to add to my Google Contacts, then throw the business card away.
  • I thought about getting one of these.

After I get settled, I'm going to clean out my Google Contacts once and for all. Any business cards I get, I'm going to add to my Google Contacts, then throw the business card away.
    Are Google Contacts syncable to iPhone yet?
  • edited October 2009
    I thought about getting one of these.

Are Google Contacts syncable to iPhone yet?
    They have been for a very long time. You can do it over the wire with iTunes. You can also do it over the air with Google Sync.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I'm in favor of this as it sounds very educational and a lot of fun as I am oozing with a lot of ideas for a lot of the time (although whether they are good or not is subject to debate). If this were to bear fruit, count me in as I'd love to be a part of this.
  • I've just started posting ideas on my blog again after a long hiatus. Here's one for a Firefox media browser extension.