This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What the Freak happened to the good stuff?

edited November 2009 in Anime
i was talking to one of my friends the other day and somehow we got to old tv shows. we were basically morning the loss of the good animes from tv. seriously what happened to tonami, the good adult swim, and the rest of the good shows. i use to watch anime all the time. then it went off the air.

what anime are you guys/gals mourning the loss of since they went off the air? what was your favorite part about the anime? And anything else you want to add.

Mine was Yu Yu Hakusho. despite the fact that the general plot of the show was basically save the world it somehow still kept me interested for the entire series. I worshiped this show...probably for the bishonens... sorry fangirl poked out there. lol.

I would also have to say Rurouni Kenshin was one show that i mourn the loss of. This show had a far more intricate plot than YYH. However despite the seriousness of some of the episodes the show in general was a great balance between serious and humor.

Both of these shows were without a doubt one of the best parts of my childhood. They were amazing and despite the fact they they were made to entertain they, from my perspective, instilled great values and moral that i better understand today. but like a pebble in a pond they set the ripples in motion.

I apologize for any spelling mistakes and promise to come back and proof read this post (with any luck) later today.

Comments

• Thanks to the internet, I don't have to rely on television to watch what I want to watch.
  • It's called growing up, as you experience things you become jaded to them, everyone gets obsessed with the first couple shows of a genre they encounter such as Dragon ball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho or something of that time (if your lucky Fist of the North star) but they you see other shows that are pretty much the same and wonder why are people so into that Naruto or bleach. But really it's because it's their first show of that type. Fortunately there are shows such as Cowboy Bebop or Firefly or BSG which come along and stir up the genre pot and come out with a awesome show. Most things you will encounter are going to be hideously derivative of other successiful shows. It's not that bad, just look for what your into. Also try not to look back at your childhood shows you'll usually be disappointed. ^_^
  • I was/am a Kenshin fan, and liked the sub version. Some of the voices in the dub were abysmal and some of the language didn't translate well. The show, sadly, looses a lot of steam near the end after the ShiShi-O and Einishi story arcs, but makes up for it with a great movie and two excellent OVA series. I don't think I actually watched anything on Toonami except Blue Sub No. 6, Samurai Jack, and PPG.

Toonami went the way of crappy animation because it was cheap, and went for crude laughs as opposed to anime. Part of it is because so many people can get anime via the internet and Netflix and other outlets, so the demographic has shifted away from relying on Toonami like it did seven or eight years ago.
  • Thanks to the internet, I don't have to rely on television to watch what I want to watch.
    Toonami went the way of crappy animation because it was cheap, and went for crude laughs as opposed to anime. Part of it is because so many people can get anime via the internet and Netflix and other outlets, so the demographic has shifted away from relying on Toonami like it did seven or eight years ago.
    yah watching toonami and adult swim fall like that was sad. at the time either there wasnt, or i didnt know of, any online resources to watch my shows on. i'm sure there out there now... hehe i cant wait to find 'em.

i started this topic mostly based on nostalgia btw, purely fun.
  • Oh, online access definitely changed everything. Back in the olden days of the late 90's and early 00's, most fans didn't have the knowledge or access to appropriate resources to get a hold of shows they wanted. Now, with sites like animesuki and the like, access has opened up. Why watch Naruto on Adult swim when you can watch it on Hulu whenever you want or just download it?
  • edited November 2009
    It's called TV Tropes, as you read about things you become jaded to them
    FTFY
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Hey now, TVTropes has gotten me to watch certain things rather than jade me to them. Stuff like Bokurano and Monster. It's also where I first heard of Princess Tutu.

Toonami was fun back in the day, but I don't know how much I would enjoy it now. I don't really enjoy TV anymore. Thinking back on stuff like DBZ or YYH now, I sorta get a "bleh, not interested" feeling. Like once was enough. My tastes have really moved on from shounen and the general fare that American television still hooks into.
  • Hey now, TVTropes has gotten me to watch certain things rather than jade me to them. Stuff like Bokurano and Monster. It's also where I first heard of Princess Tutu.
    I don't deny it, but oh mans if you can't discern "show formulas" for things after enough troping.
  • I still hold a candle to Toonami. Think about it. It had a representation of every major genre of anime. Harem, shonen, shojo, sci fi and mecha = Tenchi Muyo, DBZ, Sailor Moon, Outlaw Star and Gundam. In one year I was exposed to greatness and then thanks to the internet I researched these series and others like them. It was a sampler platter that is still needed for newbies. Even though a lot of fans shun some of the programming it was a starter point. Adult Swim's fare was the older level of what Toonami brought before. I still wish there was a decent after school anime block.
    I worshiped this show...probably for the bishonens... sorry fangirl poked out there. Lol.
    Gundam Wing was my bishie show. Kyah~!
  • Toonami went the way of crappy animation because it was cheap, and went for crude laughs as opposed to anime.
    I think you mean Adult Swim.

Most Japanese cartoons do not get enough ratings on TV or DVD sales to justify bringing them over.
  • I still hold a candle to Toonami. Think about it. It had a representation of every major genre of anime. Harem, shonen, shojo, sci fi and mecha = Tenchi Muyo, DBZ, Sailor Moon, Outlaw Star and Gundam. In one year I was exposed to greatness and then thanks to the internet I researched these series and others like them. It was a sampler platter that is still needed for newbies. Even though a lot of fans shun some of the programming it was a starter point. Adult Swim's fare was the older level of what Toonami brought before. I still wish there was a decent after school anime block.
    I worshiped this show...probably for the bishonens... sorry fangirl poked out there. Lol.
    Gundam Wing was my bishie show. Kyah~!
    OMG! i haven't seen Tenchi Muyo in a LONG time. I can barley remember it. Gundam Wing was cool. i think they did too many series's though. eventually it got old.
  • Outlaw Star was on Toonami. That was pretty hardcore.
  • Outlaw Star was on Toonami. That was pretty hardcore.
    I remember liking that show, but I had no sense of what was good or bad back then. Is it actually still good?
  • edited November 2009
    Outlaw Star was on Toonami. That was pretty hardcore.
    I remember liking that show, but I had no sense of what was good or bad back then. Is it actually still good?
    It sounds really cool. Spacecraft melee combat, galactic leylines, and guns that shoot spells in bullet form. I'd have to watch it again to know for sure.
  • I remember the Toonami version of Outlaw Star forbid the words "kill", "die", and "gun", as well as many other statements implying the intent of murder, sex, or homosexuality. Those restrictions on a show like Outlaw Star were kinda hilarious, thinking back on it. Still, Toonami's airing of it did get me to buy the DVDs/tapes. (OMG tapes. I was still buying tapes back then.)
  • Yes, Outlaw Star IS awesome.
  • I remember the Toonami version of Outlaw Star forbid the words "kill", "die", and "gun", as well as many other statements implying the intent of murder, sex, or homosexuality. Those restrictions on a show like Outlaw Star were kinda hilarious, thinking back on it. Still, Toonami's airing of it did get me to buy the DVDs/tapes. (OMG tapes. I was still buying tapes back then.)
    The same with Gundam Wing. I remember these two girls who carpooled, before the invention of podcasts, putting up a transcript of their conversations about the show as they drove to work. I remember it being pretty funny, like when they talked about them editing out Heero's blood, but keeping the dripping sound so it sounded like he wet himself, or the fact that Heero always had to say "destroy" rather than "kill." and they were like "How is that any better?" Ah, good times.

Also, wasn't there an openly gay character in Outlaw Star who would always flirt with the main character when he came to ask him for stuff? How in the blazes did they get around that?
  • edited November 2009
    Also, wasn't there an openly gay character in Outlaw Star who would always flirt with the main character when he came to ask him for stuff? How in the blazes did they get around that?
    They didn't. They just cut out a few choice scenes (like where he started hitting on the 12 year old boy) and changed a few lines so that they were slightly less suggestive and more TV-friendly. For example, Gene turning down what he thought was an outright plea for sex from Fred went from "I ain't gonna sleep with ya!" to "I ain't gonna dance with ya!" There was no hiding Fred's homosexuality as long as he was on screen, though.

It was sorta like Patton Oswalt's "I'm gonna fill your hoo-hah with goof juice!" joke. There's no hiding what it means, but it's a perfectly G-rated statement.
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • Anyone other than Hungryjoe and I remember Porkies, one of the earliest teen comedies?
    It was mental, with teenagers drinking and/or drunk on screen, without it being portrayed as a negative thing, just a funny thing, bare breasts abound(so to speak), and in the first movie, the first major part of the plot is that the boys Go to a Whorehouse. It wasn't devoid intellectually or morally - for example, I remember the war of words between the principal and the town pastor, with the pastor trying to prevent the school's performance of Shakespeare, The Pastor quoting lewd, lacivious, or obscene lines from Shakespeare to the principal, and the principal quoting the same from the bible right back.

It wouldn't fly these days, unfortunately, on anything but the comedy channels on cable, after the watershed, but goddamn they were good.
  • I think I've actually seen some of Porkies.
  • Oh man, how I wish Toonami was still alive and thriving. I used to watch it a lot. I'm not into anime as much as I used to be, and I think it may be caused by the disappearance of it. I have a lot of good memories, even from the bad shows.
  • Oh man, how I wish Toonami was still alive and thriving. I used to watch it a lot. I'm not into anime as much as I used to be, and I think it may be caused by the disappearance of it. I have a lot of good memories, even from the bad shows.
    i agree. i think if toonami hadn't gone off the air, or at least stayed on with some good shows (not freaking Naruto), i would still be watching anime... and blissfully enjoying it. but of course.... now we have the internet!!! yah!!! ...now i just have to find the time... *sigh*
    i agree. i think if toonami hadn't gone off the air, or at least stayed on with some good shows (not freaking Naruto), i would still be watching anime... and blissfully enjoying it. but of course.... now we have the internet!!! yah!!! ...now i just have to find the time... *sigh*
    Even without the internet, I'd still watch Toonami all the time. It's a shame.
  • I didn't see this mentioned, but YYH didn't go off the air from CN. It finished airing, except as the usual CN manners, they do not announce the change in air schedule. YYH finished its airing at 5:30am on Saturdays.
    I preferred Toonami when Tom 1.0 or even 2.0 were around, because good shows were still on. Then it got replaced with this Meguzi crap and moved to Saturdays only and became...really dumb.

But yes, I don't watch TV anymore. I just use the internet now. I don't even watch Mythbusters or House MD on TV. I just download them.
  • Remember when Space Battleship Yamato was on Toonami? Was that even Toonami? That was my first anime, and I have no idea what channel I saw it on.
  • edited November 2009
    Remember when Space Battleship Yamato was on Toonami? Was that even Toonami? That was my first anime, and I have no idea what channel I saw it on.
    "STAR BLAZERS, HURRY TO ISCANDAR!!!"

That was before I got into anime, but I think our generation only ever saw TV Yamato as Star Blazers reruns on SciFi. Could be wrong though.
  • Star Blazers was on Toonami's online thing, not sure if it was called JetStream at the time.

Being 'old' I watched Star Blazers on morning TV as a kid. Also saw Battle of the Planets, the first butchering of Gatchaman, there.
  • edited November 2009
    Hmm. :-/

I know I watched it on TV, because it was before I had access to the internet (I want to say somewhere between '93 and '96?). Something's not fitting. Either I'm crazy, or I'm a time traveler.

EDIT: So, I just did some research, and I think I saw it sometime between '95 and '97. It was before toonami, but might have been around the time Space Ghost (Coast to Coast, post-'94) was airing. Were any other channels showing it at that time? I distinctly remember my awe at seeing the first episode, even to this day.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on