This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• The Pagemaster
    That is one of the most boring movies I have ever had the misfortune of sitting through.
    I used to love it, now I look at it, I don't know why I did.
  • edited December 2009
    I just saw Streets of Fire and Rocky Horror Picture Show back to back last night... mind blown twice in one night. Distinctly different reasons though.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • RymRym
    edited December 2009
    The Pagemaster was a big movie that, by the time it came out, was aimed at a younger demographic than my own, and I thusly ignored it. Big marketing, lushly animated trailers touting Macaulay Culkin in the lead, with Patrick Stewart, Whoopi Goldberg, Leonard Nimoy, Christopher Lloyd, and probably a bunch more I forget on the billing: everything pointed at this being one of those "all star" movies that are usually hyped beyond belief but rubbish if actually seen.

I recall, upon actually seeing it later, that it was awful.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I just watched District 9 again with my mother yesterday. She loved and that is saying soemthing from a person the dislikes Sci Fi movies :P
  • Has Drag Me To Hell been out long enough so that it may be discussed without someone whining about spoilers?
  • With a title like Drag me to Hell don't you kinda know what is going to happen especially when it's done by the director of Evil Dead...(which in fact had Evil Dead)
  • With a title like Drag me to Hell don't you kinda know what is going to happen especially when it's done by the director of Evil Dead...(which in fact had Evil Dead)
    What would Lucas have named The Phantom Menace if his titles were as descriptive as Raimi's? How about Annoying Kid Duels with Annoying CGI to See Who is More Annoying?

I usually disdain talking about hopes for sequels, but I'd love to see a sequel for Drag Me To Hell. I think it should take off with the boyfriend, having seen the girl dragged to hell, going back to the psychic guru dude, telling him what he saw and asking if anything could be done. Then the guru dude would say something along the lines of , "There is a chance you can save her, if you find and successfully utilize this rare magical object thingee which you can only find IF YOU TRAVEL TO HELL." The title of could be Save Me From Hell, which would guarantee publicity through the many protests that Christian groups would initiate.

This movie had the best use of an anvil ever seen outside of Roadrunner cartoons. I laughed myself hoarse over that scene. An anvil? Really?
  • Has Drag Me To Hell been out long enough so that it may be discussed without someone whining about spoilers?
    I believe that the unofficial "Statute of Limitations" is about 10 years, unless no one has been able to see it (Space Runaway Ideon), or everyone needs to have seen it. Long story short, better safe than sorry.
  • This movie had the best use of an anvil ever seen outside of Roadrunner cartoons. I laughed myself hoarse over that scene. An anvil? Really?
    It also had the best use of a talking goat that I have seen in a long time.
  • This movie had the best use of an anvil ever seen outside of Roadrunner cartoons. I laughed myself hoarse over that scene. An anvil? Really?
    Goats are cool. We neeed more goats in movies.
  • Goats are cool. We neeed more goats in movies.
    Then you need to see The Men Who Stare at Goats if you haven't already.
    What about Pan's Labyrinth? Sure it's a faun, but it still has a similar morphology of one.
  • I've been watching my holiday regulars recently, and I am amazed that Jon Favreau went from directing Elf to directing Iron Man. They're so different in almost every conceivable way that it makes watching the former even funnier.
  • Goats are cool. We neeed more goats in movies.
    Then you need to see The Men Who Stare at Goats if you haven't already.
    This. That movie was some of the most fun I've had in a while, and managed to be poignant as well.

That said, Pirate Radio is just fuckin' hilarious. "Well done, Twat!"
  • edited December 2009
    So I took a chance on an older movie called Vivacious Lady starring Ginger Rodgers. I loved it and it was truly hilarious in a timeless way. It's about a professor and a nightclub singer hitting it off and then marrying the next day. The conflict of it all it that he has to keep it a secret from his ivy league leading rich family. Add in his playboy cousin helping, his proper "fiance" and the funniest chick fight ever I think it's worth a try. It's a feel good movie.

Recently I've been more into Star Trek so I watched Star Trek IV which is more time travel hilarity and based around a bad save the whales plot. I was entertained by the silliness of this movie, but it had an okay ending. Nothing to write home about or worth a re-watch anytime soon.

I also seen Star Trek: First Contact with the TNG crew I cut my teeth on. While it had serious flaws it make up for it with pure heart and awesome scenes. Plus, it has the freekin' Borg! It's attached to The Best of Both Worlds episodes. (Which are highly regarded in Star Trek: TNG as awesome!) Plus, I love Picard. Patrick Stewart for the win. Forever!

And I watched Hot Fuzz. Great the 3rd or so time. For the greater good.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited December 2009
    Adding In The Loop to my favorites of '09, along with Antichrist and Bad Lieutenant. I laughed at this movie more than I can remember laughing at any movie I've watched in a long time. Malcolm Tucker is a bad ass. Super NSFW.

Post edited by whatever on
  • Adding In The Loop to my favorites of '09, along with Antichrist and Bad Lieutenant. I laughed at this movie more than I can remember laughing at any movie I've watched in a long time. Malcolm Tucker is a bad ass. Super NSFW.
    There's an entire few seasons of a TV show for that, and since it was shown after the watershed on BBC, all uncensored.
  • HasDrag Me To Hellbeen out long enough so that it may be discussed without someone whining about spoilers?
    I believe that the unofficial "Statute of Limitations" is about 10 years, unless no one has been able to see it (Space Runaway Ideon), or everyone needs to have seen it. Long story short, better safe than sorry.
    Bullshit. The Statute of Limitations on spoilers is inversely related to the popularity of a piece of media.

Snape kills Dumbledore.
  • Snape kills Dumbledore.
    Spike dies.
  • edited December 2009
    The original Pink Panther. I find David Niven very alluring, and I loved the humor. It's a shame that Claudia Cardinale's voice was dubbed, though.
    Post edited by Diagoras on
  • Spike dies.
    Tyler Durden is the Narrator's split personality
  • There's an entire few seasons of a TV show for that, and since it was shown after the watershed on BBC, all uncensored.
    Yeah, I've been watching it on youtube. It's gold.
  • Okay, I guess if this thread is going to have random spoilers it'll be yet ANOTHER thread I won't be reading or posting to.
  • Okay, I guess if this thread is going to have random spoilers it'll be yet ANOTHER thread I won't be reading or posting to.
    Yeah. It's one thing to spoil something accidentally in casual conversation, but it's another thing to spamspoil like that.

Of course, spoilers are the danger of engaging in communication of any kind, so it's hard to have a definite rule about it. Still, punk kids, don't spamspoil.
    Yeah. It's one thing to spoil something accidentally in casual conversation, but it's another thing to spamspoil like that.

Of course, spoilers are the danger of engaging in communication of any kind, so it's hard to have a definite rule about it. Still, punk kids, don't spamspoil.
    This.
  • I was going to see Avatar, but I missed the showing and I saw the Princess and the Frog again.
  • I was going to see Avatar, but I missed the showing and I saw the Princess and the Frog again.
    Good choice. It's the green, it's the green, it's the green you need...instead of the blue.
  • I started watching Transformers 2 and was about 2/3rds the way through when I was compelled to shut it off and delete the file.
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2009
    I started watching Transformers 2 and was about 2/3rds the way through when I was compelled to shut it off and delete the file.
    Why did you torture yourself like that? Even Mike Nelson who was doing the RiffTrak for that said (paraphrase btw) it wasn't enough to save this abortion of filmmaking.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I started watching Transformers 2 and was about 2/3rds the way through when I was compelled to shut it off and delete the file.
    I actually enjoyed most of Transformers 2 (except for the twins, they can die in a fire). It's the kind of movie that you shut your brain off for.