This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Movies you Hated as a Child, but now Love

edited September 2007 in Movies
I'm amazed at the number of movies I hated when I was younger, but now love. I used to hate movies like The Little Mermaid, Mary Poppins, Alien, Fantasia, Alice in Wonderland, My Neighbor Totoro, and many others.

What are some movies you have revisited and loved?

Comments

• Star Wars episode 4.

Of course, I saw it at the age of 3, and watched it again at 6 and loved it. So...
  • Space Odyssey: 2001.
  • edited September 2007
    Space Odyssey: 2001.
    the same goes for me
    Post edited by Jain7th on
  • The Dark Crystal, freaked me the fuck out as a kid.
  • I still have not seen 2001, and that amazes me.
  • I still have not seen 2001, and that amazes me.
    It's on AMC in 10 minutes.
  • While I don't "love" it now per se, the movie Beetlejuice scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. I just recently saw it again when it was was aired on TV, and finally realized that it was supposed to be silly and campy.
  • I love Beetlejuice. That movie is hilarious and fucked up.
  • I didn't used to like Bambi, but now I can appreciate it for it's amazing art work. Disney (the person) was a racist bastard, but a genius with a beautiful style of art.
  • I remember really, really hating westerns when I was a kid, but I'm a pretty big fan of them now. I think I saw The Good The Bad And The Ugly as a child, and I didn't like that originally.
  • I could never watch the Muppets as a kid, because Beaker scared the piss out of me.
  • AbZAbZ
    edited October 2007
    I really hated the movie series of The Neverending Story mainly because it was the only movie my primary school played during free time, but now I reckon it was a cool concept for a movie.
    Post edited by AbZ on
  • Blade Runner literally bored me to sleep as a kid, and now its my favorite movie.
  • I don't think I liked Tron when I was very young, but love it now.
  • I used to be indifferent to Kiki's Delivery Service when I was a kid. Now I love it.
  • The first movie I saw in a theater was Tremors. I was so scared after the sheep herder died, I had leave and my friend's mom comforted me while we waited for the movie to end. Now I love watching the crappy movie, but deep down I cry a little.
  • Oh God, Nearly all 80's violent Anime (Stuff like Fist of the North Star, Genocyber, Demon City and such like that) which I now really like in some weird way....
  • crappy movie
    You take that back! Tremors is a masterpiece of cinema!

I too used to dislike Bladerunner and 2001. Now they're two of my favorite movies.
  • I too used to dislike Bladerunner and 2001. Now they're two of my favorite movies.
    Kids don't have the attention span for those movies. I did love the apes scene in 2001 as a kid, though.
  • I too used to dislike Bladerunner and 2001. Now they're two of my favorite movies.
    Kids don't have the attention span for those movies. I did love the apes scene in 2001 as a kid, though.
    The thing about 2001 that I love is the cinematography as it has many beautiful shots. Plus it's one of those awesome movies that makes you think, and that's always a good thing in a movie.
  • crappy movie
    You take that back! Tremors is a masterpiece of cinema!

I too used to dislike Bladerunner and 2001. Now they're two of my favorite movies.
    I could watch Bladerunner again and again just for the visuals.
  • I didn't like any over-the-top bloody/violent movies when I was young. Now I find some of them funny.
  • I loved 2001 when I was a kid...but I had to fast forward through the the ape part, I didn't like the seeing the dead animal parts. I would watch the rest of the movie over and over again.
  • I didn't like any over-the-top bloody/violent movies when I was young. Now I find some of them funny.
    My work here is done.
  • I never liked, and still don't like, many horror films. A lot of them are growing on me now; however, I hold a more or less universal disdain for slasher films.
  • I used to hate The Empire Strikes Back when I was in elementary school, because every time I had to go to the afterschool program when my parents were doing shit, they threw it on. I must have seen it a good dozen times and, being too young to appreciate it, got so sick of it that it was not until I saw The Phantom Menace that I returned to the originals. I also used to hate The Godfather, Part II (it being the only one I had seen, and even then only in part) because it bored me to tears to watch. It was not until late in high school that I gave them another go.
  • When I was young, Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star was the stupidest thing ever, and I avoided it. I suppose I thought it was somehow lowbrow.

Now that I am older, however, I intensely enjoy it in a non-ironic fashion. It's basically just a manly soap opera.
  • I used to hate The Empire Strikes Back when I was in elementary school, because every time I had to go to the afterschool program when my parents were doing shit, they threw it on. I must have seen it a good dozen times and, being too young to appreciate it, got so sick of it that it was not until I saw The Phantom Menace that I returned to the originals. I also used to hate The Godfather, Part II (it being the only one I had seen, and even then only in part) because it bored me to tears to watch. It was not until late in high school that I gave them another go.
    This story serves as a warning to me if I ever raise kids... don't overwhelm or beat into them the good stuff...
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2009
    The notable movie that fits into this criteria for me personally is Edward Scissorhands. I hated that movie when I first saw it when I was like, god, I must have been 12 or 13. I was really scared by it because of the Gothic tone and the uncomfortable imagery that was present throughout the movie (in more ways than one). I didn't see it again until I was 17, by that time I could sympathize and relate to it more. Anyway, I saw it again and I was weeping by the time it was over. It really had an impact on me and I totally wasn't expecting it.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • When I was young, Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star was the stupidest thing ever, and I avoided it. I suppose I thought it was somehow lowbrow.

Now that I am older, however, I intensely enjoy it in a non-ironic fashion. It's basically just a manly soap opera.
    It transcends manly soap opera...Fist of the North Star so manly and kickass that it is its own genre.