This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100125 - Tablet Computing

edited January 2010 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we prime you for Steve Jobs Wednesday by discussing tablet computing. In the news, prosthetics on purpose and 35TB magenetic tape reels.

Comments

• Windows 7 Home Starter Edition is only available for netbooks and is pretty much designed for netbooks.
  • RIT's MSDNAA agreement only allows students to download Windows 7 Pro, for some reason. I was wondering why my install took up over 10 gigs. Thanks for clearing that up.

Also, as much as I feel nostalgia for "olden times" and "modern humanity," I'm still looking forward to a transhumanist/crazy awesome GiTS-like future.
  • I'm still looking forward to a transhumanist/crazy awesome GiTS-like future.
    I'm getting into biopunk transhumanism. No need to worry about the erasure of existence during a mind transfer if you use engineered protists to keep you alive forever.
  • I'm still looking forward to a transhumanist/crazy awesome GiTS-like future.
    I'm getting into biopunk transhumanism. No need to worry about the erasure of existence during a mind transfer if you use engineered protists to keep you alive forever.
    Better solution: Hit Ctrl-C instead of Ctrl-X.
  • Better solution: Hit Ctrl-C instead of Ctrl-X.
    How could you ever be sure your ghost was in the shell?
  • My monitors are perfectly fine. :-p
  • My monitors are perfectly fine. :-p
    You can't see.
  • You can't see.
    That's a pretty bold claim, though I suppose if you were blind it would be pretty hard to determine the quality of a monitor.
  • WHAT DO YOU SEE?
  • I DON'T KNOW, THE VIEWING ANGLE IS TERRIBLE! GET OUT OF MY HEAD!
  • WHAT DO YOU SEE?
    I see that two wide-screen 23 inch monitors is almost too much screen.
  • I see that two wide-screen 23 inch monitors is almost too much screen.
    I somehow picture an Anasurimbor throwing the Heron Spear (a Wiimote) directly through the monitor.
  • I see that two wide-screen 23 inch monitors is almost too much screen.
    That can only display 1.5% of the colors that my monitor is displaying. Doesn't matter if it's 100 inches. It might as well be black and white.
  • That can only display 1.5% of the colors that my monitor is displaying. Doesn't matter if it's 100 inches. It might as well be black and white.
    If he can't tell, does it matter? The screens are good enough for him. Even though your screen is better, my screen is just fine for me.
  • That can only display 1.5% of the colors that my monitor is displaying. Doesn't matter if it's 100 inches. It might as well be black and white.
    Ummm, the resolution is fine and the picture is great, for the money you can't beat it. If that's only 1.5% of the colors I'm perfectly fine. Plus if it really is that important these will last me long enough to get the better LCD for much cheaper then it would cost now.
  • white.
    If he can't tell, does it matter? The screens are good enough for him. Even though your screen is better, my screen is just fine for me.
    Let's say you walk down the street eating some fine chocolate. You see someone eating poop and enjoying it. You ask them "you know you're eating poop, right?" They say "Tastes good enough for me!" You suggest chocolate instead, and they say "I can't tell the difference. It's all the same. And look, I got a whole pile of poop, you just have a little bar of chocolate."

And sorry to anyone for using poop, but chocolate vs. shit is an Initial D reference.
  • edited January 2010
    white.
    Let's say you walk down the street eating some fine chocolate. You see someone eating poop and enjoying it. You ask them "you know you're eating poop, right?" They say "Tastes good enough for me!" You suggest chocolate instead, and they say "I can't tell the difference. It's all the same. And look, I got a whole pile of poop, you just have a little bar of chocolate."

And sorry to anyone for using poop, but chocolate vs. shit is an Initial D reference.
    This is much more like me eating some excellent $50 chocolate, as compared to some guy eating $5 chocolate. Poop would be a "10 CRT at 640x480 or something.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • And sorry to anyone for using poop, but chocolate vs. shit is an Initial D reference.
    A good one at that.
  • white.

I think its more like the naked king, you have your billion color kings robe on you but in reality you can't see it, you flail around the smooth transitions and gradients between greens and yellows, but your eyes can't really tell the difference.
  • but your eyes can't really tell the difference.
    bingo.
  • I think its more like the naked king, you have your billion color kings robe on you but in reality you can't see it, you flail around the smooth transitions and gradients between greens and yellows, but your eyes can't really tell the difference.
    Until you see it side by side, then you realize you are fail. Or maybe you just have bad eyesight, in which case why bother in the first place?
  • edited January 2010
    I think its more like the naked king, you have your billion color kings robe on you but in reality you can't see it, you flail around the smooth transitions and gradients between greens and yellows, but your eyes can't really tell the difference.
    Until you see it side by side, then you realize you are fail. Or maybe you just have bad eyesight, in which case why bother in the first place?
    After a certain range its like saying that you can perceive and are bothered by a video running 60 fps and 120 fps.

Here see what good is your awesome monitor in helping you perceive color.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • edited January 2010
    I swear I didn't cheat. I was actually fast and loose on the last two tests because my eyes were hurting.

My score was 4. The best possible score was 0. The worst possible score was 1500+

I did this using my work Macbook and Dell Ultrasharp 24" (the newest model). I thought about, but did not, adjust any color settings to make the test easier. I left the monitor in the same state it is at all day while I work.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I wonder if the Apple Executives need to listen to these...
  • I think its more like the naked king, you have your billion color kings robe on you but in reality you can't see it, you flail around the smooth transitions and gradients between greens and yellows, but your eyes can't really tell the difference.
    But if you don't have the funds or don't value the difference between the two enough to part with the funds, then who the fuck cares? Not everyone wants or can afford to have the optimum everything. You eat PBJ for lunch every day, but you could spend more for more nutritious and better tasting food. That doesn't mean that eating PBJ is wrong, it just means you don't value the better food enough to invest the time/money/effort it takes to acquire and consume it.
  • I swear I didn't cheat. I was actually fast and loose on the last two tests because my eyes were hurting.

My score was 4. The best possible score was 0. The worst possible score was 1500+

I did this using my work Macbook and Dell Ultrasharp 24" (the newest model). I thought about, but did not, adjust any color settings to make the test easier. I left the monitor in the same state it is at all day while I work.
    I scored a 6 on a "ProView" LCD with an open window to my right, and that's a garbage LCD, so I'd say there isn't that much difference if you take luck into account. At home I scored a 5 on a CRT and in both cases, no eye strain btw.
  • edited January 2010
    I swear I didn't cheat.
    It took me like 30 minutes to do this, but I didn't send it through till it looked exactly right.
  • The worst part of building a computer in college is that, while I can build an incredible computer, I don't have nearly enough spare change to throw at an Ultrasharp. I'm probably going to use my TV, which is a Toshiba at 1080p, or an even older, non-widescreen LCD monitor from around 2001.
  • It took me like 30 minutes to do this, but I didn't send it through till it looked exactly right.
    30 minutes! That's a bit extreme don't you think?
  • edited January 2010
    It took me like 30 minutes to do this, but I didn't send it through till it looked exactly right.
    30 minutes! That's a bit extreme don't you think?
    I should have said this before, but I have crazy bad vision. My prescription is -6.75/-7.25 and I've had surgery on the right which causes all kinds of crazy stuff. I just have a hard time seeing in general. So I would do this for 5 minutes, then go away and come back. I did that a few times. Total time spent on just this was like 10-15 minutes though.

Edit: Also, I was trying to do well because my vision is so bad. I expected to do poorly.