This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Burning Geekchat

edited September 2009 in Role Playing Games
I will be running a game of Burning Wheel as GM over Skype. Our group, (which hypothetically contains me, churba, Nineless, and Gunter) will be using this thread to organize our meetings as well as develop the setting and participating characters. This is a one-off scenario with room to grow into a campaign.

Facts about the setting and plot maybe. A large human city in a low magic world. A man has stolen the macguffin, the party is brought together by the powers that be to recover said macguffin.

Nineless, churba, Gunter. You all need to work out your characters and their back-stories so we can further develop the setting and eventually play.

Comments

• You punched me to the moon! THE MOON! What do you expect me to do now, huh? Re-enter or something? I'mma need the trait: "Death-from-above: distance, up to outer-space"

Till that moment I'll think about the character.
  • and eventually play.
    Any chance of recording and posting? My internet pipes aren't big enough for a quality skype connection, but I am interested in hearing your BW exploits.

• Any chance of recording and posting? My internet pipes aren't big enough for a quality skype connection, but I am interested in hearing your BW exploits.
    If anyone knows of something decent for recording skype calls, I'll do the recording and production. It won't exactly be Geeknights or TWIT, but I'll do my best to at least bring it to a listenable level.
    Also, I might do a transcription in story form, if I'm motivated enough.
  • If anyone knows of something decent for recording skype calls, I'll do the recording and production.
    Two soundcards and a mixer...
  • edited September 2009
    Windows Linux

May I also say..

もえろおたくはなしだ!!
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Two soundcards and a mixer...
    No money or resources, but my first plan was to hack something together, or borrow some gear from the radio station(but that's kinda unlikely, because I'm not a student). I'm asking so that I can formulate a backup plan.
  • Alright, something's come up and I won't be able to make it. I don't know if you guys want to plow on through or reschedule; either way I'll be visiting friends and family tomorrow night. It seems a shame to do all of that preparing and then cancel, but this is the only chance I'll have to catch up (party) with them for a while.
  • Burning Geekchat is all ready to go, In one hour. Recordings will be available as soon as I edit them and find a place to host them.

Come, friends, and be Regaled with the tales of Thomas "The Fixer" Bloodworth, the Foul-mouthed mercenary, and his companions, the drunken sot, who is also a renowned playwright, and the enthusiastic if somewhat unlucky cut-purse.
  • edited October 2009
    Quotes from the game - "Oh shit, I've suddenly remembered I can't read"

"The only thing we learned was that Eddie doesn't like being punched in the face."

(Edited recording coming soon.)
    Post edited by Churba on
  • (Edited recording coming soon.)
    I'm pretty stoked for this. Recorded RPG sessions are usually pretty painful, but I expect a lot better from you lot.
  • I'm pretty stoked for this. Recorded RPG sessions are usually pretty painful, but I expect a lot better from you lot.
    Don't expect too much. This is the first time anyone in the group but Churba has role played, and he hasn't ever played BW.
  • edited October 2009
    I'm pretty stoked for this. Recorded RPG sessions are usually pretty painful, but I expect a lot better from you lot.
    Oh, It was painful alright, just mostly for us - and I'll edit out all the waiting around stuff and what OOC is unnecessary to hear.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Recorded RPG sessions are usually pretty painful, but I expect a lot better from you lot.
    Oh dammit, you might want to reconsider the amount trust you put in us. Seriously, it's crazy.
  • edited October 2009
    I'm listening to the recording, and the first words out of anyone's mouth is "A metal tube, with a wooden bit of wood on the end"

Edit - This is going to be the most fun editing job ever.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'm listening to the recording, and the first words out of anyone's mouth is "A metal tube, with a wooden bit of wood on the end"
    Classy. Class all the way.
  • Hey, how's the recording coming along? Are you guys still running the game? ...may I join?
  • Oh man, that game was a train-wreck. I think I need some more training as a GM, but we were planning to give it another go soon... so why not?
  • Are you full up on PCs?
  • You should join! (if we have space).
    We're full up on incompetent PCs. One me is enough, so you'd have to wait for Grey's judgement.
  • I have experience playing BW, so I have some grasp of the rules. The combat rules still escape me, but only from lack of practice.
  • We're full up on incompetent PCs. One me is enough, so you'd have to wait for Grey's judgement.
    Things we're also full on - Cursing, Hitting people, being assholes, stealing doors.
    Things we're not full on - Reading.
  • Yeah, it took far too long for me to remember that I was the only literate member of the party.
  • edited November 2009
    Yes, reading is a necessary trait amongst several members of any party. If you want to make really useful characters have them take the young lady lifepath. It is far, far more useful than most give it credit for being. I also like seeing guys play gals and gals play guys.

If I am allowed to join, please let me know the number of life paths you want starting characters to have, what races are available and if you have any particular skill set (like reading) that may be necessary. A world/party description (beyond the sketchy one provided above) would be helpful, too.

Thanks for considering me, even if you have to reject me!
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • It is far, far more useful than most give it credit for being.
    Luke Crane has stated that it's one of the best lifepaths you can find, hands down. Student is also awesome.
  • edited November 2009
    Yeah, it took far too long for me to remember that I was the only literate member of the party.
    Speaking of which, uploading the burning geekchat files now - Fair warning, plenty of swearing, abuse, and it falls all apart before too long.

Also,
    "At ease, Whatever."
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Pardon the double post, but here's the burning geekchat - I don't know the order, but here's the whole thing.
    One part.
    Another part.
    If you're not sick of it by now, here's another.
    Nearly there now.
    Last bit.
    If you joined we'd have 5 players. I think I can manage that, but I'm not sure if this is going anywhere anytime soon. I don't want to retread ground, but now that I've made a lot of mistakes I could probably run the same adventure as last time a lot more smoothly.
    Pardon the double post, but here's the burning geekchat - I don't know the order, but here's the whole thing.
    One part.
    Another part.
    If you're not sick of it by now, here's another.
    Nearly there now.
    Last bit.
    Oh no! It's out on the interwob! I can never get it back! NOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • You don't have to re-play the previous game. My character could be introduced to the party as part of a plot point in a future adventure.
    Let me know your thoughts.