This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So I was walking through campus toady...

edited November 2009 in Politics
Important! Hit play here first!
pMAtL7n_-rc

...and someone handed me a book. "Wonderful!" I said, "I love books!" I take a glance at the cover and even better! It's the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin (150th Anniversary Edition at that)! Oh how lovely it is that it's being handed out! That will teach those creationists. "

But alas...my eyes fall upon the bottom of the cover.

"GASP!" I decreed. Not THE Ray Comfort? The banana man!?

T'was him and lo and behold he was on a mission to convert dirty atheists via a Trojan horse. "Well, I suppose I could at least take a look into what he writes. Maybe he discusses how he was convinced of the deep and vetted evidence on evolution..."

So I take a gander at the introduction...
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
Well, I did find that the book was fairly heavy and was a strain on my arm when I carried it back to my apartment. Perhaps I'll do a little 'creative' editing..."
"Whoops! I accidentally all over your introduction Ray :("

And that's how I got myself a free copy of The Origin of Species!

Comments

• edited November 2009
    "Whoops! I accidentally all over your introduction Ray :("

And that's how I got myself a free copy of The Origin of Species!
    I'm actually kinda curious what that introduction has to say. Did you read any of it?
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edited November 2009
    Quickly! An opportunity to post videos of hot, smart chicks!
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Imagine how much money they're throwing away with this tactic... wasted creationists' money always makes me happy. <3
  • I'm actually kinda curious what that introduction has to say. Did you read any of it?
    It's pretty much a compilation of every Creationist argument ever. He starts with a history of Darwin and how he was actually a Christian. Then he begins to cover how the sheer complexity of DNA makes it impossible for Evolution to be true, at which point he devolves into discussion of "Transition Forms", "Missing Links", the idea of Macro vs. Micro evolution, Vestigial Organs and how they don't "add information/complexity to an organism, therefore evolution is false" and finally devolves into a Hitler/Social Darwinism arguement which culminates in a conversion attempt. Pretty weak actually. I made sure to keep the introduction in tact and I'll probably staple it together and save it, but I didn't really want it in my new book :(
  • My one friend said he'd want one but they've apparently removed chapters from the book to make is easier to refute evolution.

Honestly just toss it.
  • edited November 2009
    I hope someone produces copies of the Bible with supplementary Pastafari commentary as a humorous counter-tactic. I wouldn't even have to edit it.
    My one friend said he'd want one but they've apparently removed chapters from the book to make is easier to refute evolution.

Honestly just toss it.
    I was going to say, creationists are stupid, but if there's one thing they know how to do, it's how to cheat their way to victory.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Quickly! An opportunity to post videos of hot, smart chicks!
    I love her accent.
  • edited November 2009
    My one friend said he'd want one but they've apparently removed chapters from the book to make is easier to refute evolution.
    Wow. That's incredibly fucking sleazy. I notice that on his website, it says they "randomly" removed 4 chapters. You know, RANDOMLY. It's not a tactic. Not at all.
    EDIT: Holy shit, look at this bit of absurdity:
    Are you defacing DarwinÂ’s work?
    Not at all. We have published his entire book. Nothing has been removed. The book that we will be giving to students is the complete edition. Charles Darwin said that both perspectives should be given, and we are giving both in a 50-page Introduction. Like Darwin, we want people to read the two points of view and make up their own minds.

Please Note: When laying out the book for the first print (30,000 copies), we found that it was over 400 pages and was too expensive to be a free book. We therefore randomly removed four chapters and Darwin's Introduction, saying within the book that they could be freely downloaded at www.originextra.com But for the second print (175,000 copies) we dropped the text-size, and that reduced the entire book to 304 pages, making it affordable as a giveaway.
    "Nothing has been removed. Oh, except for the part that's been removed".
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Wow. That'sincrediblyfucking sleazy. I notice that on his website, it says they "randomly" removed 4 chapters. You know, RANDOMLY. It's not a tactic. Not at all.
    I would like to examine the dice they used to "randomly" decide.
    I love her accent.
    The ankh is just icing, at that point.
  • My one friend said he'd want one but they've apparently removed chapters from the book to make is easier to refute evolution.
    Wow. That'sincrediblyfucking sleazy. I notice that on his website, it says they "randomly" removed 4 chapters. You know, RANDOMLY. It's not a tactic. Not at all.
    Actually because he was caught, he added the chapters for the student version.
  • edited November 2009
    Send them the ripped out introduction and ask them to send you the chapters back.
    [Don't actually do this, as they then have your address.]
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Again, the version I have has all the chapters of the original.
  • How did the toady feel after you walked through him?
  • I hope these guys come to U of I. I'm going to buy a really nice edition and keep it in my bag. Then, when they offer it to me, I'll pull it out and tell them that I always keep a copy of OoS on me, and that "it's more or less my bible," and I'll thank them for helping to spread Darwin's "good news."
  • How did the toady feel after you walked through him?
    I actually ignored the first group of them that I passed by, knowing that it was the Ray Comfort version. However, I realized that this oportunity was too good to pass up, so I found another pair and snatched one from them. Honestly, it was early and I didn't feel like being confrontational with them so I just grabbed one from the dude's hand and didn't even make eye contact with him.
  • That's a dirty trick, but damned clever.
    So do the same thing with the Bible. ^_~ Free bibles for everyone!
  • So do the same thing with the Bible. ^_~ Free bibles for everyone!
    Introduction by Richard Dawkins.
  • edited November 2009
    Introduction by Richard Dawkins.
    I would go with Hitchens, actually.

This is why (watch all the videos):
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • This is why (watch all the videos):
    Wow, total ownage.
  • I thought Stephen Fry's talk in part three was even better, with lines like "The only people obsessed with food are anorexics and the obese and that, in erotic terms, is the Catholic Church."
    Of course, due to a printing malfuction, certain phrases and passages may be randomly highlighted.
  • I thought Stephen Fry's talk in part three was even better, with lines like "The only people obsessed with food are anorexics and the obese and that, in erotic terms, is the Catholic Church."
    Absolutely brilliant line. But I do think that Hitchens brought up more points, particularly ones that I tend to use in these kinds of debates.
    I love her accent.
    3rded, that was an awesome video when I first saw it.
  • I would go with Hitchens, actually.

This is why (watch all the videos):
    Oh damn!
  • Just throwing in my two cents that they were handing these out by the droves to students at Duke University today. And in case anyone was interested in reading it, here's the PDF link to the introduction that's at the beginning of the book.
  • The forum should load the Maple Leaf Rag automatically any time Steve, Kilarney, and Joe post in the same thread.
  • They were also handing them out at Auburn.