This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Coffee

Who else is coffee connoisseur? How to you like your coffee? How do you make your coffee? What coffee beans do you like?

I currently use Starbucks whole been Italian roast coffee beans. I prepare my coffee in a French press. Here's my procedure.

1. Set water to boil in a tea pot.
2. Once it has boiled, turn off the heat. (this lets the water cool slightly as coffee is brewed best just below boiling temperature)
3. Grind the necessary amount of beans and pour into the bottom of the press pot.
4. Pour in water and stir for a few seconds to distribute the grounds evenly in the water.
5. Allow to steep for 4 minutes.
6. Press and then pour.

This makes me a wonderfully smooth and flavorful cup of coffee. I like my coffee with some French Vanilla creamer.

Comments

• edited October 2009
    coffee connoisseur
    I currently use Starbucks whole been Italian roast coffee beans.
    ...wat?

Otherwise I agree with your use of a french press (so long as you use a burr grinder). I come from a rather long line of coffee connoisseurs (I'm part-Colombian, it helps), and I lived just outside of Chicago, so I know and appreciate excellent coffee. I've even visited a roastery and purchased/consumed fair trade beans at the source while doing a service project in a Guatemalan village. Might I recommend Intelligentsia as the solution to your Starbucks? A good number of indie cafes are offering it (even here in central Illinois), and you'll definitely be able to find it in a city. They'll ship it, too. It's without a doubt the best coffee you can buy without getting it straight from a grower's own roaster.

I like my coffee black.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • ...wat?
    It's actually pretty tasty, the Italian roast is much darker than the typical house blend. Mostly I drink it for its ease of procurement. I'm open to new blends and will look for this Intelligentsia to you recommend.
    I like my coffee black.
    It occurred to me after I posted this that I've never had black French press coffee. I've only ever had black drip coffee and found it much too bitter. I plan to make a cup of coffee when I go home.
  • I really only like iced coffee.
  • New England Coffee makes this awesome blueberry cobbler coffee. It's great stuff in the morning.
  • It's actually pretty tasty, the Italian roast is much darker than the typical house blend.
    I have to agree. Certain Starbucks coffee blends are pretty damn tasty, like a good house wine.
    I really only like iced coffee.
    Iced espresso is the shit. Iced lattes are my morning drink of choice.
  • I like my coffee with cream and sugar. Sometimes I'll go get a fancy coffee at Starbucks, but I keep it simple mostly.
  • I rarely ever drink coffee, but when I do I pour in a bag of hot coco mix.
  • Blue Bottle Coffee Co (in/near San Francisco) is also excellent.

My coffee drinking really depends on the weather and time. For example:

-In the morning on a warm/normal day, I'll drink an iced latte. Every. Single. Day. (usually at home, sometimes at a cafe if I'm in a rush)
    -If it's slightly chill, I'll make a latte or cappuccino at home.
    -After work, I'd get a cappuccino or a mocha.
    -At a diner, I will acquire a Cup O' Joe.
    -In the evening, I might have an espresso sitting at a cafe, smoking and reading a book.

When I make espresso at home, I always use LavAzza coffee. Mmmmm. And the best cappuccino I ever had was using LavAzza beans (the red package, not black. I can't find the red ones in this country) and Strauss Family Farms whole milk. Jesus Christ that was delicious.
  • I wouldn't exactly consider myself a connoisseur, but I do love coffee. I drink it black, no sugar, and I make it in a french press, pretty much how gedavids does. I only use Starbucks coffee if I'm out of good stuff, which for me, is usually the Trader Joe's organic french roast. Starbucks is better than Folgers or Yuban or any of that garbage, but it's still not great. Mostly, it tastes burnt. Don't currently have a burr grinder, but I'm planning on getting one eventually. Also, planning to start experimenting with roasting my own beans.

Best coffee I've had == probably Stumptown Coffee Roasters in Portland, OR.
  • edited October 2009
    You all suck, anything you get over there probably sucks, Costa Rican coffee is where is at, I think some Starbucks have Britt (Costa Rican coffee brand), even percolated coffee probably tastes better than your crap with the french press.
    THIS, hot water and some 1820 ground coffee is all you need.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • I've heard about this from a friend who lived in Costa Rica for a year. He described it as "a frame that you hang a sort of sock from, and you put a mug under it and pour the water through it."
  • YES! in fact its called a "media para chorrear" kinda translates to "Percolating sock"
  • I have to say, it looks classier than I imagined. :)
  • I have to say, it looks classier than I imagined. :)
    Yeah. It's basically a Chemex with a reusable filter. Nifty.
  • edited October 2009
    I wouldn't exactly consider myself a connoisseur, but I do love coffee. I drink it black, no sugar, and I make it in a french press, pretty much how gedavids does. I only use Starbucks coffee if I'm out of good stuff, which for me, is usually the Trader Joe's organic french roast. Starbucks is better than Folgers or Yuban or any of that garbage, but it's still not great. Mostly, it tastes burnt. Don't currently have a burr grinder, but I'm planning on getting one eventually. Also, planning to start experimenting with roasting my own beans.

Best coffee I've had == probably Stumptown Coffee Roasters in Portland, OR.
    I'd say you're a connoisseur. You're so far beyond the rest of the coffee flavored water drinking public. Also I have like the cheapest burr grinder there is, but it works pretty well.
    You all suck, anything you get over there probably sucks
    yeah, but we have to work with what we have. And that's looks a lot like dip coffee to me.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Also I have like the cheapest burr grinder there is,but it works pretty well.
    Wow. 1.5 stars on Amazon. :) Although it seems like most of the complaints are that it doesn't grind fine enough, which isn't an issue for French press.
  • I don't like coffee.
  • Wow. 1.5 stars on Amazon. :) Although it seems like most of the complaints are that it doesn't grind fine enough, which isn't an issue for French press.
    I got it for $20 at Target. At full coarse ground it produces mostly evenly sized coffee grouns and small amount of fine powder which unusually ends up in the bottom of my coffee cup. I also got my french press for $12 at IKEA and my tea pot is an old and cheap tea pot my mom gave me. For a total investment of under $40, it makes a really good cup of coffee.
  • I got it for $20 at Target.
    Funny, I work at Target, and I don't recall ever seeing any burr grinders. I'll investigate further!
  • I normally get a Starbucks latte, however I when I feel like budgeting, I'll get some sort of blend that Starbucks has. They do have some really yummy blends. I have my coffee with splenda and creamer.
  • edited October 2009
    I don't like coffee.
    It's not for everyone, you either love it, hate it or never had a proper brewed cup of joe.

I'll check with my post office if I can send some coffee treats to all of you coffee lovers from the FRC. So if anyone of you wants some ground Costa Rican joe, leave a comment, I'll make the arrangements with my next paycheck.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • @MrRoboto

That would be cool, but I wouldn't want you to spend all that money on shipping. :P

I did find one of my favorite blends of coffee. It's Casi Cielo and it comes out during the winter time from Starbucks.
  • @MrRoboto

That would be cool, but I wouldn't want you to spend all that money on shipping. :P

I did find one of my favorite blends of coffee. It'sCasi Cieloand it comes out during the winter time from Starbucks.
    I'm pretty sure I can buy and send a bag of coffee for less than $15, if it's too much, I'd pick 1 or 2 at random and just send two.
  • I don't like coffee.
    Me too
  • Costa Rican coffee is where is at
    QFT. I did not drink coffee until I took a school trip to Costa Rica. Ever since I got back, coffee and fruit have just not tasted as good. I do believe that farmers in Costa Rica are wizards.
  • I'll check with my post office if I can send some coffee treats to all of you coffee lovers from the FRC. So if anyone of you wants some ground Costa Rican joe, leave a comment, I'll make the arrangements with my next paycheck.
    That's awesome of you to offer, but, like Ro, I don't want to put you out. But I just ordered a few pounds of various varieties of green coffee beans to try my hand at roasting, and I picked up a pound of Costa Rican for you.
  • This sentience should explain everything you need to know about my opinion on coffee : Dark as midnight, sweet as sin, and strong enough to get out the cup and fight me.
    Also, I come from a Culture with a strong coffee component, and every bartender is also a barista, As have I been since I was 16.
  • I just had the best coffee of my life (thus far).
  • That is a great sentence, Churba. I may use it myself.

I was out at a Persian restaurant and got some coffee a few weeks ago. That stuff was nice and strong.
  • I don't like coffee, but I have to be one of the few people who can say the feeling is mutual. Once I was working at a catering place and was transporting several tanks of coffee. Unfortunately they weren't very secure in the back, and when I made a sudden stop they tipped over and washed over my leg. The burns were pretty bad, but I came out of it surprisingly okay.

In any case, the battle apparently continues to this day when I ordered hot chocolate from Starbucks and found it mixed with coffee.