This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dragon Age: Origins

edited November 2009 in Video Games
Wow, can't believe there hasn't been a thread about this game made yet. I'm about a quarter of the way through on PC and I'm loving it. It definitely brings be back to the great RPGs of old (especially when played in isometric mode) and yet has learned from lessons the newer revelations of the genre. The game definitely plays similar to other bioware games (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) and I find it quite difficult even on the normal difficulty. Anyone else been playing this game? Thoughts?

Please hide spoilers in white text.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    I'd have bought it by now if it wasn't for NaNoWriMo. I think I'll get away with buying L4D2, but Dragon Age would spell doom for my word count.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I've been too addicted to stop and post. The game is amazing. For anyone who didn't know, you can on on their the Dragon Age website, play the mini game and get in game rewards. I think it's pretty cool. Also, they are also doing a few books, a table top RPG, and they've got a comic from the Penny Arcade guys.
  • I was playing this, and I got about a quarter of the way through, but then I bought MW2 and I haven't touched it since. I might it play some tonight though, we'll see.

Otherwise, the game is wonderful. Tons of dialog, good balance, pausing combat rocks (almost feels like KOTOR), and it has a good pace. On the other hand, you can't reset your skill and ability points, so you're stuck with whatever build you picked in the beginning. Spoiler(Kinda): I specced the first mage you get as my healer, only to find you get a healer in your party later.
  • Goddammit. I think I have to buy this game.
    Playing as a Dwarf Noble is epic.
    Playing as a Dwarf Noble is epic.
    The Dwarf stuff is far and above the best. Dwarf Noble and Dwarf Commoner both rock.
  • I'm maging it up at level 9.
  • The Dwarf stuff is far and above the best. Dwarf Noble and Dwarf Commoner both rock.
    ROCK GOLEM FORM!

(I don't own it, just watch it being streamed and hanging around for hilarious talk with the host)
  • I finished today on a Human Noble background. Amazing stuff. Had a relatively good ending (I died, but that's what I wanted for this playthrough, heroic sacrifice and all), except with what happens to the dwarves. Fucked that up really badly, despite picking Harrowmont, the traditionalist "good guy". I should look into a third option in my next game..

As a note, the nug roast anecdote from one of the companions nearly made me pass out from too much funny. It's a silly joke, but for some reason I couldn't stop laughing for about a minute.
  • I'm buying a new computer so I can play it without it completely looking like ass ^_^ (Playing Mass effect while I wait)
  • ROCK GOLEM FORM!
    I'm pretty sure that's only possible when you are within the Fade realm.
  • I've been playing for a day or two now. I'm not totally addicted yet but it's been quite enjoyable so far.
  • I've heard nothing but awesome things about this game. I think I'm going to get it for the PS3, however because I really don't feel like playing this game at a computer. That's just me, though. I'll probably get this next paycheck.
  • I've heard nothing but awesome things about this game. I think I'm going to get it for the PS3, however because I really don't feel like playing this game at a computer. That's just me, though. I'll probably get this next paycheck.
    From what I've heard the combat system is far from controller-friendly. I understand the sentiment, though; I'd much prefer to play a 40-hour RPG from the comfort of my couch and big-screen TV.
  • From what I've heard the combat system is far from controller-friendly. I understand the sentiment, though; I'd much prefer to play a 40-hour RPG from the comfort of my couch and big-screen TV.
    Yeah, I've heard that too. Maybe, I'll rent the game to check it out before I make my purchase. I have a free rental at Hollywood Video.
  • How are the DLC for this one?
  • I'm pretty sure that spoilers
    Yes, that's true, only then, however that doesn't mean no ROCK GOLEM FORM! Perhaps I should add, that the stream I was following was basically just playing songs on Youtube in the background with the word 'rock' in it. It was awesome sauce.

Can't stop the Rock, can't stop the Rock. You can't stop the Rock.
  • Is there a demo yet?
  • The DLC is weird. If you buy the game new, you get a code for some free stuff, Blood Dragon Armor and a new character; but you would have to buy them if you got the game used. That's an interesting way for Bioware to make money off of trade in games. I'm sure other company's will try it. Downloading the Blood Dragon Armor in Dragon Age will also unlock it in Mass Effect 2. I think that's kind of cool. Shale is one of my favorite characters in the game and reminds me of HK47.
  • Is there a demo yet?
    No, I read somewhere that there will not be a demo in time for release, I assume they are working on one though.
  • From what I've heard the combat system is far from controller-friendly. I understand the sentiment, though; I'd much prefer to play a 40-hour RPG from the comfort of my couch and big-screen TV.
    Yeah, I've heard that too. Maybe, I'll rent the game to check it out before I make my purchase. I have a free rental at Hollywood Video.
    This is definitely one of the games where the PC version is drastically different (and better) from the console versions. When given a choice, I much prefer the isometric view. Additionally, the PC interface seems infinitely better in comparison with the console version.
  • I purchased it, but I'm putting it away until December so I can complete the shorter games I have in my pile of shame. Just finished Borderlands and I'm getting ready for Assassin's Creed 2 this week.

Once I start and finish Dragon Age, I'll probably just be getting ready to start Mass Effect 2. It will be Bioware overload time for me...and that's a good thing.
  • The sloth demon fade puzzle is laborious.
  • Dammit, I really want a new console RPG to play, and this sounds so awesome, but I don't feel like playing on the PC. However, I keep hearing how the PC controls are vastly better along with the interface, which is similar to my previous RPG playing. Boo.

I guess I'll get this on Steam, and maybe just finish up KH2 on the PS3 for my console fix.
  • Dammit, I really want a new console RPG to play
    I hear Demon's Souls is great on PS3.
  • The DLC is weird. If you buy the game new, you get a code for some free stuff, Blood Dragon Armor and a new character; but you would have to buy them if you got the game used. That's an interesting way for Bioware to make money off of trade in games. I'm sure other company's will try it. Downloading the Blood Dragon Armor in Dragon Age will also unlock it in Mass Effect 2. I think that's kind of cool. Shale is one of my favorite characters in the game and reminds me of HK47.
    Sounds like the Rock Band model with the exception that Harmonix does not allow you to buy a code later.
  • Finished my first play through (human mage) and enjoyed it, will eventually get around to playing the other origin stories and endings. Partly for the achievement (yes, sad I know) and also just to see what happens.

I had the Shale DLC insert with my pre-order, not entirely sure if it added that much but may still buy the other DLC for future attempts.
  • Between various podcasts spouting supreme praise for the game and everyone on here attesting to its awesomeness, I think I'll buy it. I'm not sure when I'll get around to it, but it looks SO good.
  • Between various podcasts spouting supreme praise for the game and everyone on here attesting to its awesomeness, I think I'll buy it. I'm not sure when I'll get around to it, but it looks SO good.
    Other than Amazon, Best Buy has it on sale for the PC for $39.99. Tonight, the buying. Squee!
  • Other than Amazon, Best Buy has it on sale for the PC for $39.99. Tonight, the buying. Squee!
    WUT.

I'm going to check my finances and see if I can do it.