This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Bad Parenting Discussion.

edited December 2006 in Everything Else
Ok, folks, here it is! The show Scrym keep threatening to do! The topic people in the forum regularly allude to!
Posted By: AprecheI don't know what is up with this disowning business. I've heard lots of people say that their parents would seriously disown them if they did this or that. I can't believe that a parent who would disown their own child, under any circumstance, truly loves that child. Well, maybe if the kid turned into a crazy serial killer, but that's about it. I need someone to convince me that a parent who would disown their kid for choosing not to go to college, or changing religions, loves their kid. It makes no sense to me. I need an explanation.
I, too, do not know why a parent would actually disown their child. But it really sucks, because I knew someone who was disowned by his parents. I was over at my friend's house one day and was told by him that his cousin from Connecticut had come to southern California to live with them because his parents had disowned him. The reason for this was because of his poor grades in high school. The year he moved here, he was going to be in 12th grade. So, he lived at my friend's house for his last year of school. He never got one call from his parents. He raised his grades just enough to graduate high school. A week before the graduation ceremony, my friend's mom got a call from the cousin's mom. He asked about her son, and my friend's mom proudly said that he was graduating high school. The mom who had disowned her son asked when the ceremony was going to be held, because she wanted to fly in and attend it. My friend's mom refused to allow her to come unless her son wanted her to. He didn't, graduated, and I never saw him again.

The community I live in is populated by very, very rich people. The only reason we live here is because we got very, very lucky to find a house that didn't cost a million dollars. The people are suburbian types, always complaining about stuff. And they all either inherited their money or worked very hard for it. So this creates two types of people: People who lived their lives when they had the chance, the people who worked for their money, and people who have to live the lives they never had through their kids, the people who inherited their money. The real problem is the latter of the two. This creates the disowning mentality. These kids must have straight A grades, be sports stars, be excellent musicians, and go to an Ivy League school. No joke. At lease half of the kids in my school, probably a lot more, have this pressure put on them through their parents. Why, you may ask? Because the parent's parents put the same sort of pressures on them, forced them to achieve what they couldn't as a child. And do you know what kind of parents the children of these parents will become? Ones that try to achieve everything they wanted to through their kids because they couldn't when they were children because their parents forced them to do everything they wanted to do when they were kids because of their parents. It's really sad. These kids have hardly any social skills because they hang out with the same batch of kids who have the same pressures put on them by their parents. And they have no lives because their schedule is crammed with soccer practice and piano lessons. It's absolutely painful to watch kids being yelled at in the school parking lot by their parents because they got a B+ on a test instead of an A. I hate to think what will happen to these kids when they grow up.

Comments

• What will happen to them when they grow up? They will go into politics and/or big business. Then they will take out their frustrations on the rest of us and try their best to make our lives as miserable as they can. Circle of life.
  • For the record, I'll refrain from saying anything as input in this discussion because my frame of reference would be improper. I have great parents, so I can't say anything.
  • edited December 2006
    For the record, I'll refrain from saying anything as input in this discussion because my frame of reference would be improper. I have great parents, so I can't say anything.
    How so? I have great parents too. They accept who I am and the choices I make. No complaints against them. And look at me inputting!
    Post edited by Sail on
  • My parents are awesome!
  • My parents are awesome!
    I agree!
  • What I meant was I have no experience with bad parents. Except for evil stepfathers. But that's usually because of alcohol and stuff... a rather different evil.
  • I know this kid in my school that was kicked out of his house by his parents and was sleeping under this bridge in town for the longest time. He always wore the same clothes and would bum a shower off of people sometimes. I never really knew until I noticed he always wore a backpack, and I asked somebody what the deal was. Thats mind blowing if you ask me. I dont know what would cause his parents to do such a thing though. Poor kid.
  • Yea... it's not a matter of ... well, I think some people aren't fit to parent children.
  • I know this kid in my school that was kicked out of his house by his parents and was sleeping under this bridge in town for the longest time. He always wore the same clothes and would bum a shower off of people sometimes. I never really knew until I noticed he always wore a backpack, and I asked somebody what the deal was. Thats mind blowing if you ask me. I dont know what would cause his parents to do such a thing though. Poor kid.
    Wow. Didn't the school do something? The teacher's must have noticed, and should have informed social services.
  • edited January 2007
    I know this kid in my school that was kicked out of his house by his parents and was sleeping under this bridge in town for the longest time. He always wore the same clothes and would bum a shower off of people sometimes. I never really knew until I noticed he always wore a backpack, and I asked somebody what the deal was. That's mind blowing if you ask me. I don't know what would cause his parents to do such a thing though. Poor kid.
    Wow. Didn't the school do something? The teacher's must have noticed, and should have informed social services.
    Yeah that's what you would think, but the school didn't get involved. At least that Im aware of. Know that I think about it I haven't seen this kid at school or around town for quite a while, so maybe they got him out of there and off to somewhere better. Thats what I'm hoping.
    Post edited by everlight on
  • That story is frightening.
    Senior State Trooper Cedric Merritt said that when Dyer was told of her son's activities, she responded: "Oh, he got out again."
    I would condone capital punishment for this level of neglect. She has failed as a human being..
    Anyway, my parents despite their flaws were pretty good.
  • There are definitely many parents out there who need a good spanking. Normally, I'm all for securing as many freedoms as possible; when it comes to parenting, in a perfect world anyway, I would advocate licensing. You have to have a license to have a car. You should have a license to raise kids. There seems to be a lot more at stake there.

Yes, I know it wouldn't work. Our social work system can't even keep up with positive placement of foster children. Don't believe me? Look at the Gravelle case for a perfect example of the complete failure of child protective services.

But in a real utopia, not an Orwellian one, we could screen out the adults who are really a) intellectual children (i.e. farking stoopid), b) drunks, c) perverts, d) simply too irresponsible, e) religious crazies, or f) not cool enough to procreate.
  • My brothers and I used to joke about my mother being the role model for the movie "Mommy Dearest!"

She had this bad habit of coming home drunk at midnight and waking us all up to clean the house. She was brutal!

I'd write more but she might find this post...