This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Good Dubs

edited December 2009 in Anime
This is a place to name shows that have good dubs, as the title suggests. Here's some of my favorites. Nostalgia is welcome and encouraged.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC
Black Lagoon
Captain Tylor(Until the OVA's. That damn kid, Bobby I think his name was, was unbearable)
Cowboy Bebop
School Rumble

Comments

• I'll second Black Lagoon.

Hmm. I can't really start naming things off because I'm sure people would disagree. I seem to be one of the few who likes dubs as much as I do subs, so I love a bunch.
  • The Spanish dub and script of "The emperors new groove" goes as far as being superior to the original English version.
  • The Spanish dub and script of "The emperors new groove" goes as far as being superior to the original English version.
    I can't imagine that, being that The Emperor's new groove was one of my fav diseny movies.

As for dubs, I tend to not really judge them because for me they are tools to be able to multi-task while I watch anime. Since I don't understand japanese the only way I can do a chore while watching Anime is to have it dubed, so I'll put up with mostly anything. My biggest problem is the anime I really want to watch Patlabor, LOTGH and Macross are all sub only...
  • Eh, Patlabor has a dub.
  • Eh, Patlabor has a dub.
    Really? hmmmm.. I've had the boxes for over year (the TV series and OVA(I know the movies are dubbed)) I assumed they didn't have a dub because the show isn't that popular over here... I'll have to look at the box again tonight...
  • I also second both GITS:SAC and Cowboy Bebop. And though few of them are perfect, Disney has done a good job with all of the Ghibli films. For me personally, I also include Neon Genesis Evangelion, though most people seem to hate that dub. As far as I'm concerned it's one of the only good dubs ADV ever did, Excel Saga being a great second.
  • For me personally, I also include Neon Genesis Evangelion, though most people seem to hate that dub. As far as I'm concerned it's one of the only good dubs ADV ever did, Excel Saga being a great second.
    I can second both of those and add the dub of Azumanga Daioh. I actually enjoy the dub more than the sub because so much of the humor relies on the intonation of the voices.
  • For me personally, I also include Neon Genesis Evangelion, though most people seem to hate that dub. As far as I'm concerned it's one of the only good dubs ADV ever did, Excel Saga being a great second.
    I can second both of those and add the dub of Azumanga Daioh. I actually enjoy the dub more than the sub because so much of the humor relies on the intonation of the voices.
    Oooo, good call. I forgot about that one. Totally agree.
  • ...I don't watch dubs, for the most part.

I do like the Tank Police dub, though.
  • For FLCL, the English dub is >= the Japanese one. They brought in the original director to give input on the English vocal performances, as well as to write a few new jokes to replace a lot of the lesser known Japanese cultural references. It's the most perfect dub I've ever heard. I almost exclusively watch the English version of FLCL.
  • The second dub of One Piece is actually really good, shame I'm past the point in my life in which I would actually watch the anime.
  • The second dub of One Piece is actually really good, shame I'm past the point in my life in which I would actually watch the anime.
    Out of curiosity, why do you watch it?
  • Out of curiosity, why do you watch it?
    I really enjoy One Piece, the characters and settings are really interesting and imaginative, it's genuinely funny, and distinctly weird.
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2009
    I really enjoy One Piece, the characters and settings are really interesting and imaginative, it's genuinely funny, and distinctly weird.
    Granted, the characters and setting kick @$$! But alas it suffered the same fate every shonen fighting show does.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited December 2009
    Granted, the characters and setting kick @$$! But alas it suffered the same fate every shonen fighting show does.
    I'm going to have to disagree (but only with regards to the manga). Most of the arcs themselves are relatively self contained, so you can start or stop at your leisure with only a small amount of background knowledge (such as what Devil Fruit are and what they do, motivations, and some things like what the Grand Line is and who the Seven Warlords of the Sea are), but if you keep reading, each arc is distinctly different from the last. Yes, it has gone on for a very long time, and reading all of it would take forever, but it's not a waste of time in my book.

Also, Tony Tony Chopper is reason enough to read One Piece.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
    I only do when I am only nominally watching something while I do something else or when I have a headache.
  • edited December 2009
    For FLCL, the English dub is >= the Japanese one. They brought in the original director to give input on the English vocal performances, as well as to write a few new jokes to replace a lot of the lesser known Japanese cultural references. It's the most perfect dub I've ever heard. I almost exclusively watch the English version of FLCL.
    I have actually never seen that in Japanese.
    ...I don't watch dubs, for the most part.
    Usually, I side with the Japanese audio as well. But if it's dubbed by Geneon or Bandai or recommended to me, I tend to check it out for at least one episode.

Finally, to end this monster post, I forgot to put in a word for the dubs of Coastal Carolina Sound Studios, most of which are released by AnimEigo. They did the dubs for the Oh My Goddess OVAs and Special Duty Combat Unit Shinesman. They tend to do comedy very well.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
    I only do when I am only nominally watching something while I do something else or when I have a headache.
    I do when I buy the DVDs, because I figure getting to hear the dub is part of the reason I paid for it. Dubs have been getting better and better and I like hearing the American companies' interpretation of the characters. If the dub is crap, I just switch it back to its original.

Wolf's Rain - Its dub is up there with Cowboy Bebop if you ask me.
    Lucky Star - The translation was so accurate that they kept some Japanese language jokes (though I'm not sure why), all honorifics and cultural remarks were left in tact. Plus they used my two favorite dub actresses to play Konata and Kagami, and even tried to match up the Lucky Star actors to their Haruhi actors in the same way the Japanese versions did.
    Baccano - It's a good one, especially that guy playing Ladd. Plus it takes place in America, so English is appropriate. And fuh once dey got demselves an excuse to give everyone a New Yawk accent.

Right now I'm checking out the Spice and Wolf dub. It's not too bad (Lawrence is a little eh), and they actually tried to find a way to interpret Holo's archaic dialect into English. I like when dubs pay attention to details like that.
    I do when I buy the DVDs, because I figure getting to hear the dub is part of the reason I paid for it. Dubs have been getting better and better and I like hearing the American companies' interpretation of the characters. If the dub is crap, I just switch it back to its original.

Wolf's Rain- Its dub is up there with Cowboy Bebop if you ask me.
    Lucky Star- The translation was so accurate that they kept some Japanese language jokes (though I'm not sure why), all honorifics and cultural remarks were left in tact. Plus they used my two favorite dub actresses to play Konata and Kagami, and even tried to match up the Lucky Star actors to their Haruhi actors in the same way the Japanese versions did.
    Baccano- It's a good one, especially that guy playing Ladd. Plus it takes place in America, so English is appropriate. And fuh once dey got demselves an excuse to give everyone a New Yawk accent.

Right now I'm checking out the Spice and Wolf dub. It's not too bad (Lawrence is a little eh), and they actually tried to find a way to interpret Holo's archaic dialect into English. I like when dubs pay attention to details like that.
    Indeed, Lucky Star and Spice and Wolf especially.
    Does Revy say "Damn Damn Fuck" in the English dub? If not, it's inferior to the subs.
    Does Revy say "Damn Damn Fuck" in the English dub? If not, it's inferior to the subs.
    Yes, many times.