This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Genre: Podcast?

edited January 2007 in GeekNights
Would it be any trouble for you two to change whatever setup might be relevant so that the ID3 tag in your mp3s is "Podcast"? It recently would have made things more convenient for me, and I imagine it might for other listeners too. I really have no idea how RSS feeds work with regards to the mp3s themselves, or how RSS catchers would react to that so I honestly have no idea if I'm asking for a couple of minutes work or something completely unreasonable, so feel free to tell me if its the later.

On an unrelated note, look at this really nifty thing I just taught myself shell scripting to make:
#!/bin/bash
#A Script to load those podcasts downloaded within
#last day to the mounted Ipod and remove all others
#Incidentally, also my first shell script
cd ~/Podcasts
echo "Deleting Old Podcasts from Ipod"
gnupod_search.pl -m /media/ipod -g "Podcast" --delete
gnupod_search.pl -m /media/ipod -l "Geeknights 2" --delete
now=$(date +'%s')
for file in */*.mp3
do
if [ $[$now-$(date '+%s' -r "$file")] -lt 80000 ]
then
echo "Uploading $file to Ipod"
gnupod_addsong.pl -m /media/ipod "$file"
fi
done
for file in */*.{ogg,flac}
do
if [ $[$now-$(date '+%s' -r "$file")] -lt 80000 ]
then
echo "Uploading $file to Ipod"
gnupod_addsong.pl -m /media/ipod "$file" --decode=mp3
fi
done

echo "All Files Uploaded"
mktunes.pl -m /media/ipod
umount /media/ipod
echo "Ipod Ready to be Removed"

Comments

• Ummm...I don't see how it would be useful at all, assuming you are using iTunes and all your podcasts go in their own lil' place, what does it matter what the genre is? And you do realize, if it is truly vital, you could just change the ID3 tag yourself?

That script on the other hand...very useful =)
  • assuming you are using iTunes
    Not everyone uses iTunes.
  • Not everyone uses iTunes.
    Exactly. I don't have an iPod, and iTunes by itself does not please me.

My media library has grown to the size where I've lost the overview, and have to use a media player with a database to find stuff. I currently use Foobar2000, and use genre select as the main browsing tool. It would be more convenient if GeekNights had the genre set to "Podcast". There are workarounds, and this is certainly not the most important thing in my life, but I second Symmetry's request for genre change.
  • Ok, tell us the number for the podcast genre.
  • There is no number for podcast in id3v1, but in v2 you can set it to whatever you want, as far as I can see. As an example, the podcasts from the Norwegian broadcast company have blank v1 genre tag, and the v2 tag set to "Podcast".
  • There is no number for podcast in id3v1, but in v2 you can set it to whatever you want, as far as I can see. As an example, the podcasts from the Norwegian broadcast company have blank v1 genre tag, and the v2 tag set to "Podcast".
    This is the program we use to set the id3 tags. If you can tell me how to set the genre to podcast using this program, we'll do it.
  • edited January 2007
    The program you linked doesn't allow you to include arbitrary Genre labels, and it seems to be working with the ID3v2.0 rather than the newer ID3v2.4 standard. Not surprising since it doesn't seem like there's been any work on the code since ID3v2 first came out. I've never actually contributed to an Open Source project before, but I"m pretty sure I can modify the code so that it works with the newer standard. Its not a big program, the biggest file in the .tar is the GPL after all :).
    Post edited by Symmetry on
  • The program you linked doesn't allow you to include arbitrary Genre labels, and it seems to be working with the ID3v2.0 rather than the newer ID3v2.4 standard. Not surprising since it doesn't seem like there's been any work on the code since ID3v2 first came out. I've never actually contributed to an Open Source project before, but I"m pretty sure I can modify the code so that it works with the newer standard. Its not a big program, the biggest file in the .tar is the GPL after all :).
    Ah, now I see. ID3v2.4. I never really bothered with ID3 tags, so I don't know any of this stuff. In the olden days, I used to remove the ID3 tags from all my mp3s and just sort them by filename. Now is time for a reversal. A way to edit ID3 2.4 from the command line is necessary.
  • I didn't think this was so difficult. Anyway, I found mid3v2 which looks like it might do the job for you.
  • My media library has grown to the size where I've lost the overview, and have to use a media player with a database to find stuff.
    You mean you haven't kept the files organized in the filesystem?

All of my media is tightly organized in a hierarchy of directories that I created when I was in high school and still use today. I can tell you where any file is on my computer at any time without thought. ^_~
    Not everyone uses iTunes.
    Sadly, iTunes is the only podcatcher that works for half a damn... Still, even the non-iTunes ones are functional. It amazes me just how many of our listeners manually download the episodes from the site every single day... -_-
  • You mean you haven't kept the files organized in the filesystem?
    Yes, I have. But my music collection is huge, and contains lots of weird stuff that I see no obvious characteristics to sort it by. With the functions in Foobar2000 I can easily find anything as long as I remember something about it. I am now more used to finding things with these functions than by manually navigating the file system. Of course, that is possible only as long as the tags are carefully maintained. Which is why I would appreciate a correct genre description - for podcasts in general, not just GeekNights. At the moment it's rather random.

I could of course try to make a script that tags the downloaded podcasts for me (inside Foobar perhaps?), but I would appreciate it if I didn't have to.
    Sadly, iTunes is the only podcatcher that works for half a damn... Still, even the non-iTunes ones are functional. It amazes me just how many of our listeners manually download the episodes from the site every single day... -_-
    I use Juice. It's not very good, but it works. Sometimes I download manually because there is some unidentified trouble with Juice/the feed/something else. I use Foobar2000 to organize and transfer podcasts to the mp3 player. I find it slightly easier than doing it manually.
  • It won't be too long before, coincident with me getting a new computer, we revamp the GeekNights process. While most of the changes won't affect any of you (aside from us being more readily able to make a show regardless of our time schedule), we'll be moving fully to idv2, putting a lot more data in the id3s in general, and possibly encoding everything a bit differently. We're also working on a more distinctive and usable web site and faster forums.

We run the show's production the same way we'd run a business process. Everything happens on the production equipment, which is never quickly or lightly changed. We test anything new on the test equipment. If something works and passes all of our tests, then we move it to production. As such, back-end change is slow but safe.

Just hang in there ^_~
  • edited January 2007
    I didn't think this was so difficult. Anyway, I foundmid3v2which looks like it might do the job for you.

Yeah, that ought to do it. So much for my first contribution to Open Source. < wry grin >
    Post edited by Symmetry on
  • I personally am downloading the files manually now with DownThemAll because Juice warped the feed somehow and I only use iTunes to get G4 and Wrestling Observer podcasts, I don't like it much.