This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Northeast Conference on Science and Skepticism

edited February 2010 in Conventions
NECSS (pronounced "nexus")
Date: Saturday April 17, 2010
Time: 10AM-6PM
Location: Florence Gould Hall at the French Institute, 55 E. 59th St. New York, NY (between Madison and Park Avenues)
Full price: $65
Student: $40
Paid NESS member or NYC Skeptics donor: $40

Anyone interested?

Comments

• Very likely interested.
  • Ooh. It's too early to know yet, but I'll be keeping an eye on this.
  • I don't know... This could be a hoax...
  • Date is free on the Calendar.
    Yeah. Penciling it in now. (You FRC types should all be using your FRC calendars =P).
    Yeah. Penciling it in now. (You FRC types should all be using your FRC calendars =P).
    I'm waiting on a couple of things from some non-FRC folks. Getting dates nailed down and such.
  • So, this is the weekend after MoCCA, which itself is the weekend after Anime Boston, which itself is the weekend after PAX East.

Not that it'll stop me: it's basically next door, but bear that in mind if you're thinking of attending.
  • edited February 2010
    So, this is the weekend after MoCCA, which itself is the weekend after Anime Boston, which itself is the weekend after PAX East.
    FUCK ME. Looks like I'll be taking advantage of some laundry service in there somewhere.

Well, at least this is a one day event. MoCCA is two days, but I only need to go one.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • So, this is the weekend after MoCCA, which itself is the weekend after Anime Boston, which itself is the weekend after PAX East.
    FUCK ME. Looks like I'll be taking advantage of some laundry service in there somewhere.

Well, at least this is a one day event. MoCCA is two days, but I only need to go one.
    You could do your laundry during the week after work. :P
  • You could do your laundry during the week after work. :P
    I love having a washer/dryer in my apartment. ^_^
  • You could do your laundry during the week after work. :P
    It takes a looooong time.
  • edited February 2010
    You could do your laundry during the week after work. :P
    It takes a looooong time.
    Don't store up a ton of laundry. When you have one or two loads just do it then rather than waiting. If you have to go to a facility outside of your building, then bring along a book, laptop, etc. and do something worthwhile while you wait. It shouldn't take all that long to do a few loads if you have access to adequate machines.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Don't store up a ton of laundry. When you have one or two loads just do it then rather than waiting. If you have to go to a facility outside of your building, then bring along a book, laptop, etc. and do something worthwhile while you wait. It shouldn't take all that long to do a few loads if you have access to adequate machines.
    It's in the basement of the building, but it's not free. I can save a lot of money by doing fewer larger loads.
  • edited February 2010
    Don't store up a ton of laundry. When you have one or two loads just do it then rather than waiting. If you have to go to a facility outside of your building, then bring along a book, laptop, etc. and do something worthwhile while you wait. It shouldn't take all that long to do a few loads if you have access to adequate machines.
    It's in the basement of the building, but it's not free. I can save a lot of money by doing fewer larger loads.
    Or spend a little more for the convenience and extra time to do fun things. *goes downstairs to do laundry awesomely*

This event sound up my alley. Too bad I can't.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Don't store up a ton of laundry. When you have one or two loads just do it then rather than waiting. If you have to go to a facility outside of your building, then bring along a book, laptop, etc. and do something worthwhile while you wait. It shouldn't take all that long to do a few loads if you have access to adequate machines.
    The larger the load, the less effective and efficient it the cleaning process. Also, it takes quite a bit longer to dry a large load and that can fade, pill, shrink and wear your clothes much faster.
  • Sadly, I cannot attend. Final oral arguments are that weekend. Why they decided that they needed to be on a weekend, I'll never know. Not sure why they couldn't designate week days for it.
  • edited February 2010
    Final oral arguments
    Oh, so does that mean you won't be giving me shit anymore? :P
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited February 2010
    Final oral arguments
    Oh, so does that mean you won't be giving me shit anymore? :P
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's so cute.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • I thought one of the perks of being an atheist is that you don't have to go anywhere on the weekend. (^_^)

Wow, Kate wants to do something in NY, of her own accord?! Satan must be playing hockey today!
  • Of course, people can stay at our place and Scott's place. Just let us know ahead of time so we can plan. We have three guest queen beds, so six can sleep here if they need to, though we'd prefer four.
  • edited February 2010
    Wow, Kate wants to do something in NY, of her own accord?! Satan must be playing hockey today!
    There are lost of things I want to do in NYC, I am just too poor to get there. Please don't misconstrue my preference for a country lifestyle to mean that I don't see the value of the city or that I do not want to attend events in the city. If I had more money, I would likely go to NYC, Boston, etc. once per month for concerts/events/activities/attractions.
    EDIT: I would really like to go if I can scrape the funds together (including train trip, boarding the dogs, registration, and food - it isn't' exactly cheap). Without the ability to stay at someone's place in the city, we won't be able to attend.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • At least three of us have places. :) Ours is the least luxurious, but if you ever need to bring the dogs with you, our place allows all pets.
  • edited February 2010
    EDIT: I would really like to go if I can scrape the funds together (including train trip, boarding the dogs, registration, and food - it isn't' exactly cheap). Without the ability to stay at someone's place in the city, we won't be able to attend.
    Megabus runs from the Albany amtrak station to NYC for a lot less than the train. Why not just go for the day?
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • EDIT: I would really like to go if I can scrape the funds together (including train trip, boarding the dogs, registration, and food - it isn't' exactly cheap). Without the ability to stay at someone's place in the city, we won't be able to attend.
    Megabus runs from the Albany amtrak station to NYC for a lot less than the train. Why not just go for the day?
    Megabus is a good idea. We wouldn't take Amtrak to NYC, we would just drive down to a metro north station and then train in from there. Megabus would likely be cheaper than that, so we will likely take it if it is cheaper than a two way pass on the Metro North. As for your suggestion of only going for a day, it doesn't really make sense. It would be about 6 - 7 hours of commute for a one day event and I wouldn't be able to see my friends and tool around the city (which is a major point in me attending an event in the city) at all if I don't stay over. Also, the event begins at 10:00 a.m. We would need to leave Albany no later than 6:00 a.m. in order to make it there on time.
  • but if you ever need to bring the dogs with you, our place allows all pets.
    They're also right along the 7, which stops across the street from our place and a short stop from Scott. It runs then right through midtown at 42nd street.
  • So, who is going to this? Interest seems to have petered out among many of you. ^_~
  • So, who is going to this? Interest seems to have petered out among many of you. ^_~
    Um, it was April 17th. That was this past Saturday.
  • Um, it was April 17th. That was this past Saturday.
    Fair enough. So who's going to Tora-con, and who's coming into the city to party with us? ;^)
    Um, it was April 17th. That was this past Saturday.
    Classic!
  • Fair enough. So who's going to Tora-con, and who's coming into the city to party with us? ;^)
    What city, Rotchester?