This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What to do in the USA

edited February 2007 in Everything Else
So I'm going to visit my grandparents in *shudder* Florida in June/July. I will probably spend about 10 days with them but for the rest of the time I am going to be in New York and I'll probably go to DC. I won't have a car and won't have too much money. What should I do, what should I see? What is the best/cheapest way to travel internally in the USA?

Comments

• I also have grandparents in Florida. There are pretty much five things to do in Florida: go to the beach, go to theme parks in Orlando, go to the Everglades, go to NASA and visit grandparents. If you do those five things, you never need to go to Florida again. Traveling within the United States sucks. Everything is far away from everything else. You either have to drive a lot or use expensive trains and planes. If your time here is limited I highly recommend using a discount airline like Southwest or Jet Blue to get from Florida to New York. It's still over $100, but it saves so much time.

Unlike Florida, there are infinity things to do in NY. I was born in the damn city (even though I didn't live there very long), and I still haven't seen a lot of things. Most of the touristy stuff in the city is things like the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, ground zero, Times Square, The UN, Ellis Island, the big museums, etc. You can spend an entire day just in one museum. Yeah, NY is awesome.

Going from NY to DC or vice versa can be done by plane or train. Both are expensive and quick.

DC is not that awesome. Everything there is expensive and painful. The only exciting things to do are to go around looking at all the important buildings. Actually getting a tour of the Capitol or the White House sucks, if they are even open when you are there. In DC the only buildings you really need to go into are the National Archives so you can see the Constitution and the Smithsonian Institution. Arlington cemetery is also worth visiting. IIRC, there's also an old post office that is now a shopping mall. It has good food to eat inside. DC just really isn't that exciting if you ask me. You can see everything you need to see there in one day.
  • edited February 2007
    DC is not that awesome. Everything there is expensive and painful.
    I could not disagree with this statement more. DC is one of the cheapest cities in the country for a tourist. That's because so much is free. You may not think that it's terribly exciting, but it is definitely cheap. The other nice thing about DC is that it's not an industrial city. It's pretty clean compared to New York.

If you're looking for an exciting night life, then DC is not the place to be. It really is a government city - and clears out after 5pm. If, however, you like museums and monuments, then you're in the right place. There are also some cool ethnic neighborhoods and restaurants. (Ethiopian food anyone?)

One note: The Old Post Office that Scott mentioned is pretty lame now. They've introduced all sorts of security since 9/11 - and most people don't want to put up with the hassle just to get some lunch. You still see tourists there, but the last time I was there (in September), it was kind of sad to see how dead it was.

Scott hit Florida on the head. The problem with Florida is that nothing is old and most people are transients. It just doesn't have any charm like you see in some other parts of the country. If you like strip malls, then you're in the right place. What part of Florida will you be going to?

You might want to consider Boston instead of Washington. I like both, and they are about the same distance from New York.
    Post edited by Kilarney on

• DC is not that awesome. Everything there is expensive and painful. The only exciting things to do are to go around looking at all the important buildings. Actually getting a tour of the Capitol or the White House sucks, if they are even open when you are there. In DC the only buildings you really need to go into are the National Archives so you can see the Constitution and the Smithsonian Institution. Arlington cemetery is also worth visiting. IIRC, there's also an old post office that is now a shopping mall. It has good food to eat inside. DC just really isn't that exciting if you ask me. You can see everything you need to see there in one day.
    Yes. NY is more fun than D.C. However, a person can go around the Mall area and see the different Smithsonians (the American History Museum is closed for renovations), the White House, the Capitol, The Washington Monument, The Lincoln Memorial (from which you can see Arlington), The National Gallery, The Arboretum, The Vietnam Memorial, the FDR Memorial, The Supreme Court, The Library of Congress, and the Jefferson Memorial in one day. I don't know why that would be expensive. They're all free. Some bus tours cost money and there are the street vendors, but if a person avoids that type of thing, it can be a cheap day. The National Cathedral is worth seeing, but it's not close to the other stuff. Don't waste your time on the National Geographic Museum.

If you have time, definitely go to Mount Vernon. It will cost to get in, but it's worth it. Mount Vernon will take a day.

Please allow some almost-bragging: My current office is on 14th and K Street. I see the White House and the Washington Monument every day when I walk to my office. It takes twenty minutes for me to walk from my office to the Lincoln Memorial.

• You might want to consider Boston instead of Washington. I like both, and they are about the same distance from New York.
    This is a good idea because you can take the super cheap Wong-Fei bus from NY to Boston and back.

Oh yeah, I also forgot. In DC, you want to go to the Holocaust Museum. It sucks at the American History Museum is closed. That's the best one. I remember I went in there and saw the ENIAC, or was it the UNIVAC? The Air + Space Smithsonian is the second best one, go there.
  • It's probably isn't worth the higher price to you, but I've always thought that the New York - Boston Limoliner was a really cool way to travel.
  • edited February 2007
    So I'm going to visit my grandparents in *shudder* Florida in June/July.
    I'll never forgive FL for giving us Bush.
    What is the best/cheapest way to travel internally in the USA?
    Look at this. Good luck.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • What is the best/cheapest way to travel internally in the USA?
    He could always share a "love bus" with a bunch of hippies.
  • edited February 2007
    Washington DC on July and June, It is gonna be hot, and humid. I would recommend walking on the Mall, do not go with a tour group. The best museums are the Museum of Natural Science, the Smithsonian, United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, if you wanna walk the whole day does three would take you one day, if you wanna walk more go to the Museum of National Arts. During the nights you can go to Club 9:30 , I think the rest of the time you can spend it walking around and seeing different monuments such as: Washington Memorial, Iwo Jima Memorial, etc.
    I would recommend getting a hotel close to any Metro Station., the DC metro works pretty good at least for me, just do not take any food, also taxis are pretty expensive and they can do pretty much anything on the road.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • We should get everyone in the forum who lives near D.C to hang out for the day when she comes haha.
  • If you happen to be in Orlando on the 2nd-4th of August, the World Yo-Yo Contest will be going on at the Rosen Plaza hotel. Go and be amazed! I (most probably) won't be able to make it this year unfortunately :(
  • Travel between major cities in the Northeastern United States can be accomplished fairly cheaply with Amtrak. Driving is cheapest by far, but that assumes you have a car already...
  • As Scott mentioned, the cheapest way by far to travel between New York and Boston or Washington DC are the Chinatown buses. $15 to Boston and $20 to Washington DC. This is about 25% the cost of Amtrak.
  • As Scott mentioned, the cheapest way by far to travel between New York and Boston or Washington DC are the Chinatown buses. $15 to Boston and $20 to Washington DC. This is about 25% the cost of Amtrak.
    I didn't realize there was a DC one. Awesome. I wonder if we can use it to get to Katsucon.
  • edited February 2007
    I'm not sure how up to date this is, but this website has a list of companies and routes. There are more routes than you think.

This company offers a fare of $35 for a round trip New York - DC ticket. Slightly better than the cheapest ticket ($137) on Rym's "fairly cheap" Amtrak.

If you found a car that got 35 miles to the gallon, then you'd spend about $35 on gas for the round trip. Not quite the "cheapest by far" option.
  • Some people like to go to America's favorite pastime: Baseball. I personally like other sports, but it's not called what it is for nothing.
  • If you found a car that got 35 miles to the gallon, then you'd spend about $35 on gas for the round trip. Not quite the "cheapest by far" option.
    Cheapest all together. You can't discount time spent when accounting for travel Aside from flying, driving is by far the fastest and requires zero preparation time. You can also go directly to your destination directly from your point of origin, as opposed to wherever the train/bus stations are. You don't have to show up anywhere early, check bags, etc...

You also have to get Amtrak tickets in advance with the periodic deals. I probably should have mentioned that. ^_~ I only ever take Amtrak when I can get a promotional ticket. Last time, I rode from Rochester to Chicago for some $45. (Nevermind the fact that -driving- would have been faster, and taking a cab in Chicago cost me a fair penny...)

At least as for gas mileage, my 98 Sunfire gets between 28 and 32 depending on the road and conditions. I've managed 33 if I keep the speed under 80 or so.
  • edited February 2007
    Amtrak can be quite cheap on the more rural routes. Many of these are subsidized by the states through which they travel. The problem is that the Northeast Corridor (DC - Boston) is their cash cow. They milk it for everything its worth, and bargains are few and far between. The web saver fares never feature routes in the Northeast Corridor, but you can get some amazing deals for other routes.

The one nice thing about train travel is that stations are generally located in a downtown area. If you drive to a city, you have to factor in the cost of parking or the hassle of parking in an outlying area and taking mass transit to the downtown area. Of course buses also take you downtown.

That's what makes the train so competitive in the northeast. The fact that you don't have to deal with the airport is a real time saver. I remember the good old days when I used to show up 25 minutes before my flight. Those days are long gone.

Just to show you how absurd the Amtrak fares are:
    It costs the same to travel from Vermont to Washington DC as it does from New Haven, CT to Washington DC. That's thanks to the Vermont subsidies.

Automobiles tend to really beat the competition when you start adding passengers. I doubt there is anything that beats four people in an automobile.

Public transportation drives me nuts sometimes. On my upcoming trip to Washington DC, I want to get from Alexandria VA to Maryland. It's just across the river - about 7 miles. There isn't a single bus that crosses the state line. I have to travel into the city and then back down into Maryland and then get a bus. It's about 1.5 hours to go 7 miles. A taxi is about $17 (one way), assuming there is minimal traffic. (Which is a huge assumption at the time I want to travel.)
  • On my upcoming trip to Washington DC, I want to get from Alexandria VA to Maryland. It's just across the river - about 7 miles. There isn't a single bus that crosses the state line. I have to travel into the city and then back down into Maryland andthenget a bus. It's about 1.5 hours to go 7 miles. A taxi is about $17 (one way), assuming there is minimal traffic. (Which is a huge assumption at the time I want to travel.)
    Where do you want to go in Maryland? I don't suppose it's possible you didn't check the Metro?
  • Yeah... I checked it. That's part of the 1.5 hours. I'd have to take the Metro from Alexandia into the city and then back out to Maryland. From there I have to catch a bus.
  • Depending on the day, the time, the destination, and the purpose, I might be able to give you a ride.
  • I really appreciate it - but that's when you said you were out of town. No big deal. I think I'll just opt for the taxi alternative.
  • edited February 2007
    I really appreciate it - but that's when you said you were out of town. No big deal. I think I'll just opt for the taxi alternative.
    When is your trip? I live right next to Alexandria when I'm not at college.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Mid-March.
  • The trouble with a car is that I am under 25 and that means renting one is out of the question unless I sell a kidney...hmm...I only need one right?

I'm going to North Port Florida, about all that is around there is old people. I won't be doing anything in Florida except seeing my grandparents, my grandfather has cancer and this may be the last time I get to see him.

I probably wouldn't spend much time in DC but I want to see all the musems and monuments and shit. I really haven't travelled the East Coast at all, my father lives in San Diego and when I went when I was little I had to spend the whole time with him instead of travelling around with my mother and grandmother. This time I don't have to see him at all, YAY!

Thanks for the good advice.
  • Well, this is something I noticed the first time I went to DC. When you are walking on the street, people are gonna say "I am sorry" or "Excuse me" even though they are walking 2 or 3 feet way from you. I recomend walking on Washington most of the museums are close to each other. Parking is kind of horrible in DC, by the it is kind of hard to find a good chinese place in China Town.
  • The trouble with a car is that I am under 25 and that means renting one is out of the question unless I sell a kidney...hmm...I only need one right?
    A couple of companies will do it, but the extra fees are outrageous.
    but I want to see all the musems and monuments and shit.
    Then DC is the place for you!
    A couple of companies will do it, but the extra fees are outrageous.
    Take out my kidney or hire me a car?
  • If you get yourself to New York City, there is basically limitless entertainment on a budget for days upon days. Hell, Scott, Em, and I could probably take you around on a Saturday or Sunday.
  • If you're going into DC, there are a ton of neat things near the Washington Monument to see. Museum of natural history, various art museums, the Newseum, Spy Museum, Holocaust Museum, tons of places to eat, lots of clubs, etc.