This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sci Fi Cons

edited January 2010 in Conventions
So tomorrow I embark on a journey to my first sci fi con Mars Con in Willamsburg, VA. It's a really a con with programming on a variety of geek subjects and has my favorite filker Tom Smith. I also have gaming and anime as a back up if the other fare isn't really good.

So for those who have been to these type of cons before, what am I getting into? As far as I know this is a much different world from the anime cons.

...BI MON SCI FI CON!

Comments

• RymRym
    edited January 2010
    So for those who have been to these type of cons before, what am I getting into?
    I'll be honest. The ones I've attended have been small, a little cheesy, and filled with scarier/SMOFier people than other types of cons). The panels tended to be run by older fans and were very, very meta, usually concerning the fandom itself and not the subject matter.

YMMV, but don't expect an anime or gaming con.

Of course, if it's truly a genericon, like Connecticon, then it could well be awesome.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Sci Fi cons are good for social stuff. That is what they are best at; it's a gathering of people, a dealer's room, and the panels usually focus mostly on creation (writing, illustration, etc) and on guests. The "TV show X" panels are usually just kind of a fandom circle jerk, so I generally avoid them. However, I find that there are usually more parties at the cons, as it is an older crowd than anime cons, and the people are really interesting! Definitely find some parties to go to if you can, and strike up conversations with random people. Just don't do it to anyone who looks busy...there should be plenty of people hanging out and about!

If they have a charity auction, it's sometimes fun to go to that ad see what's there. you never know what'll come up, and you can sometimes get cool stuff for cheap.

Of course, IMO small cons are far better for socializing than big cons. Sure, Dragon and Otakon may have lots of stuff to do, but it's so big that no one socializes with people they don't know. They already have a schedule and an agenda, and you're not in it unless you planned to meet up ahead of time. The staff is usually less stressed, and it's harder to get lost. Plus, did I mention the parties? Even if you don't drink at all, they can be great fun!
  • I was too lazy to update this thread on the AWESOME that happened that weekend.

The difference that was really apparent was demographics. There was mostly 25+ people. Other than the young children of the con goers I was one of the youngest.

Most of the panels were done by guests and and creating like Nuri said. Some were very new to me, like a storyteller. Basically talking about his life in the area being the only redneck comic fan. The other was a shadowcast. I never heard of those before, but it was Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. Basically, they act along with a showing of the film, like a play in front of a movie. I didn't like it and mostly pay attention to the screen. Plus, there was filking! Lots of it! The Fliking panel was the best. Also, if I didn't say it before I'm going to say it now. Celtic style rock is awesome. Look up Coyote Run.

The real different things compared to anime cons is the size and the fact that the cons wants to keep it small. Really, the only new people are ones that heard it word of mouth or was looking for a scifi con online. After talking to a bunch of people who work at the con or run similar cons they want to keep it small to keep the atmosphere. Some reason was that it's easier to manage. I spoke to the people who ran Ravencon at their party and they are actually looking to attract new blood and worked stuff out with Anime Mid Atlantic. I basically said if they want to attract more try getting a table at an anime con or putting an ad in their book or even doing the party thing like there.

Parties. There were several. Just people opening up hotel rooms and throwing one inside. I drank vodka with a kilingon and grog with historian pirate fans. Had swill with cosplayers of Labrinth and some fruity drink and some ale at the Raven party. Topped it all off with cookies with The Doctor. At anime cons you usually have to be in the know to find a party. At sci fi cons there's whole floors with parties and hanging out with many people.

Another difference was that there's only tabletop gaming. No video games which I thought was strange and the one anime table in the dealers room also sold bootlegs.

As I declared at a party while drunk, I LOVE SCI FI CONS! I can't say they're all good, but Marscon of VA is one of the awesome ones. If Katsucon is not good this year I think I'll dump it for Marscon and perhaps Shevacon.
  • I was too lazy to update this thread on theAWESOMEthat happened that weekend.

The difference that was really apparent was demographics. There was mostly 25+ people. Other than the young children of the con goers I was one of the youngest.

Most of the panels were done by guests and and creating like Nuri said. Some were very new to me, like a storyteller. Basically talking about his life in the area being the only redneck comic fan. The other was a shadowcast. I never heard of those before, but it was Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. Basically, they act along with a showing of the film, like a play in front of a movie. I didn't like it and mostly pay attention to the screen. Plus, there was filking! Lots of it! The Fliking panel was the best. Also, if I didn't say it before I'm going to say it now.Celtic style rock is awesome. Look up Coyote Run.

The real different things compared to anime cons is the size and the fact that the cons wants to keep it small. Really, the only new people are ones that heard it word of mouth or was looking for a scifi con online. After talking to a bunch of people who work at the con or run similar cons they want to keep it small to keep the atmosphere. Some reason was that it's easier to manage. I spoke to the people who ran Ravencon at their party and they are actually looking to attract new blood and worked stuff out with Anime Mid Atlantic. I basically said if they want to attract more try getting a table at an anime con or putting an ad in their book or even doing the party thing like there.

Parties. There were several. Just people opening up hotel rooms and throwing one inside. I drank vodka with a kilingon and grog with historian pirate fans. Had swill with cosplayers of Labrinth and some fruity drink and some ale at the Raven party. Topped it all off with cookies with The Doctor. At anime cons you usually have to be in the know to find a party. At sci fi cons there's whole floors with parties and hanging out with many people.

Another difference was that there's only tabletop gaming. No video games which I thought was strange and the one anime table in the dealers room also sold bootlegs.

As I declared at a party while drunk, I LOVE SCI FI CONS! I can't say they're all good, but Marscon of VA is one of the awesome ones. If Katsucon is not good this year I think I'll dump it for Marscon and perhaps Shevacon.
    Honestly, all the haters hadn't been to a real sci-fi con so I figured you would have a good time (plus you are more fun then a lot of other people :-p)
  • I was too lazy to update this thread on the AWESOME that happened that weekend.
    Do you know if there are many? I've never been to one and it sounds like you had a good time!
  • edited January 2010
    I was too lazy to update this thread on theAWESOMEthat happened that weekend.
    Do you know if there are many? I've never been to one and it sounds like you had a good time!
    That's the thing. There's many but they want to be small and stay hidden thus hide themselves. There could be a Dragoncon size event in each section of the US like there's a major con in every section. The culture with that con scene purposely do that to keep out certain fandoms. Not ALL sci fi cons do this obviously. Ravencon is trying to branch out to get younger blood into their event. Dragoncon obviously caters to everyone. Also, the odd fated Narutotrek convention tried to do this. But then you have things like Philcon or Capclave deliberately getting rid of thing to make it smaller, more exclusive and self back patting.

It's something I want to explore and maybe by talking to them I could do something.

Or just take over the anime programming and screening room. The one at Marscon had these creepy guys watching a sexy moe and no one seemed to know it was there. Plus, there's anime fans at these cons, but they watched in the older days and don't really know what else is good out there. I said to myself, "It's time to plan a panel."

I almost forgot! The crowning moment for me at this con was talking about Hetalia with Tom Smith. And then singing the theme song. I didn't think he would know about that show. YAY for anime watching girlfriends everywhere!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • YAY for anime watching girlfriends everywhere!
    True dat!

I said to myself, "It's time to plan a panel."
    And also, you're thinking of planning a panel? If you do, I would totally check it out, but where would you do it? Would it just be something to see at anime cons (maybe not just anime cons) where you try to get people to go to sci-fi cons?
  • Ravencon is pretty awesome. It's pretty much become Podcastercon, which is great, because the podcasters that go are pretty much all awesome ones.
  • And also, you're thinking of planning a panel? If you do, I would totally check it out, but where would you do it? Would it just be something to see at anime cons (maybe not just anime cons) where you try to get people to go to sci-fi cons?
    I do panels at anime cons all the time. I've been doing it since 2008 so far.

I was thinking of a panel that is about newer high quality shows that would appeal to a young adult and adult audience. Since some of the older sci fi fans liked anime back in the day, but didn't know where to go from there, I would do a re-intro into anime. Kinda like an anime you should see panel, but about shows comparable to older shows.

If you're going to some of the northeast cons (Anime USA, Otakon, Anime Boston, Katsucon, T-Mode) then I hopefully will be doing something. I am for Katsu definitely.
  • see at anime cons (maybe not just anime cons) where you try to get people to go to sci-fi cons?

I was thinking of a panel that is about newer high quality shows that would appeal to a young adult and adult audience. Since some of the older sci fi fans liked anime back in the day, but didn't know where to go from there, I would do a re-intro into anime. Kinda like an anime you should see panel, but about shows comparable to older shows.

If you're going to some of the northeast cons (Anime USA, Otakon, Anime Boston, Katsucon, T-Mode) then I hopefully will be doing something. I am for Katsu definitely.
    When will you go to Connecticon?
  • edited January 2010
    see at anime cons (maybe not just anime cons) where you try to get people to go to sci-fi cons?

When it stops being too close to Otakon.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • If you're going to some of the northeast cons (Anime USA, Otakon, Anime Boston, Katsucon, T-Mode) then I hopefully will be doing something.
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to Anime Boston. I'll definitely check it out if I go (If you do it).
    Go to Connecticon! I'm DEFINITELY going to Connecticon! It's my favorite convention so far. (Mostly because I live really close and it was my first convention)
  • When it stops being too close to Otakon.
    Go to Connecticon! I'm DEFINITELY going to Connecticon! It's my favorite convention so far. (Mostly because I live really close and it was my first convention)
    So...I won't ever see you in Connecticut... :(
  • When it stops being too close to Otakon.
    So...I won't ever see you in Connecticut... :(
    Why not?
  • edited January 2010
    Come to CTcon instead. Otakon is so last year.
    Post edited by Nuri on