This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mass Effect 2

edited January 2010 in Video Games
ec0-3GkTChI
So...anyone else giddy like a little school girl for this game?

Comments

• After having finally played some Bioware titles, hell yes.
  • >January 29 EU
    What's with the 3 day delay? What can they possibly require 3 extra days for, shipping? It's not like they aren't already printing and shipping DVDs all over the globe, or that it's not yet on the Steam servers.

Regardless, I still have to play the first Mass Effect, but it's good to see the sequel coming out.
  • What's with the 3 day delay?
    29th seems to make more sense, being a Friday. Do games normally come out in the middle of the week stateside?
  • 3 days seems negligible compared to delays measured in months.
    Not when everyone on twitter is going on about ME2/Ponyo/etc.. non stop for those three days.
  • I'm looking forward to it, just debating whether to get in on steam when it goes down in price or playing it right away (just played Mass effect 2 months ago) Currently working through knights of the old republic.
    And a massive price increase. 50-60 USD =/= 120-130 AUD.
  • Cannot wait for this game, it's only one of 2 games I plan on buying new and on the day of the release this year. The other been Bad Company 2.
  • If that was a movie I'd probably watch it.
  • If that was a movie I'd probably watch it.
    This is what I told Andrew last night. I'm playing Mass Effect now, thanks to Steam's holiday sale, and I wish it were just the plot and none of the combat. I care about the plot. I care about exploring the lush environments and discovering new areas with new NPCs. I care about the dialogue trees and making decisions that affect my character's ethical standing. I'm not crazy about shooting crap again. Why must every game hinge around shooting shit?
    That's not my complaint. I totally love that there's barely any delay, but I wonder why there's still a 3 day delay. I can understand a few months delay due to localizing for the Frenchies/Germans, that takes time, and I can then understand that selling the English-only version in the meanwhile in the states only makes sense in that regard. It's this 'middle ground' of 3 days that makes no sense. Is it due to shipping? Surely that can be solved by smarter shipping. Ship first to the faraway places from the printers, and slowly work to closer shipping destinations. That would result in product arriving at destination roughly at the same time all over the world and will allow for a same-day release everywhere. Smart pricing would then also make a ton of extra money without anything being imported.
    (just played Mass effect 2 months ago)
    I fell for that for a second.
    If that was a movie I'd probably watch it.
    I thought the same when I saw the video.
  • So...anyone else giddy like a little school girl for this game?
    Well, at least we know that the graphics will probably kick ass. Also, I was watching some gameplay on the TV and it looks like they figured out something that works nice. I would get this game, but I have no moneys...
  • I preordered Mass Effect 2 AND BioShock 2 last night. I fully admit that I am a BioWare fanboy.
  • So...anyone else giddy like a little school girl for this game?
    Do you not even read what you post?
  • Luke you are again "One Lucky Bastard."
    Any German fans in Berlin can play Mass Effect 2 TOMORROW NIGHT at a free launch party!
    The Mass Effect 2 launch event is taking place in the Maschinenraum
    of Berlin’s Kulturbrauerei, Knaackstr. 97, Berlin. The event is tomorrow, January 22nd starting
    6pm CET. The first visitors will get a free “Asari cocktail” which is of course
    it is blue. Visitors will be able to play the retail version of the game on PC and Xbox 360, and guests will
    get to meet Commander Shepard who will be live at the event.
  • I still need to play the first Mass Effect game...
    I never even heard anyone say anything about the first one until people started hearing about the second one coming out!
    You missed out. Steam Holiday Sale had it going for $5.
  • I never even heard anyone say anything about the first one until people started hearing about the second one coming out!
    Wow...you must live a very isolated life.
  • I never even heard anyone say anything about the first one until people started hearing about the second one coming out!
    Considering we're talking about video games, it's more likely that he HAS a life.
    Considering we're talking about video games, it's more likely that he HAS a life.
    Why thank you, Sail.
  • Haven't played the first one, but after trying Dragon age I'm pretty cautious towards BioWares rpgs.
    But on the other hand, that trailer looks pretty cool and I've heard that the combat will be more about action, so I'll have to wait until I get to try it myself to really judge it.
  • You missed out. Steam Holiday Sale had it going for $5.
    I have a Mac and it can only sort of get Steam running on it.
  • Haven't played the first one, but after trying Dragon age I'm pretty cautious towards BioWares rpgs.
    But on the other hand, that trailer looks pretty cool and I've heard that the combat will be more about action, so I'll have to wait until I get to try it myself to really judge it.
    Wow, I have the exact opposite reaction as you.
  • I have a Mac and it can only sort of get Steam running on it.
    Bootcamp?
  • The first Mass Effect has some major flaws (the Mako (?) combat and the side quests pretty much all been the same been the main two) but it is still brilliant. Considering you should be able to pick it up for cheap pre-owned (360) or cheap on the PC, I would say it is worth it. The main story line missions are awesome, just ignore the rest if you aren't bothered about achievements.
  • Bootcamp?
    I tried, but my hard drive is really fragmented and I can't get it defragmented enough to dual-boot.
  • For those who haven't played the first Mass Effect and are just interested in the story. There are cheat codes to give your team the best weapon and gear. The cheats should only really be used for a 2nd play-through though.
  • edited January 2010
    Spoiler,,, Kind of?!?!: Is it just me or does the ship's AI kind of look like a vagina on a beach ball?

EDIT: Hear my first Firefly reference in the Crew Quarters.
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • edited January 2010
    Man, Mass Effect 2 definitely starts off with a blast.
    Post edited by Cremlian on