This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Buying a E-reader and a Big flat screen: Suggestions

edited February 2010 in Technology
Sooo, Laura wants a E-reader and I want a 40-50 inch Flat screen TV. What should we get?

E-Reader, I'm thinking of staying away from the Kindle only because I don't like the limits (I don't like that Kindle books only work on Kindles) and conversion fees. So I'm leaning towards the Sony, the nook or an Aztak (from Newegg).

As for a TV, I'm leaning towards a 1080p plasma from panasonic or a 1080p Samsung or Sony (or some off brand). I know what to look for and the size, it's more which brand and any additional features I might want to think about beyond the typical things. Mainly, I'm looking for some ideas to see if I am overlooking something awesome before I buy.

Comments

• Aztek (from Newegg
    What is this? I can't find it anywhere. Not even Newegg.
  • edited February 2010
    Sorry, that was Aztak Aztak (best reviewed at Newegg)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Get a Vizio TV. You will like them. They are cheap, and still quality enough. You will not notice a difference. To get a TV where you notice the difference, the price will be way higher. Just make sure that it's 1080p and has enough connectors to hook up to your stuff properly. The only features you want to pay attention to is LED backlight. If it has LED backlight it will be way better, but also more expensive. However, if you get LED backlight, make sure it's a direct LED backlight, and not an edge backlight. Edge sucks, just avoid it entirely because the edges of the screen are brighter than the center. Also, picture in picture is something to pay attention to.

As for e-reader, if you want no DRM, you should consider the bebook.
  • As for e-reader, if you want no DRM, you should consider thebebook.
    Isn't the nook DRM-free?
  • I've made pretty lengthy posts in another thread about why I like the Sony Reader. To make a long story short, the Sony Reader is much more open than the Kindle. This will give you many more options. I also like its design better. The only catch is that Amazon books are often cheaper than Sony's - although it looks like this is changing quickly so that Amazon's prices are more in line with Sony's.

The cheap one on Newegg is not e-ink, IIRC.

I'm not a huge fan of the Nook. It's got potential, but it looks like there are some kinks to be worked out.

I'm waiting to see what the next-gen Kindle brings, but now that Amazon's prices are going up, I've lost a lot of interest.
  • but it looks like there are some kinks to be worked out.
    What are the kinks?
  • Astak 5-inch EZ Reader Pocket Pro, $199 The more I read the more I lean towards this.
  • edited February 2010
    Our flatscreen is a Vizio, and it works just fine. One problem it seems to have is when we connect a laptop through HDMI, it has trouble with the video. We think it might be because it's a HD upconverter and it's trying to convert the video from the laptop into HD. sadly, when you are watching something on Hulu or playing a video locally, this appears to fail miserably. The video gets a little skippy, especially when there are fast graphic changes like a fight scene.

So, if you are hooking it up to a computer, be wary of that.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Our flatscreen is a Vizio, and it works just fine. One problem it seems to have is when we connect a laptop through HDMI, it has trouble with the video. We think it might be because it's a HD upconverter and it's trying to convert the video from the laptop into HD. sadly, when you are watching something on Hulu or playing a video locally, this appears to fail miserably. The video gets a little skippy, especially when there are fast graphic changes like a fight scene.
    Is your laptop that you are connecting capable of outputting HD? If it can, then it probably won't upconvert. Also, you have to make sure the refresh rate is correct in the video settings so that it syncs properly with the TV. Usually you want it at 60Hz.
  • Our flatscreen is a Vizio, and it works just fine. One problem it seems to have is when we connect a laptop through HDMI, it has trouble with the video. We think it might be because it's a HD upconverter and it's trying to convert the video from the laptop into HD. sadly, when you are watching something on Hulu or playing a video locally, this appears to fail miserably. The video gets a little skippy, especially when there are fast graphic changes like a fight scene.
    Is your laptop that you are connecting capable of outputting HD? If it can, then it probably won't upconvert. Also, you have to make sure the refresh rate is correct in the video settings so that it syncs properly with the TV. Usually you want it at 60Hz.
    Okay, we'll check on it. Moe does the computer stuff, since it's her laptop.
  • Every current-gen ebook reader I've seen is slow and crappy. I would wait.
  • Astak 5-inch EZ Reader Pocket Pro, $199 The more I read the more I lean towards this.
    Isn't the 5 inch Sony reader the same price?
  • edited February 2010
    Every current-gen ebook reader I've seen is slow and crappy. I would wait.
    I wholeheartedly disagree. For reading, they work very well. It's when people expect them to do more that they seem to be inadequate.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Isn't the 5 inch Sony reader the same price?
    If two products are out there of similar quality, I'll buy the lesser known brand just to help the little guy :-p (plus I am not a big fan of Sony's "quality" of late.
  • Isn't the 5 inch Sony reader the same price?
    If two products are out there of similar quality, I'll buy the lesser known brand just to help the little guy :-p (plus I am not a big fan of Sony's "quality" of late.
    You should get the BeBook then.
  • I'm reading that Bebook is of a brand of 3DO like e-readers, a bunch of different companies re-branding a base unit. It's on the short list but the Astek seems to be better (and at least I'd be dealing with the company that actually made it)
  • I'm reading that Bebook is of a brand of 3DO like e-readers, a bunch of different companies re-branding a base unit. It's on the short list but the Astek seems to be better (and at least I'd be dealing with the company that actually made it)
    We all know how that ended up...I'd stick with the nook if I were you.
  • We all know how that ended up...I'd stick with the nook if I were you.
    DRM, no unlimited sharing...

I like wood pulp. It does what I tell it, goes where I want it after one easy down payment. And I can read it as long as the sun hangs in the sky!
  • We all know how that ended up...I'd stick with the nook if I were you.
    DRM, no unlimited sharing...

I like wood pulp. It does what I tell it, goes where I want it after one easy down payment. And I can read it as long as the sun hangs in the sky!
    Wait a minute...I thought the nook didn't have any DRM?
  • Wait a minute...I thought the nook didn't have any DRM?
    I believe you have been misinformed.
  • Wait a minute...I thought the nook didn't have any DRM?
    I believe you have been misinformed.
    I think you're thinking of the Kindle, WindUpBird.
  • I think you're thinking of the Kindle, WindUpBird.
    Mrrf. I thought the nook was DRM'd? Maybe they changed plans.
  • I think you're thinking of the Kindle, WindUpBird.
    Mrrf. I thought the nook was DRM'd? Maybe they changed plans.
    I don't think the nook was DRM'd to begin with.
  • I don't think the nook was DRM'd to begin with.
    It was; I was attempting to research it and it appears they changed the setup either shortly before or after release.
  • edited February 2010
    We have a Sony Bravia that we love. It was on a great sale when we got it, but the biggest selling point for us were in the multiple input including multiple HD inputs.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • So Laura is now leaning towards a Nook, I couldn't find any info on the Nook changing in some negative way (they did update the firmware and apparently fixed a lot of software issues).
  • OzOz
    edited February 2010
    Astak 5-inch EZ Reader Pocket Pro, $199 The more I read the more I lean towards this.
    I have one of these. It is excellent. If you are going to get an e-reader, get one of these. As far as I can tell, the Aztak=Bebook=Hanlin v3, so the only thing that matters is where you live and how much you want to pay for shipping. Their firmwares are interchangeable, and if you don't like them, you could always use OpenInkpot.
    Post edited by Oz on
  • edited February 2010
    Ahh... yes. The Hanlin has other branded names. Assuming the software is decent (which can vary even if the hardware is the same), these are definitely legitimate alternatives to the Sony PRS-300. I would be quite pleased with a Hanlin.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Panasonic 50 inch plasma 1080p So this looks like what I might pick up today. It seems to only get hit for crappy speakers, which I will soon get a decent sound system (I wired my basement already for when I was going to do this anyhow.) It doesn't have the picture in picture ability but I really don't see myself using that at all (I've had other tv's with that) it has a PC input which is good and is the right price. I'm a little concerned it will not work will where I'm going to place it but if it doesn't I'll just move it to the living room instead of the basement ^_^

Laura decided on the Nook from Barnes and Noble (though due to the snowstorm it was sold out at the local B&N.) I'm going to have her look at the best buy sony's before she pulls the trigger today just so she has some real life comparisons.
  • 50"?!! Are you blind or something?