This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of your Boo-Yah (and vica-versa)

Comments

• I would say "beat him senseless" would be the more rational option. Toying with one's well-being deserves so much more retaliation than a punch to the face.
  • I would say "beat him senseless" would be the more rational option. Toying with one's well-being deserves so much more retaliation than a punch to the face.
    Unfortunately, he's already rejected violence as a viable course of action. I think the only thing left is "pack up your shit and move to a civilized city".
  • Unfortunately, he's already rejected violence as a viable course of action.
    Well, that's good. At the risk of being cliche, violence is never the answer.
    I think the only thing left is "pack up your shit and move to a civilized city".
    Truer words.
  • edited November 2009
    I think you have every right to just punch that person in the face because he went back and stabbed you in the back, so in a way his stabbing will be rebuffed with a punch in the face.
    I would say "beat him senseless" would be the more rational option. Toying with one's well-being deserves so much more retaliation than a punch to the face.
    Actually, it's a she.
    Unfortunately, he's already rejected violence as a viable course of action. I think the only thing left is "pack up your shit and move to a civilized city".
    The trouble is that I can't get a job. Even if I had one, I would have to save my money until I could afford to leave my parent's house. That's not enough. After that I would have to graduate and leave the state. I know there are liberal pockets in Texas, but I think it would be for the best if I left this logic-forsaken hellhole. And by the way, I would rather die than hurt someone.
    Post edited by Diagoras on
  • Unfortunately, he's already rejected violence as a viable course of action. I think the only thing left is "pack up your shit and move to a civilized city".
    The trouble is that I can't get a job. Even if I had one, I would have to save my money until I could afford to leave my parent's house. That's not enough. After that I would have to graduate and leave the state. I know there are liberal pockets in Texas, but I think it would be for the best if I left this logic-forsaken hellhole. And by the way, I would rather die than hurt someone.Well sometimes (in very rare cases though) violence is the answer as words cannot solve every dilemma. You may just have to overcome that because there is a time and place for revenge and it's best served cold...with no fries on the side.
  • edited November 2009
    Well sometimes (in very rare cases though) violence is the answer as words cannot solve every dilemma. You may just have to overcome that because there is a time and place for revenge and it's best served cold...with no fries on the side.
    I'm of the mind that violent revenge is an entirely useless edeavor that usually only makes the situation shittier for everyone involved. Physical violence in response to any situation where your person is not threatened will at best give you peace of mind that you could have gained through non-violent means. At worst it will leave you with injuries, jail time, worse enemies and a guilty conciense.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Okay now that is unfair right there. Sure I may have assumed that the friend was a man, but Diagoras never said it was a female at first and it was only later that he said so.
  • Okay now that is unfair right there. Sure I may have assumed that the friend was a man, but Diagoras never said it was a female at first and it was only later that he said so.
    Don't decide to be violent (or not) based solely on a person's gender. If you would slap a man for doing X behavior, then you should slap a woman for that same behavior. Either way, slapping people isn't the best of choices.
  • I'm dangerously close to the threshold in which I won't have any more Pokemon to catch in Platinum. I'm getting to the point in which all I have left to catch are Pokemon that cannot be caught in Platinum (like the Johto starters and some legendaries).
    Don't decide to be violent (or not) based solely on a person's gender. If you would slap a man for doing X behavior, then you should slap a woman for that same behavior. Either way, slapping people isn't the best of choices.
    But still, it's my belief something must be done to get back at that horrible person who went out of her way to make Diagoras' life miserable. What would you suggest is the best course of action, as something like this (especially considering the magnitude of the situation) cannot go unignored?
  • edited November 2009
    But still, it's my belief something must be done to get back at that horrible person who went out of her way to make Diagoras' life miserable.
    There's a big difference between telling someone a secret that they shouldn't know and actually going out of way to ruin a life, even if said secret has a large impact once someone else knows it.
    What would you suggest is the best course of action, as something like this (especially considering the magnitude of the situation) cannot go unignored?
    In the absence of violent/non-violent but extremely vengeful conduct, discussion seems to be the only source of redress.

Of course, if I was in Diagoras's shoes, I'd be putting the boots to people.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited November 2009
    Okay now that is unfair right there. Sure I may have assumed that the friend was a man, but Diagoras never said it was a female at first and it was only later that he said so.
    I read Yupa's post and was about to redress him for sexism, but you've already done the job.
    What would you suggest is the best course of action, as something like this (especially considering the magnitude of the situation) cannot go unignored?
    In the absence of violent/non-violent but extremely vengeful conduct, discussion seems to be the only source of redress.
    Indeed.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited November 2009
    I waited a while to calm down so I could deal with her rationally, but she won't talk to me. There's no point in getting any redress, because it won't help me. It hurts, and it is a gaping wound, but I'd rather let myself heal than ripping out the stitches by getting any sort of revenge.
    Post edited by Diagoras on
  • edited November 2009
    In my understanding of the word, redress is far from equivalent to revenge. Forms of redress include telling her you don't want anything to do with her, and talking it out to find out why she did it and possibly having her make amends.

EDIT:
    However, I managed to write about 2,000 words for my NaNoWriMo novel AND watch two episodes of Dexter. Man, that show is so good. I wish I'd brought all four DVDs of season one with me on this trip, not just the first two. I guess it means the experience will be spread out over more time...
    Yeah, I'm getting the latest series via EZTV. It is continuing to be a great show. In fact, I'd say it's better than ever.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I have A or A+ marks in all of my classes right now, except for Calc and Chem. Calc is probably a B+, Chem a B-. I'm really disappointed, as I studied so hard for my midterms in chem and calc and got completely screwed on them (a 75% on each, each one worth 20% of my grade). I'm hoping the chem grade (more important) isn't shaken too much, and I'm going to study extra hard to get As on the next set of midterms and the finals for those classes.
  • I'm really disappointed, as I studied so hard for my midterms in chem and calc and got completely screwed on them (a 75% on each, each one worth 20% of my grade). I'm hoping the chem grade (more important) isn't shaken too much, and I'm going to study extra hard to get As on the next set of midterms and the finals for those classes.
    Not that I'm an expert, but how do you study? Maybe you need to try a different tack.
  • Not that I'm an expert, but how do you study? Maybe you need to try a different tack.
    Hardcore notes/homework review. It generally works well, it just didn't work well enough in this instance.
    I would normally agree with you on this, but there are good reasons to use different methods in either situation. Women are (in my experience) much more likely to go to law enforcement when assaulted (or when they are around someone that is being assaulted), while men are more likely to take a beating and either squash the beef or plot revenge (but it really depends on whether they are alone or with friends/girlfriends etc., you have to judge the situation correctly, alone they are the most predictable). This isn't an iron rule (really depends on circumstances and the background of who you are assaulting and everyone they are with), but it works generally, and if you know a person well enough to have a reason to hit them, you can probably judge how they will react to violence.
  • Women are (in my experience) much more likely to go to law enforcement when assaulted
    In your experience? o.O
  • Women are (in my experience) much more likely to go to law enforcement when assaulted
    In your experience? o.O
    Hah, I've seen a lot of girl-fights and domestic fights... Not going around hitting women.
    I am 100% likely to go to law enforcement if assaulted, regardless of who assaulted me.
  • I am 100% likely to go to law enforcement if assaulted, regardless of who assaulted me.
    Even if that person is both poor and stupid?
  • Even if that person is both poor and stupid?
    Property crimes and situations I can walk away from are different from a physical assault. Once they cross that line, I'm doing whatever I can to send them to jail, or at least establish a criminal record for them such that I will have ammunition in the event of further reprisals. If they've physically attacked me, they already know me well enough to recognize me about town at that point, so the die is cast.

There's also the fact that I would not hesitate to defend myself with force if attacked. In that case, I need to initiate with the police to protect myself from possible liability in the event that the assailant brings charges against me later. The sooner the police arrive, the better.

If I can avoid the assault, then I wouldn't bother with the police. But as soon as someone attempts to strike me, it's over.
  • Hardcore notes/homework review. It generally works well, it just didn't work well enough in this instance.
    That's the way to do it, but everyone can have a bad day. I hope things work more to your liking next time.
  • That's the way to do it, but everyone can have a bad day. I hope things work more to your liking next time.
    Yeah, I talked to my TAs, who both say that I have a solid B in each class and can still come out of it with an A if I work hard enough. I'm just going to have to destroy the next two exams in each.
  • In college, particularly with technical subjects, reviewing past exam papers is the absolute top priority.
  • In college, particularly with technical subjects, reviewing past exam papers is the absolute top priority.
    I've already started doing so.
  • This isn't a fail so much as it is a nerve-racking, frightening, fear. Opening night for my school's production of the Crucible tomorrow and I have to head the entire backstage. I really hope the scene changes go as smooth as a newborn babe's bottom.
  • edited November 2009
    This isn't a fail so much as it is a nerve-racking, frightening, fear. Opening night for my school's production of the Crucible tomorrow and I have to head the entire backstage. I really hope the scene changes go as smooth as a newborn babe's bottom.
    I see you don't have much experience with newborn babies. It takes a few weeks before their cute little tushies acquire their super smoothness. Until then they're kinda dry.

On a related note, I've noticed my little brother has lost that awesome baby smell. This saddens me. I want to find out what makes that smell so I can keep it around forever.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on