This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

SOTUS

edited January 2010 in Politics
Obama's busting out the Executive Orders! Oh snap!

I made a new thread rather than put this in the Obama Thread because it's a very specific and complicated issue. What did you guys think of the speech? I think Obama should get another Gekiga point, bringing his total up to 2.

Comments

• Noooo, I missed the SOTUS!
  • Congress blocked the bill, but we need it, so fuck those guys...I'm gonna issue an Executive Order.

That's pretty ballsy. We'll see if he does it.
  • I wonder if Obama will appear on the Legend of Koizumi :P
  • So what's he issuing an EO for?
  • To create a deficit commission to deal with budget issues to reduce the deficit.
  • I wonder if Obama will appear on the Legend of Koizumi :P
    Only after he's no longer president.
  • Fuck yes!

Executive Order Fān!
  • edited January 2010
    I love when Presidents act like FDR. I really do.

Also:
    SOTUS 2010 Drinking Game: The Bipartisan: drink on 'America', 'United States', 'jobs', 'deficit', 'change'; double-shot on a yell/interruption.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Special "hardened cynic" expansion rules:

--Down-in-one during obnoxiously prolonged applause. One shot if you fail to finish before applause ends.
    --"Vodka or Water?" when one party stands and cheers while the other party does not (to simulate the burning resentment trapped in the opposition's throat)
    --If the opposition boos, all participants must shotgun a beer, just to be as classless as the opposition.
  • I've taken to going to the gym and running the the trend mill during debates and speeches...I was reading the wiki on SOTU speeches before and saw that they are usually 40 minutes...8 plus miles of running later.. *exhuasted* I liked the speech, as always I'm watching the secondary game of who claps at what phrases game that people play. I gotta say the republicans really suck when they can't even clap for tax cuts or ending tax credits for businesses that move their workers overseas...
  • --"Vodka or Water?" when one party stands and cheers while the other party does not (to simulate the burning resentment trapped in the opposition's throat)
    You would have freaking died of alcohol poisoning.
  • Jesus Christ the clapping. The unending, nerve-wracking clapping.
  • He lied during the speech! He said he excluded lobbyists from policy-making jobs or seats on federal boards and commissions. We already know he broke his promise with that EO shortly after he signed it granting waivers to some. William Lynn for example?

From his wikipedia page:
    On January 8, 2009, President-elect Barack Obama nominated Lynn as his Deputy Secretary of Defense.[4] This was complicated by the fact that new ethic rules promulgated by Obama for members of his administration create a waiting period of two years between lobbying activities and working for the administration on the same issues, which Lynn's work with Raytheon violated.[5] President Obama waived the new rules for Lynn, which received criticism from John McCain as well as outside groups such as the Project on Government Oversight, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, Government Accountability Project, and Public Citizen.[6] McCain later said that the nomination should probably move forward.[7] As nominee, Lynn agreed to sell his holdings of Raytheon stock.[8] Lynn's appointment was approved by the U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee on February 5, 2009 by unanimous consent.[9] On February 11, 2009, Lynn was confirmed in the full Senate by a vote of 93–4.[10] He took the oath of office on February 12.
  • edited January 2010
    He lied during the speech! He said he excluded lobbyists from policy-making jobs or seats on federal boards and commissions. We already know he broke his promise with that EO shortly after he signed it granting waivers to some.William Lynnfor example?

From his wikipedia page:

On January 8, 2009, President-elect Barack Obama nominated Lynn as his Deputy Secretary of Defense.[4] This was complicated by the fact that new ethic rules promulgated by Obama for members of his administration create a waiting period of two years between lobbying activities and working for the administration on the same issues, which Lynn's work with Raytheon violated.[5] President Obama waived the new rules for Lynn, which received criticism from John McCain as well as outside groups such as the Project on Government Oversight, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, Government Accountability Project, and Public Citizen.[6] McCain later said that the nomination should probably move forward.[7] As nominee, Lynn agreed to sell his holdings of Raytheon stock.[8] Lynn's appointment was approved by the U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee on February 5, 2009 by unanimous consent.[9] On February 11, 2009, Lynn was confirmed in the full Senate by a vote of 93–4.[10] He took the oath of office on February 12.
    Hey Steve, I don't think you know what your talking about. No where did Obama say he kept lobbyiests out of the cabninet positions. The quote in question from SOTU "That's what I came to Washington to do. That's why — for the first time in history — my administration posts our White House visitors online. And that's why we've excluded lobbyists from policymaking jobs or seats on federal boards and commissions. "

Federal government boards = The Federal Executive Boards (FEBs), established by Presidential Directive in 1961, are a forum for communication and collaboration among Federal agencies outside of Washington, DC. The need for effective coordination among the field activities of Federal departments and agencies was then, and is still, very clear. Approximately 88 percent of all Federal employees work outside the National Capital Region. Federal programs have their impact largely through the actions of the field representatives of the departments and agencies. In addition, Federal representatives are the principal contact with the Federal Government for the citizens of the United States. The National network of 28 FEBs, located in areas of significant Federal populations, serves as the cornerstone for strategic partnering in Government.

Federal commissions = list of commissions http://www.usa.gov/Agencies/Federal/All_Agencies/index.shtml

Neither of these two things are cabinents positions.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Jesus Christ the clapping. The unending, nerve-wracking clapping.
    For a moment I thought you were the Master :P
  • My first executive order as president (after having a judge or someone to that effect publicly put me under oath before each and every major speech) would be to ban clapping at any of my speeches to congress.

I would possibly go one step further and make a point of having no speechwriters on staff, and furthermore making my teleprompter notes public after each public speech. Maybe, I would do away with the teleprompter entirely.

But the clapping... This has to end. It's the sole reason I never watch these speeches live.
  • edited January 2010
    My first executive order as president (after having a judge or someone to that effect publicly put me under oath before each and every major speech) would be to ban clapping at any of my speeches to congress.

I would possibly go one step further and make a point of having no speechwriters on staff, and furthermore making my teleprompter notes public after each public speech. Maybe, I would do away with the teleprompter entirely.

But the clapping... This has to end. It's the sole reason I never watch these speeches live.
    Eh, I find it extremely entertaining to watch what the republicans clap to (and what actually gets the people who don't clap like the supreme court or the generals to clap). I mean, Obama actually had lines in the speech that set up the republicans to clap for every aspect of the bill individually so they wouldn't clap when he said "Now get that bill the house already passed through!" and they wouldn't clap. Kinda showed you what was going on. (I.E. Republicans SAY they want all those benefits but when it comes to actually voting on a bill that has all of that stuff in it they never vote for it).

Not to mention you can tell when he pisses off people in his own party or when a few republicans clap but others don't. It's grand politicial theater in there.
  • It's grand politicial theater in there.
    Imagine me standing up there giving the kind of speech you all would expect me to give. You want grand political theater? I'd go Hojo on everyone, maybe walk out on them. There would definitely be a major surprise in every SOTUS.
  • It was ridiculous. Buzzword/phrase, clap, buzzword, clap...argh! We were tempted to fast-forward through the clapping parts, but it was more trouble than it was worth. (We watched it on a slight delay due to the DVR.) Instead we had a go of predicting when the crowd would clap and watching Biden and Pelosi bounce up and down. And jesus...that woman is getting scarier and scarier. She looked like Skeletor.
  • edited January 2010
    And jesus...that woman is getting scarier and scarier. She looked like Skeletor.
    Its called aging, yet trying to keep slender and wrinkle free because the American public will vote for an ugly, wrinkled, fat old man, but our female political leaders are constantly judged on their looks. I honestly don't think she looks any better or worse than Biden, but who will have comments made in regard to their appearance? Pelosi.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Its called aging, yet trying to keep slender and wrinkle free because the American public will vote for an ugly, wrinkled, fat old man, but our female political leaders are constantly judged on their looks. I honestly don't think she looks and better or worse than Biden, but who will have comments made in regard to their appearance? Pelosi.
    Honestly I thought she looked pretty good last night, but that's probably because all the pictures I see of her are included in republican propaganda so they usually make her out to be a troll...
  • I like Pelosi.
    A weird aside: My mom said that her theme song for Pelosi in her head was "Start Wearing Purple" by Gogol Bordello. She has theme songs for various politicians.
    We should start doing that, in a thread.
  • Can anyone summarize this speech for me?
  • edited January 2010
    Obama: A lot of stuff I would love to happen but the republicans are going to filibuster me even when I give them concessions and even when they agree.
  • edited January 2010
    I like Pelosi.
    A weird aside: My mom said that her theme song for Pelosi in her head was "Start Wearing Purple" by Gogol Bordello. She has theme songs for various politicians.
    We should start doing that, in a thread.
    This is American politics.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Hey guys, I would take this obnoxious clapping over the clapping at Bush's SOTU any day. I remember having to turn it off because I was so angry at watching a crowd roar happily for him while he pledged to continue "defending marriage".
    Obama: A lot of stuff I would love to happen but the republicans are going to filibuster me even when I give them concessions and even when they agree.
    Think it was at all effective? :P
  • Hey guys, I would take this obnoxious clapping over the clapping at Bush's SOTU any day.
    True. I really enjoyed the speech, all in all. I hope he get some of those things done asap.
  • And jesus...that woman is getting scarier and scarier. She looked like Skeletor.
    Its called aging, yet trying to keep slender and wrinkle free because the American public will vote for an ugly, wrinkled, fat old man, but our female political leaders are constantly judged on their looks. I honestly don't think she looks any better or worse than Biden, but who will have comments made in regard to their appearance? Pelosi.
    Actually, I scrutinized both of them, and I thought she looked scarier because of the shadow play on her face. Biden looked old, but he did not look craggy. It's the sunken, craggy look that really bothered me about Pelosi's face during the speech. It was distracting, and it had nothing to do with her being a woman.

Besides, I never said I wouldn't vote for Pelosi if given the option or that she wasn't good at her job. I commented on her looks because I found them slightly grisly, but I did not connect her looks with her capacity in any other area. I don't give a damn what my political reps look like as long as they look professional and do their jobs when it comes to elections, but when I have to see your face on TV for an hour, I'm probably going to comment on it if I find something remarkable. Also, men are also objectified by voters. Case in point, John Edwards. It's ridiculous, and it's more of a problem for women than men, but it's still present for both genders.

Don't assume every comment about someone's looks includes a default judgment about their capacity. Just because you don't think she looked worse than Biden doesn't mean no one else did.
  • edited January 2010
    Don't assume every comment about someone's looks includes a default judgment about their capacity. Just because you don't think she looked worse than Biden doesn't mean no one else did.
    I am not saying that your comments carried judgment beyond how she looks. I was pointing out that we - as a society - more often make note of how a female politician looks and that it bothers me. Your comment was, for all intents and purposes, harmless. I am just incredibly vigilant about the double standard.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Kate does have a point, whether it applies to Nuri or not. :P