This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Scott Scott Robot

edited July 2009 in GeekNights
I don't know why I didn't make a forum thread about this. If you watch the tweets, or actually read frontrowcrew.com, you already know this. But for those of you who do not, all this week I am doing ustreams of Scott Scott Robot. Basically I'm building a model of Mazinger Z, with my weak-ass modeling skills, and you can watch. I've also saved the episodes, so you can watch them whenever you want if not live.

I'm about to record the next one as I type. It is 8:10 PM eastern on Wednesday July 22, 2009. I've been doing all of them around 8:00-8:30ish times, and I'll try to keep it consistent until I finish the robot.

The URL is http://www.ustream.tv/channel/scott-scott-robot

Comments

• I should get a good model kit and make it. Too bad all the mecha I really like are tough to find models for. Like GaoGaiGar.
  • Caught the tail end of the first show while on a bus with WiFi, which was fun to see. Won't get proper internet access on my laptop again until I get home tomorrow, so I'll have to wait to catch more. Wish the iPhone supported more types of video. :(
  • So...is there going to be another show tonight?
  • So...is there going to be another show tonight?
    Yes, very soon.
  • But when will now... be then?
  • Scott I have found your Mazinger Z model kit online but it is sold out on the site I was looking at.
  • Scott I have found yourMazinger Zmodel kit online but it is sold out on the site I was looking at.
    That's not the one I have. This is the one I have. Also, it's out of stock on that site, but maybe you can find it somewhere else.
  • actually I'm looking in to buy this Gundam model kit when I have enough money and I was mistaken on the Mazinger Z the box art looked similar.
  • Did you finish the build? Also did you ever think of practicing your painting techniques on the silvery/unpainted miniatures that came in the set of 12?
  • Did you finish the build? Also did you ever think of practicing your painting techniques on the silvery/unpainted miniatures that came in the set of 12?
    I'm going to make the wingalings next week probably.
  • So, according to Scott's twitter, there is a Scott Scott Robot tonight. Any definite time or something?
  • Looks like it's on now.
  • I am currently waiting for my Gundam Dynames 1/144 scale model kit to arrive, would anyone be interested in a live stream of me building it?
  • I am currently waiting for my Gundam Dynames 1/144 scale model kit to arrive, would anyone be interested in a live stream of me building it?
    I would be!
    Oh mans! It's coming. It's coming. It's coming... from Kansas City.
  • My model kit will be here on Monday, so when is it a good time for a live feed for whomever wants to watch?
  • edited September 2009
    Live feed will be starting at 1:30. I fully understand that it is the middle of the day, but I really want to start building the model kit.
    EDIT: Screw it, I'll broadcast the next one I build. I am to freaking excited about this to wait for a time when people will actually be able to watch.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I ordered the Gundam Kyrios 1/144 scale model kit earlier this week and I should be receiving it sometime between Monday and Wednesday of next week, so If anyone would want to watch a live streaming assembling, I'll be doing one.

I need to get this off my chest. What is it with 1/144 scale models not coming with all of the weapons? My Exia Repair II is the only Gundam model I own now that has almost all of it's weapons (it only has 1 beam sabre). My Dynames only has it's sniper rifle and 2 beam sabre hilts (it should have come with the blades and two pistols) and I just found out that the Kyrios has the same 2 hilts, but no actual blades. What the hell? It's not like the beam sabres have the clear purplish-pink blades in the 1/144 scale, the one for the Exia was just white plastic and I had to paint it to make it even look similar to how it is on the show.
  • I have the 1/144 scale Kyrios. I thought it would be cool to make something that actually transforms. The reality was sad in that the transformation isn't very clean. It involves removing and adding different pieces. As a result, I've never transformed it. I think soon I am going to build this MG Freedom Gundam extra finish version. The first Gundam I ever made was the 1/100 Freedom, because it is my favorite. Sadly, because it was my first, I messed up a lot, and it broke. Now that I am more experienced, this second one should be good.
  • edited February 2010
    I thought it would be cool to make something that actually transforms. The reality was sad in that the transformation isn't very clean. It involves removing and adding different pieces.
    I feel like that would just be ridiculously hard to do in a 1/144 scale. That would involve a lot of extra and incredibly small moving pieces that would just up the cost of production and jack up the price of the model (and the price of the Kyrios is already higher, as I came to discover while shopping around for one). I agree with you to the point that having it actually transform would be awesome, I just don't think that it's plausible.

On another note, I would love to move up to the larger scales. The jump in price combined with the fact that I don't really have any paints or a good detailing pen yet makes doing that a near impossibility. Maybe I can try some Games Workshop paints. I know they're expensive, but they do have a fantastic selection (unlike Michaels).

• On another note, I would love to move up to the larger scales. The jump in price combined with the fact that I don't really have any paints or a good detailing pen yet makes doing that a near impossibility. Maybe I can try some Games Workshop paints. I know they're expensive, but they do have a fantastic selection (unlike Michaels).
    I do the 1/100 without any paint or anything. It's fine.
  • edited February 2010
    I do the 1/100 without any paint or anything. It's fine.
    I want to move into doing more customized building and painting, like trying some more metallic finishes using a base coat of black primer and more high quality paints. I really need the paint for 1/144 scale because of the lack of correct colours in places.

• On another note, I would love to move up to the larger scales. The jump in price combined with the fact that I don't really have any paints or a good detailing pen yet makes doing that a near impossibility. Maybe I can try some Games Workshop paints. I know they're expensive, but they do have a fantastic selection (unlike Michaels).
    This site has a good selection of paints and other modeling supplies.
  • I want to move into doing more customized building and painting, like trying some more metallic finishes using a base coat of black primer and more high quality paints. I really need the paint for 1/144 scale because of the lack of correct colours in places.
    That's why I bought the extra finish version that is already shiny :)
  • That's why I bought the extra finish version that is already shiny :)
    Are those more expensive than the normal ones? My ultimate goal in this is to do fully customized models like making them battle damaged.
  • That's why I bought the extra finish version that is already shiny :)
    Are those more expensive than the normal ones? My ultimate goal in this is to do fully customized models like making them battle damaged.
    Yeah, it was more money than the non-shiny 1/100.

If you are looking to mod stuff, you are way beyond me. Good luck to you.
  • Is there ever going to be another Scott Scott Robot in the Future, Scott?
  • My ultimate goal in this is to do fully customized models like making them battle damaged.
    I'm a maker and a modeler, and I believe I can safely say that if this is your ultimate goal, you may want to invest in a Dremel. They do everything: boring, reaming, drilling, sanding, shaping, engraving, buffing, polishing, brushing. It's well-worth your money; it's a staple in any maker's arsenal of tools.
  • My Kyrios should be in tomorrow (as it was already in Greenville as of yesterday), so I'm thinking of starting the feed around 7 or 8 (Eastern time) on my ustream (Li_Akahi). I should know for certain tomorrow when I'll start.
  • It's here and I will be starting to build it at 7 (Eastern) tonight on my ustream channel, I even made a very stupid/silly name for the show (King of Builders: Ryanar Episode 1: Ryanar VS Gundam Kyrios). If anyone is interested in watching, please say so. If no one wants to watch, I won't do it.