This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Information Super Highway

edited February 2007 in Flamewars
I know what you are thinking, its an eff'n metaphor! Yeah, that's exactly what it is! But I've found that in high school, its really difficult to explain (and contradict) to people the blatant contradictions they believe in.

I wanted to write as a suggestion for a Thursday episode, or as a forum game, that we discuss irritating public misconceptions that to clarify or explain leaves laymen glaze-eyed. It would be nice to point these out and clarify them.

In that regard, I really cannot explain things to some people so they'll understand. As I write I'm here in Debate class trying to explain Net Neutrality to my classmates. I frowned against another who used the "highway and tollbooth" metaphor...and sadly enough, he actually says tubes and pipes a couple times in his speech. I suggested that such an explanation in rounds is quintessential... But I can't quickly, without sounding a bit pretentious at least, explain it in simple terms for laymen to understand. Any suggestions?

I guess to kick off the list, I'll offer:

The Information Super Highway ~ my favorite!
Scientists say it is merely a theory, it can't be considered!

Comments

• Show this to all your friends to explain net neutrality.
  • Show thisto all your friends to explain net neutrality.
    That is one of the worst FUD lines in the whole Net Neutrality debate!
  • That is one of the worst FUD lines in the whole Net Neutrality debate!
    Elaborate.

You set a "combative" tone with the above sentence, so you shouldn't complain when I ask: Are you always on the side of big business and the establishment or what?

You set a "combative" tone with the above sentence, so you shouldn't complain when I ask: Are you always on the side of big business and the establishment or what?
    Only when the other side uses FUD as it's argument.

Also, you have not addressed my comment. Do you think it is FUD or is not FUD?
  • edited February 2007
    No, I don't think it's FUD. I think it's suggestions made by kids to a kid to use to try to explain a concept to other kids. I see no fear, uncertainty, or doubt in the cited resources, while yours contains corporate propaganda in the form of a broken post office analogy. It's a lot easier to see the broken analogy as FUD propagated by telco sheeple.

The post office analogies do not work here since other providers have access to the last mile (a person's home computer). These services were given a monopoly, so market forces are out. Don't even start with one of your Limbaugh-esque "the market does what I say it does" rants.

I think we should just utilize language out of the Supreme Court Kelo "eminent domain" case to completely take over broadband networks from the telcos as suggested here.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Are you suggesting the Kelo case was just?

The postal analogy works perfectly as there are other options for sending your package.

How is the "telcos want to block Google" anything but a lie and FUD? Are suggesting that if an analogy is based on spreading a lie it is "ok" because it is easier to understand?
  • edited February 2007
    I think it's suggestions made by kids to a kid to use to try to explain a concept to other kids
    Who are you calling a kid? Punk.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited February 2007
    My post is clear enough. I'm not going to be drawn into one of these deals where you keep sending back intentionally obtuse posts again and again ad nauseum.

But I can't resist just one:

(1) It doesn't matter whether Kelo is just. It exists regardless of it's justice and, since it exists, we should use it to take the telcos toys away from them.

Your paragraphs (2) and (3) are simply conclusory, analogous to your "I know you are but what am I" suggestion in another post.

That's it. I'm done. Jason, do you feel like saying "Bonzai!!!!!!111" now?
  • edited February 2007
    I think it's suggestions made by kids to a kid to use to try to explain a concept to other kids
    Who are you calling a kid? Punk.
    No offense meant. Really. But you said in another thread you weren't even alive when I was a freshman in college. So, compared to me, you're a kid. There's no shame in that and the term was not meant to be offensive. Revel in your youth. My knees and my right foot are hurting really bad today for no reason whatsoever (except maybe arthritis), so I'd rather be a kid than an old guy.
  • What? You state a monopoly is at work but there is no monopoly in regard to the mail because of access to the last mile. UPS/Fed-Ex both have "last mile" access as do all ISPs. Were you trying to say something else because your post is unclear.

You did not answer my question on Kelo.

Are you saying "the telcos want to block Google" is a true statement and not a lie?
  • edited February 2007
    It's ok joe, I wasn't really offended by it, I was just joking with you.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Are you saying "the telcos want to block Google" is a true statement and not a lie?
    Why wouldn't they if they made a deal with Yahoo? Under what laws could we sue them if such a deal was made?
  • Once more: (1) Read your own little article where you talk about the last mile. (2) I say it in the post and it cannot be more clear: Kelo is the law of the land. It makes NO difference whether it's just. Since it's there, it can be used. I want to use it to take over the telcos. (3) I'm saying your statement that "fill-in-the-blank-whatever" is a lie is a conclusory statement. It says so in the post. Please just read it.

No more for this bit, so tempt me no more.
  • edited February 2007
    It's ok joe, I wasn't really offended by it, I was just joking with you.
    I wasn't sure because you didn't use the green.

It's just so odd. Do you have any memory at all of the Soviet Union? New Wave? Frankie Goes to Hollywood? Apple IIe?
  • It's just so odd. Do you have any memory at all of the Soviet Union? New Wave? Frankie Goes to Hollywood? Apple IIe?
    I vaguely remember watching the first Iraq invasion, mostly because my dad was an Air Force bomber pilot. I remember going at night to watch him take off. This was when I was about 2-3 years old. The first computer I remember using was the Mac II in kindergarten. I remember Windows 3.0 vivdly and used DOS all the time.
  • OMG! I didn't see my first computer until I was a Sophomore in High school and that was a TRS-80 Color Computer.

Do you NOT have weird pains shooting up and down your extremities all the time, random headaches, and the urge to pee 5 times a night?

• Do you NOT have weird pains shooting up and down your extremities all the time, random headaches, and the urge to pee 5 times a night?
    Lol, no...Think about this. Your only 8 years younger than my dad.
  • I'm sure since he's a military guy, he's in lots better shape than me. Right now, I'm just praying that there'll be tremendous advances in medical science. In my opinion, those stem cells can die in a fire. I want miracle cures n stuff.
  • Joe used a hole-puncher and a paper card to make his first computer say, "YOU ARE A PENIS!111"
  • I did take a CS class in '84 in which we needed to use punch cards. It was tough keeping them straight, and if one got out of line, you were all messed up. That, Pascal, and databases were enough to make me stop taking computer classes.

We thought the VAX and the DEC Rainbows we got in '85 were pretty high tech, but I missed the Commodore PETs we used to have at my high school.
  • Paper punch cards are nothing compared to the metal memory cards we used to have to use when doing back-ups on the old 1AESS switches. If those cards were in wrong they would go in crooked and crumble like tin foil!

They were not made out of tin foil though so it was a major pain in the ass to yank them out and fix the problem. Luckily it did not happen often.
  • That, Pascal, and databases were enough to make me stop taking computer classes.
    Yeah, I had an internship last summer that touched on databases. Now that I know what DB2, SQL, z/OS and pretty much what things like Oracle are, I'm scared shitless of going into that field.
  • DB are teh awesome! I love creating databases, the part I do not like is coding the PHP backend so people can use the database...