This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070131 - Anime Openers and Closers

edited February 2007 in Anime
Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss opening and closing sequences of anime. In the news three conventions are canceled and this year's free comic book day titles are announced.

Rym's Thing - Batman knows Superman is Gay
Scott's Thing - Anime dances are fun.

Comments

• Rym... How can you not have heard of the Mr. Men books?
  • I submit that Batman: The Animated Series, one of my favorite cartoons of all time, contains one of the best openers ever, especially when it comes to American shows. Not only is the music great, but it sets the dark, dramatic tone for the series as well as evolving on that whole Wham Pow cheesiness rampant in earlier iterations of the franchise. Cowboy Bebop is also one of my favorites, if only because the song and animation are deeply reminiscent of old TV show openers from like the 50s and 60s. The fast jazz rythyms, the dramatic poses and silhouettes. It's classic without being kitschy.
  • Does anybody know what's up with so many shows (more so in the past) having the "introspective female walks the beach" closers? I have actually grown to like them, but I can think of several off the top of my head, including: Lupin III, Noir, and Samurai Champloo.

(For several years, Otakon's last room on Sunday afternoon used to be a Lupin III movie, so to me that particular harmonica music is some of the saddest in the world...)
  • I'll say that any opener or closer that involved the services of Yoko Kanno in some way falls in the category of best. I would also include the Lupin III opener, the FLCL closer, and the Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi closer.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the first G.i.t.S.:S.A.C. opening theme sung in Russian? (I believe Rym thought it was sung in Japanese.)

By the way, The Pillows and L'Arc en Ciel ROCK. I would argue that their respective work on FLCL and FMA were not just "flavor-fo-the month-bands" attached to a theme, but a true enhancement to the whole viewing experience. They really captured the mood of the shows they worked on...
  • Yeah both the Stand Alone Complex openings are sung in Russian, or something close to it.
  • Yeah both the Stand Alone Complex openings are sung in Russian, or something close to it.
    S.A.C opening is called Inner Universe by Origa. S.A.C 2 is called Rise (I don't know who it is by)
  • Nice, I remember the first time I participated in the Mamboleo dance. I think it was after coming back from my internship in Colorado (my dates could be off), at the first social night. Luke dragged us all up there and made us dance. However, the dance had been developed while I was on internship, so I had no clue what was going on. Thank goodness YouTube wasn't around yet, so I didn't have to look like a tool to the entire world.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the first G.i.t.S.:S.A.C. opening theme sung in Russian? (I believe Rym thought it was sung in Japanese.)
    I think Rym was saying the language made it sound exotic, unlike Japanese, which now sounds mundane/everyday to his trained ear.

I'm with you on the teeth, Scott. They've always looked like disgusting baked beans to me, and I've made no secret of my opinion.
    I certainly didn't think that. ^_~
  • This is only tangentially (if that) related to the show (specifically the discussions about anime club politics), but I've had a question about fan history for a while, and I don't think it's worth a thread. I have heard many times that the Cartoon Fantasy Organization was the first national anime fan organization. I have heard many times the name Randall Stuckey (I think) in relation to this body, often in very bad light. However, I have been unable to find out who he was or what he did. So I was wondering if anyone here who would be able to help me with this information.
  • edited February 2007
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the first G.i.t.S.:S.A.C. opening theme sung in Russian? (I believe Rym thought it was sung in Japanese.)
    I certainly didn't think that. ^_~
    OK, OK. My bad. Let's not turn this into "pick on the old otaku." :- ) Between Ivanova on "B5" and the "Night Watch" films, I'm becoming a bit of a Russian geek, as well as everything else. So when something Russian in pop culture doesn't get its full due, I'm always jumping up and down to point it out.

BTW, Rhinocero, you should check out Anime World Order's podcasts for more info on the Cartoon Fantasy Organization: Central Florida Operation (CFO squared).
    Post edited by 40-year-old-otaku on
  • I can't believe Excel Saga and Azumnanga Daioh get no love here yet. They both set the mood very well, Excel Saga particularly, and Menchi singing the end is awesome. I also love the opening and closing themes for Doki Doki School Hours and the end animation, the opening ani is kinda blah
  • edited February 2007
    I can't believe Excel Saga and Azumnanga Daioh get no love here yet. They both set the mood very well, Excel Saga particularly, and Menchi singing the end is awesome. I also love the opening and closing themes for Doki Doki School Hours and the end animation, the opening ani is kinda blah
    I was going to mention Excel Saga. I forgot. We sort of accidentally left out the entire category of humorous openers and closers.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Excel Saga had one of the most creative endings ever. Menchi sings while there is a translator in a bubble in the corner of the screen. :) One of the worst openings has to be the 4th opening of Gundam Seed Destiny. It had NOTHING to do with the show.
  • RymRym
    edited February 2007
    ne of the worst openings has to be the 4th opening of Gundam Seed Destiny. It had NOTHING to do with the show.
    Dude. Gundam Seed Destiny had nothing to do with the show... The opener wasn't the problem. ^_~
    Post edited by Rym on
  • In your comment about the Daytona Beach Anime Con:
    There was one? I remember looking around for a convention this time last year and ended up with nothing. I think that says something about the visibility of this club, considering I lived a fucking block from Embery-Riddell.
  • edited February 2007
    Oh, and about Gen Con canceling. Here's a story that you can just take whatever out of it that you want.

I remember when I used to play the Pokemon TCG at the Wizards of the Coast every Saturday. After a few months of being there, it closed. And it was always full. Plenty of card players and D&D players were in there all the time. Then I found a Game Keepers and went there for 3 weeks, before it closed. I moved to another gaming shop, was there for at least 3 months, and it closed too. All of a sudden, the closest place I could go was a 2 1/2 hour drive away and so I gave up. All of the shops were closing left and right. This was about 4 or 5 years ago.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • By the way....I very much want to see Rym and Scott try to do the Haruhi dance, that's pretty nuts, and you need 3 people, anyhow. Also, where is the vid of the Mambo you mentioned in the show?
  • Anime dances are fun, however I enjoy watching it not really dancing, unless as a background dancer, such a the one from the Haruhi's dance. Other wise I would not dance the part of the dance that a lady does. But that is just me.
  • Also, where is the vid of the Mambo you mentioned in the show?
    They said they still had to make it.
  • My friends and I performed the Haruhi Suzumiya dance for our school Halloween Festival. Hopefully I could get the video and post it on youTube. It was slightly embarassing yet a lot of fun.
  • The best opening I've seen thus far in recent months is Ghost Hunt. The overall simplicity and the the music creates the eerie feeling and is very fitting for the paranormal theme of the anime. As for ending? I honestly don't really know. Oh what the hell, might has well make it the dancing kind that I doubt no one here knows. The four-minute dance lesson to the ending theme of Mahou Sentai Magiranger.
  • Dude. Gundam Seed Destiny had nothing to do with the show... The opener wasn't the problem. ^_~
    Yeah. It's just, when I see fast moving images of giant robots and lots of explosions, I don't generally associate them with a really bad love song.

*Remembers the HORROR that was Gundam Seed Destiny after the first 10 eps*

The sad thing is I might watch Air Gear before I would sit through GSD again.

Anyway, a current favorite opening of mine is the second opening to Code Geass. I really like the music, but the images don't totally fit with the song. Also there are few shows lately I have seen that really have that "punch" for closings. Lots of good opening but not so much on the credits.
  • As for openings, without repeating ones already posted, one of my favorites has always been the opening for Gantz. The show was eh, but the opening was awesome. Both the opening and closing for Black Lagoon are very good, especially the closing.
  • One of my favorite openers is from the Lodoss War TV series, even if the show itself was a bit shit >_> Click to Watch! Sooo pretty... I wish the image quality was better.

The 2nd FMA closer is also quite boss. Linky. The one with Winry was retarded, IMHO.
  • I really liked the song from Trigun. Thought the opener was about one minute too long though.
  • Thought the opener was about one minute too long though.
    Pretty-much every single opener is always 1:30, give or take a few seconds. ^_~