This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Your Ladder Theory is Crap

edited January 2010 in Flamewars
Fucking Stupid Ladder Theory
ScoJo said:
IF A MAN FINDS YOU ATTRACTIVE YOU CANNOT BE FRIENDS

Many women want to argue this point and say things like " I have lots of guy friends." Maybe. There are exactly 3 cases Intellectual Whores has identified whereby a guy and a girl can be friends:

1. The guy is gay
2. The guy does not find you attractive
3. The guy already has a woman much higher than you on the ladder

Even Nietzsche knew this. Most guys know this intuitively. Most girls doubt. I have a challenge for all of you girls who still doubt. Pick a guy who does not meet any of the criterion on the above list that you think is your friend. Then ask yourself this question: If you were both alone at his place one night, and you excused yourself to the bathroom and came out naked and asked him to have sex with you would he:

1. Tell you he doesn't want to risk the beautiful friendship you have created with messy physical entanglements.

2. Comply.

Remember
...this only works if you are honest with yourself. Number one is of course something that guys hear all the time. Intellectual Whores refers to it as the Kiss of Death. It is more likely that he will jump you eagerly.
You know what disproves this? The fact that it is perfectly acceptable to have sexual attraction to friends. I think it is merely a differing in definition of what constitutes a friendship. If someone is pretty and you get along with them, of course there is a bit of that feeling there. I have had guy friends who I was rather attracted to, but was perfectly comfortable being around in a non-romantic way. I think it also comes from the fact that people have this artificial divide between friendship and romantic love. Rym was my friend, then he became my romantic partner. There was a lot of grey shade in between, a lot of flirting and pseudo-dating. This whole thing would be solved if people would just be comfortable and honest with their feelings. The problem is, so many guys FREAK OUT and get jealous and shit, and that is what destroys the friendship. Rym has a lot of cute girls as friends, but even though he finds them cute, he has enough self control to maintain a fun friendship and not get pissy and mean when they have other romantic attachments. That is not to say that in a vacuum, he would not be happy to date them, but merely that he is also happy to hang out and be cool.
I think this holds true, except that guys and girls can be friends, because sexual attraction doesn't exclude a friendship. I.E. I've become friends with a lot of girls that I was attracted to.
Didn't you just disprove everything above? You can indeed be "just friends" with a cute girl. Also? If a girl tells her friend that she doesn't want to ruin their friendship with physical entanglements, it just means that he is not physically attractive to her, but is somewhat mentally attractive. Think of it the way you would treat a gay friend who confessed to you. They are your friend, right? You like talking to them right? But they are not your type physically. I have had that happen with a number of guys.

The ladder theory is a bunch of hooey, in my honest opinion. You know what? If every woman you show it too disagrees with it, chances are it's probably wrong. Also, money has nothing to do with anything, as far as I am concerned. If someone has dreams and is interesting, what do I care if they buy me diamonds and all that crapola?

My pie chart:
- 30% talent/intelligence - they need to be smart and skilled, an interesting person
- 30% kindness - they need to be nice
- 10% ambition - they need to have dreams, not of pure money but of, say, writing the great American Novel or starting a computer company.
- 30% physical attractiveness - they need to be fairly cute, but not necessarily in a traditional way. Any race, short/tall, different body types. Okay! It's just, who would want to do it with someone who is unwashed and super fat? I like guys who are Healthy and Clean.

...I hate ladder theory. Argue against it! I think guys who buy into it are sexist and deluded, and also desperate, because they can't get any.

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Wow, Emi. I just had a less intense private conversation with ScoJo on exactly this issue. Girlfriends unite! ^_^
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I didn't actually think that anyone believed Ladder Theory. I just thought it was an old internet trolling page.
  • ScoJo keeps bringing it up! I think he believes it.
  • edited January 2010
    I'm now hijacking this thread for male dominance and to put women back in their place.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I don't think ScoJo actually believes it, mostly because he just told me he didn't and that he was joking around.
  • edited January 2010
    @Andrew: By hotlinking and failing? Wow, I feel chastised severely. Better get back in the kitchen.
    I don't think ScoJo actually believes it, mostly because he just told me he didn't and that he was joking around.
    Over the weekend, he kept using it as an argument.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • By hotlinking and failing? Wow, I feel chastised severely. Better get back in the kitchen.
  • Okay, that last one made me LOL. Hate-sandwiches!
  • Criticism: That's not true
    Answer: Yes it is.
  • Yeah, ladder theory is bunk.
  • Jason: Go make your wife a snack. ^_~
  • You know what disproves this? The fact that it is perfectly acceptable to have sexual attraction to friends.
    Yeah, that's what I said in the thread I saw it in.
    Why does everyone think Jason posted these?
  • Yeah, ladder theory is bunk.
    You don't size up potential mates?

I really do have to admit this is always going on in the background on my mind. I very rarely act upon it, but it happens.
  • Why does everyone think Jason posted these?
    I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps because you guys are so close to eachother, they basically see the both of you as one entity.
    Why does everyone think Jason posted these?
    Shut up, Andrew. Go make Jason's wife a snack. ^_~
  • edited January 2010
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Shut up, Andrew. Go make Jason's wife a snack. ^_~
    I'll have you know, I knew about the pregnancy before even Jason's parents.
  • edited January 2010
    Haven't you run for political office and don't you plan on running again? Isn't it a bad idea to put this kind of material out there?
    Shut up, Andrew. Go make Jason's wife a snack. ^_~
    I'll have you know, I knew about the pregnancy before even Jason's parents.
    Um, okay? The relevancy, I do not see it. :p
  • edited January 2010
    You don't size up potential mates?
    Sure, everyone does. You check people out, like "are they hot and interesting?" However! What does that have to do with being friends or not?
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Hilarious troll image, but I still don't buy that you just be trollin'. You used the theory in arguments 3 times over the ski trip.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • What does that have to do with being friends or not?
    You're misunderstanding the Ladder. Where you are on the ladder is only how much I'd like to have sex with you. It has nothing to do with friendship.
  • edited January 2010
    Look, the point I keep bringing up again and again about ladder theory is that it is like a joke that uses stereotypes. They may not work in the real world but you laugh because there is some fundamental truth somewhere in there. Ladder theory is incorrect because it assumes that having an attraction to a friend makes it so you can't be friends and it also posits that you wouldn't have a sexual relationship with a friend both of these are untrue. However it is true that many women (and men) underestimate the amount of people that are attracted them them when I refer to ladder theory in a conversation it's usually to illustrate that point (which is when it was brought up with Emily).
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • What does that have to do with being friends or not?
    You're misunderstanding the Ladder. Where you are on the ladder is only how much I'd like to have sex with you. It has nothing to do with friendship.
    The quoted paragraph at the start of this thread asserts very much to the contrary.
  • Look, the point I keep bringing up again and again about ladder theory is that it is like a joke that uses stereotypes. They may not work in the real world but you laugh because there is some fundamental truth somewhere in there. Ladder theory is incorrect because it assumes that having an attraction to a friend makes it so you can't be friends and it also posits that you wouldn't have a sexual relationship with a friend both of these are untrue. However it is true that many women (and men) underestimate the amount of people that are attracted them them when I refer to ladder theory in a conversation it's usually to illustrate that point (which is when it was brought up with Emily).
    Are you serious or is the site just satire?
    Nothing is just satire.
    I think this sums things up nicely.
  • Adam, you fall asleep first. That is all.
  • Wait...isn't that what women were treated like BEFORE feminism?
  • Wait...isn't that what women were treated like BEFORE feminism?
    Nope. That would be property.
  • edited January 2010
    Wait...isn't that what women were treated like BEFORE feminism?
    Nope. That would be property.
    To put it simply:
    In the first wave of feminist movements the aim was to gain legal rights that ensured that women were treated as full citizens under the law. The second wave of feminism's aim was to end social discrimination and combat stereotyping.
  • edited January 2010
    The problem I have with the Ladder Theory is not that it's wrong, because I honestly don't believe that it is wrong, the problem is that the writer claims it to be universal when it is not at all. The Ladder Theory is not inherently wrong because it does fit the mold of a certain demographic, but that is hardly every person, it's not even a majority. The demographic that this theory fits to is very small in the large scale of things, and that demo is young 20-somethings that spend most of their nights at clubs. I personally don't have a lot of experience with this crowd because I actively dislike dealing with those kind of people, but every time I have been around them, the theory does seem to apply to them.

The typical woman that uses Ladder Theory is pretty much a golddigger. Golddiggers are often found at clubs because that is where they will find rich guys. Guys with money don't tend to spend a lot of time at concerts or pubs or other normal venues.

The typical man that uses Ladder Theory is pretty much a douchebag. These guys also tend to go to clubs because they have a better chance of scoring with random chicks. To that point, there is a lot of evidence to qualify that idea since dancing is an instinctual form of attracting people.

So, I'm not going to throw down Ladder Theory as a bunch of BS because it's not, it's just not representative of people in general. When I go to places that are known to have these kind of people, I see it. I avoid such places because of that fact, I prefer to surround myself with intelligent people who have either grown out of the Ladder Theory (which most people do if they use it at all), or never subscribed to it to begin with.

EDIT: And no, I never really thought the writer was being serious. It is obviously satirical to some degree. I just want to show that it is rooted in truth, as ScoJo pointed out too.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on