This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What would you name your child?

Comments

• That is made of win.
  • That is made of win.
    Or complete fail.
  • I think its kinda creepy to come up with a list of baby names when they are so far in the future... (babies scare me)
    Although I do know that in the off chance that I have a set of girl and boy twins, they will be named Luke and Leia, and my husband will have to deal with it.
  • If I were to ever adopt a boy, I would name him nothing less than Horatio Adama.
  • If I were to ever adopt a boy, I would name him nothing less than Horatio Adama.
    FTW.
  • Our children are going to hate us.
    Good. Maybe little Thor will learn to channel his rage. He'll need to be able to do that come Ragnarok.
    Will you give him a toy Mjöllnir?
    This is a silly question. Of course not. It'll be a real one.
  • This is a silly question. Of course not. It'll be a real one.
    Well, he'll have to work up to it. We'll start him with a claw hammer as an infant, give him a sledge as a toddler, and hopefully he'll be up to wielding the real thing by the time he's 7.
  • This is a silly question. Of course not. It'll be a real one.
    Well, he'll have to work up to it. We'll start him with a claw hammer as an infant, give him a sledge as a toddler, and hopefully he'll be up to wielding the real thing by the time he's 7.
    If he has a twin brother, name him Loki. Use favoritism to lift Thor up and push Loki down. Drive a wedge of sibling rivalry between them.

Cause Ragnarok.
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2009
    Two of the names I chose are named after people who are or were important to me and made a difference in my life in some way (of varying intensities as well).

The name Adam is named after a guy that is friends with my brother and I. We've known him so long and he and his family have been such good friends of ours, he is pretty much a member of the family.

The name Kathryn (which I feel is the more stronger of the two) is named after my teacher in the Drama Club who sparked my passion and love for the theater, which has since influenced many other aspects of my life. She is also a good friend as well and a sweet and well-meaning person.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • So, You're gonna name your kids Kate and Adam?
  • Assuming I have complete control I'd probably pick Natasha Ivy if it's a girl, or Eli Abhai if it's a boy.
    Oh...I see what you were getting at. The fact that I know four people with those very same names, not to mention the fact that all four of them (save Kate and Adam Macintyre-Ross) have nothing to do with each other, is entirely coincidental.
    Oh...I see what you were getting at. The fact that I know four people with those very same names, not to mention the fact that all four of them (save Kate and Adam Macintyre-Ross) have nothing to do with each other, is entirely coincidental.
    Glad you picked up on that; I was hoping you would.
  • Just for the record, my real name is Kathleen.
    Also, I would not recommend that you name your kid any variation Kathrine/Kathleen. The names are so common that they will always need a nick name because 20 other people they know have that name.
  • If he has a twin brother, name him Loki.
    We have already had the discussion forbidding Loki as a name for any of our children. I am not dealing with the consequences of that shit. Names have power, man!
  • I've been mulling the names Gaius and Howard over in my head for a boy... haven't really thought of girls' names, but I've always liked the name Julia.
  • What is with all the "not thinking about female names" going on in this thread?
    Also, Gaius is a great name.
  • As it's a family tradition for girls to have Greek names, I think Minerva would be nice.
  • As it's a family tradition for girls to have Greek names, I think Minerva would be nice.
    Would you call her Minnie or Erva for short?
  • edited December 2009
    Also, I would not recommend that you name your kid any variation Kathrine/Kathleen. The names are so common that they will always need a nick name because 20 other people they know have that name.
    I second that - With the ex, Even in her small group of friends, there was at least four Catherine-homonym names, including her. More, if you count the fringes of the group, such as girlfriends, occasional participants in their stuff, etc, etc.

(Also, this is a group of about ten, maybe twelve people.)
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited December 2009
    @Kate: Depending on whether I ever settle in Japan, Minerva would probably be the middle name. I would probably also save her the grief of having McDonald for a last name (Damn you Ray Croc!).

I knew a tonne of Dans and Katherines once. Catherine is probably worse, as there are so many variations on the name Kate.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited December 2009
    Catherine is probably worse
    Most likey, young man, most likely <./bitterasshole>
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Also, I would not recommend that you name your kid any variation Kathrine/Kathleen. The names are so common that they will always need a nick name because 20 other people they know have that name.
    I second that - With the ex, Even in her small group of friends, there was at least four Catherine-homonym names, including her. More, if you count the fringes of the group, such as girlfriends, occasional participants in their stuff, etc, etc.

(Also, this is a group of about ten, maybe twelve people.)
    It doesn't matter to me, I'm still going to do it. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • Most likey, young man, most likely <./bitterasshole>
    I was trying to point out how many different spellings I could fit into a single post.

Also, are you mixing up your syntax? < / is for HTML ./ is to do something to a file in the current directory.
  • Also, are you mixing up your syntax? < / is for HTML ./ is to do something to a file in the current directory.
    No, It's just that if I put it down regularly, it doesn't show up, so I put in a full stop to make it show up.
  • edited December 2009
    May I just say. Men = Mr, Women = Ms or Mrs. If you are going to have some weird prefix, don't expect me to remember.
    May also apply to married women who use Miss.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • May I just say. Men = Mr, Women = Ms or Mrs. If you are going to have some weird prefix, don't expect me to remember.
    What about Master?
  • What about Master?
    Only if they're either a child, or you're getting into a bit of BDSM with them.
  • May I just say. Men = Mr, Women = Ms or Mrs. If you are going to have some weird prefix, don't expect me to remember.
    May also apply to married women who use Miss.
    What if one inherits a title of knighthood?
  • What if one inherits a title of knighthood?
    I didn't think I'd have to specifically state "Obscure/Rare exceptions not-withstanding.".