This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics worth reading

Comments

• The latest issues of New Avengers are pretty good. However, the last issue is just filler :(
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, like so many others have said, is really good. Probably the best Marvel has to offer right now.

Something no one has mentioned so far is Exiles. Not the old weird Ultraverse crap, it's only a few years old and it's kinda like Sliders and What If..? put together. There's a group of six Marvel heroes and they fix parallel universes, hopping from one to the next. It used to be really good.

Honestly, it's starting to get kinda lame. There has been a lot of writer's on and off. Chris Claremont is writing it now but I'm not a fan of anything he's done since 1990. They're almost at issue 100 now and I'd say 1 - 50 or 60 are gold. Great characters. Blink and Morph from the Age of Apocalypse are mainstays. What's cool is there are only allowed to be 6 "Exiles" at one time and if one dies, they get a new one randomly from some other universe. What made it so good was early on things were constantly happening. Characters were falling in love and dying and losing their memory, etc. Now, it's been the same team for like 20 issues, character development is at a standstill... I really hope it picks up soon.

Anyway, yeah, Exiles. I think I've written enough about it.
  • I read one issue of Exiles because Spider-Man 2099 was in it. It sucked.
  • edited September 2007
    I read about 200 dollars worth of comics a month and I would recommend anything written by Geoff Johns for DC fans, and Brian Michael Bendis for Marvel fans.

In my humble opinion the best crossover/big storyline right now is the Sinistro Corps War, read it.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I like my Sin City's, Batman Year One, Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, TMNT: City at War... I have an okay Hellboy comic...  Can't recall the name though,
  • edited September 2007

I like my Sin City's, Batman Year One, Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, TMNT: City at War... I have an okay Hellboy comic... Can't recall the name though,

Frank Miller is currently writing a comic called All Star:Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder, are you reading it?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • No. I don't buy comics unless they're graphic novels.

I was "subscribed" to x amount of comics a couple years ago and it was super retarded.
  • I've recently started reading Hellboy and BPRD. They are both pretty fantastic. Also, Joe Matt is a pretty awesome author. I read his comic Spent a little while ago and it was funny, depressing, and annoying at times, but I still loved it. I also picked up Blankets and Goodbye Chunky Rice, both by Craig Thompson. I finished both in a single sitting and was amazed. I then picked up his travel diary Carnet de Voyage, which I have not yet read.
  • Does anyone know of any good western comics? I have a sudden urge to read this genre because I saw The Good, The Bad and The Ugly again. I don't mean the Dark Tower Series mind you, it's a good book series that I need to finish, but isn't pure western, it's like a dark, twisted Trigun or Trigun a less twisted Dark Tower, depending on the release times. Also is there a trade or compilation of Flash Gordon? Wikipedia has offered no help.

Just as a suggestion a friend of mine got Superman: Red Son where superman landed in the USSR instead of the US which I was told was pretty cool.
  • Does anyone know of any good western comics? . . .

Just as a suggestion a friend of mine got Superman: Red Son where superman landed in the USSR instead of the US which I was told was pretty cool.
    There was a Rawhide Kid limited series out a few years ago that was pretty funny because the Rawhide Kid was flamboyantly homosexual but every other character in the story was totally oblivious to it. I'll link to it when I get to a proper computer.

Red Son was a great idea, but the ending was completely incomprehensible. It was like they really didn't know how to end it, so they just punted.
  • Jonah Hex is the best western (lol) comic out there right now. Preacher is semi-western. You also might enjoy Loveless from Vertigo.
  • Jonah Hex is the best western (lol) comic out there right now.
    I'll be honest: I found Jonah Hex unbearably bad. It was basically just a superhero comic that happened to be set in the west with a "western" guy. The dialog was trite, the stories were unengaging, Jonah was super-powered to the point that he was basically invincible, and everything was very, very unrealistic. The "grit" was very forced, almost as much as the humor.
  • Does anyone know of any good western comics?
    Uhh, does Preacher count?
  • Here is the Rawhide Kid in Slap Leather. The cover tells you everything you need to know about the tone of the story.
  • edited November 2008
    I just read one of the best newer books I have found in a long time. Northlanders is written by Brian Wood with art by Davide Gianfelice. If you see the first trade, pick it up. A great story about some Vikings.
    Post edited by ForcefulCheese on
  • I just got in to comics about 6 months ago. My parents wouldn't let me buy them when I was little. I just started reading a couple of new comics:

Titanium Rain
    GI Joe
    Star Wars: Legacy
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8
    Yea, I've found Whedon's work on the new Buffy and Angel series to actually be pretty good, it's a sin they can't do a regular season of Firefly instead of short hurried mini-series bursts.
  • I dunno. The Firefly comic isn't quite the same. The acting and delivery are what make it so funny.
  • I dunno. The Firefly comic isn't quite the same. The acting and delivery are what make it so funny.
    I agree. A month ago, I bought Serenity: Those Left Behind. It was a decent read and it was pretty cool to see what happened with the two men with blue gloves. I also have been rewatching the Firefly series, and I find myself laughing at new parts I've missed especially at facial expressions and the delivery of it. I think Mal/Nathan Fillion has some of the best expressions and gives the most funniest deliveries in the show. I will never grow tired of them.

Speaking of Firefly, the next trade was recently released. I might have to pick that up soon.
    Yea, I totally agree, but after reading some of his work on Buffy and Angel which were great because of many of the same reasons (though not as great ^_-) I found that the biggest problems they had were they felt rushed and were always limited to before the movie. So they could not do anything particularlly interesting, I.E. changing character dynamics or move personal plots forward more then they would have been at the start of the movie. Therefore in the comics nothing of note could happen on even a small scale. Character relationships could not be tested in any real way and instead you are left with a "Star Terk" like voyage of the week.
  • I convinced Jeremy to pick up Luuna, a Tokyo Pop graphic novel, before PAX, after reading the synopsis on the back and looking through a few pages. It's fairly entertaining and full of colorful characters, humor, action, and suspense. It's kinda like if Pocahontas and Princess Mononoke mixed. It would be cool to see this as an animated feature or series.
    On the night of her coming of age ritual, Luuna, a young girl from the mystic Paumanok tribe, enters the sacred wood. There she will face Hohopah, the Heart of the Forest, and be assigned her totem, the animal incarnation of her inner-self. But unbeknownst to Luuna, the night belongs to Unkui, the Evil On, who demands that her soul be shared!

Now Luuna is cursed with not one, but two totems: One white-the reflection of all that is good in her; the other, black-representing the darkness that resides in us all, and capable of terrible destruction.

Unable to return to her tribe, Luuna embarks on a quest to seek out the wise spirits of the earth and with their help, rid herself of the cursed totem. But little does she know that Unkui is not finished with her yet, and has set his fiendish minions on her trail..
  • Luuna, a Tokyo Pop graphic novel,
    Huh. I didn't realize that Tokyopop was publishing BD. Are they releasing any other Franco-Belgian stuff?
  • Huh. I didn't realize that Tokyopop was publishing BD. Are they releasing any other Franco-Belgian stuff?
    What is BD? >.>

I honestly have no idea if they are. I saw this at the comic shop in the young teen section and read the back, and was intrigued. I tried going to their website, but finding anything there is annoying.
  • What is BD? >.>
    BD = bande dessinée = French comics. Looks like they're only publishing one other BD, and it's a very manga-influenced one. I really wish there was a reliable publisher of BD in English, or at least a decent scanlating community. Then I wouldn't have to learn French. :)
  • I really wish there was a reliable publisher of BD in English, or at least a decent scanlating community.
    There are three I know of, NBM and Cinebook and First Second. Also, the other comic publishers in the US like to dabble in it, Marvel's Soleil line being an example of that.
  • There are three I know of,NBMandCinebookandFirst Second. Also, the other comic publishers in the US like to dabble in it, Marvel's Soleil line being an example of that.
    Yeah, I know -- I guess "reliable" isn't the right word. I should've said "I wish there was someone publishing the BD I want." NBM does Sillage/Wake, but half of it is out of print, so I ended up just importing the French books anyway.
  • Bande dessinée have been becoming more and more an obsession of mine. In many cases they seem to blend the cinematic compositions and fantasy elements that I like in manga with strong drawing technique and decent plots. My French is bad, so it would be nice to be able to read them in English. One can only hope that European comics and animation become as popular here as their Japanese counterparts. Plus, there are so many more Americans and Canadians who are bilingual in French/English than there are English speakers who can translate Japanese, so I wonder where are all the scanlations are. Get on that, people!
  • Bande dessinée have been becoming more and more an obsession of mine.
    Me too, which is not so good for the bank account.
    In many cases they seem to blend the cinematic compositions and fantasy elements that I like in manga with strong drawing technique and decent plots.
    Yes. Really, the phenomenal art is the main reason I'm interested in BD. They just have a whole other class of draughtspersons doing comics over there. I think it's an extension of France's strong art history, and the fact that comics are respected as fine art over there.
    One can only hope that European comics and animation become as popular here as their Japanese counterparts.
    As I understand it, French comics and animation aren't as popular in France as their Japanese counterparts. :/
    Plus, there are so many more Americans and Canadians who are bilingual in French/English than there are English speakers who can translate Japanese, so I wonder where are all the scanlations are. Get on that, people!
    You'd think there'd be more, huh? I've only managed to find a few series' being scanlated. And come on, a BD series is what, a 48-page book every year? I think it needs to hit a critical mass of popularity first, and it doesn't look like we're moving in that direction very quickly.
  • I read Lost At Sea today after eying it for the longest time. Completely worth it. Pretty different from Scott Pilgrim, far more philosophical and serious but still very much interjected with O'Malley's witty dialogue.
  • If you like Doctor Who, I would recommend Doctor Who: The Forgotten