This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Katsucon or Ghost Rider

edited February 2007 in Conventions
I kinda want to go to Katsucon, but I also kinda want to see "Ghost Rider". Which do you think would be better?

Comments

• The green font takes all the humor out of sarcasm -_-
  • Hmm guaranteed awesome, or most likely horrid movie... hard choice.
  • I kind of like Ghost Rider. I mean, a motorcycle with fire for wheels ridden by a guy with a flaming skull for a head. That's tough to beat. I've read some of the comics, and I've seen the trailer for the movie. To be perfectly honest, I think that's enough. The trailer showed me everything I want to see in the movie, so now I have no reason to see the movie itself.

Also, how could someone possibly choose to go to a movie, that you could see any time, over a once in a lifetime event like a convention? I mean, if they somehow had Netflix for conventions or something, but they don't.
  • I think we've gotten to the point where we're all stretching just a little bit too much on which comic books we adapt to the screen. Superman, Batman, Spiderman -- they're all staples. Everybody knows them. We've all grown up with them. But Electra? Punisher? Ironman? Ghost Rider? They've got good followings of their own, but I would hardly call them cultural icons that have mass appeal. Even the Fantastic Four, as many issues as they've sold, are really kind of lame. While Spiderman III will probably bash some box office booty, I'm not exactly convinced that GR of Fantastic Four II: Silver Surfer are going to draw crowds. Call me crazy.
  • Really, there is no comparison. Rym and Scott are awesome guys to hang out at a convention with...and I speak from several cons worth of experience.
  • Well I for one am kinda interested in how Fantastic Four II: Silver Surfer turns out.

I think Iron Man however will make a great movie (and hopefully will)
  • Well I for one am kinda interested in how Fantastic Four II: Silver Surfer turns out.

For the record, I like the Silver Surfer, and I hate Iron Man. I'm betting both movies will suck ass.
  • edited February 2007
    Honestly, I think I'm gonna see GR Friday and go to the con on Saturday. I'm putting in enough hours and the cold is hurting me enough that, by Friday, I'm very tired and cranky. Seriously tired and cranky, and with a list of vague physical complaints I won't burden you with by listing here.

Actually, I might try to get in all my hours before Friday. Then I could sleep in Friday and go to the con and not be too tired.

I'm interested enough in GR to see it in a theater. I really like the trailer, and I think Cage would be good. The last movie I saw in a theater was "Superman Returns". I usually wait for the DVD and I'm usually glad I did. Superman was worth it, though. The effects were good, the story wasn't too bad, and it had a lot of nifty references back to "Superman: The Movie". I remember seeing that when I was in 8th grade. When he caught the helicopter falling from the Daily Planet Building, everyone stood and applauded. It's rare when that sort of thing happens outside of a midnight movie.

Jason, the FF movie might not have been all that good, but the FF is NOT lame! Actually, the one thing the movie did do well is the relationship between Johnny and Ben. Most everything else was kinda meh. If you get a chance, you should see Corman's movie. It was truly awful. The comic "Ultimate Fantastic Four" is definitely worth reading.

I've looked around the Katsucon website a lot. I don't see much that's not completely anime. I know many people are very interested in anime, and that's fine. I like it too, but I probably don't have as high an interest level as some. I'd be a lot more interested if I knew there was gonna be more regular science fiction stuff.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on

For the record, I like the Silver Surfer, and I hate Iron Man. I'm betting both movies will suck ass.
    I've always wanted to like Iron Man, but Stark is just such an ass . . . and I get sick of all the corporate crap. One thing that really made me like the FF was that they were always going bankrupt.
  • IMHO the Fantastic Four comic has sucked for a long time. It was good at only one point in its history AFAIK. At that point you still had Jack Kirby Art and you still had Stan Lee trying to put in strong moral messages. However, the cornball factor was slightly lower than usual for Marvel comics of that era. Dont' get me wrong, it's still corny as hell, but the corniness level dropped just enough to let the good comic shine through. Get Essential Fantastic Four Vol. 3, and you'll never need to read any FF ever again.
  • edited February 2007
    I agree with about 90% of what you said. I wouldn't discount John Byrne's run. I liked the She-Hulk era especially well.

But I haven't looked at the regular FF since Wieringo and Kesel. Ultimate Fantastic Four is much better.
  • FF is lame. Rubberman! Burningdude! Strongperson! Invisigirl! Of all the crap-ass superpowers, these may be the only ones lamer than Superman's. Unless you count these, which are pretty bad as well.
  • edited February 2007
    At the risk of sounding like the BSG people who always say that the show is more about characterization than nuts-and-bolts SF, I'd say that the powers-n-stuff aren't why I read FF. I read FF to see what kind of awesome stuff Reed is building, to fantasize that I could be that smart, to stare longingly at Sue, to see Ben cry, to watch Ben and Johnny punkin' each other, and to fantacize about living in Manhattan.
  • I like FF because sometimes it isn't a superhero story, but an actual literary speculative science fiction story. Sometimes. The good times.
  • edited February 2007
    I like FF because sometimes it isn't a superhero story, but an actual literary speculative science fiction story. Sometimes. The good times.
    Yeah. They stressed that in the Wieringo and Kesel 9 cent issue and called themselves imaginauts. And that's what they're really concentrating on in Ultimate FF. In the N-Zone story, where they first meet Annihilus, Reed hardly stretches at all and Johnny hardly ever flies because he's sick for most of the story. Oh yeah - Reed let Johnny name the vehicle they used to get around in the N-Zone. He named it "Awesome".

So who's going to Katsucon and what days will you be there?
  • edited February 2007
    I debated starting up a new thread on Katsucon, but it was easier to revive this one until Scrym sets us up an official one.

As a DC local, I guess I have things a little easier:
    Friday: Get out of work at noon, call cab, run in my apartment, change, grab bag, take cab to metro, arrive at Omni-Shoreham and stand in the reg line for way too long.
    Saturday: All day.
    Sunday: I'm staying until they kick me out! Or at least until I'm drunk enough for the Maids/Janitors to tell me I'm as bad as the Young Republicans. Tough call there. :P

I'd likely also be up for dinner with anyone coming in on Thursday at thereabouts of 6:00-6:30 (edit: due to DC closing down early on Tuesday and forcing me to use the early day I was hoarding)...which is as early as I could get downtown coming straight from work.
    Post edited by Your Mom on
  • I'll probably be arriving in Washington D.C. around 8 or 9 (quickier without traffic... LOL). (Depending on how much my roommate delays me and how quickly I get out of work)

• I'd likely also be up for dinner with anyone coming in on Thursday at thereabouts of 5:00-5:30...which is as early as I could get downtown coming straight from work.
    Where were you thinking about for dinner?
  • I don't plan on doing either but given the choice you should go to Katsucon since the movie will be in theaters for a few weeks you'll have time to see it after Katsucon.

• I'd likely also be up for dinner with anyone coming in on Thursday at thereabouts of 5:00-5:30...which is as early as I could get downtown coming straight from work.
    Where were you thinking about for dinner?
    Probably something up in the vicinity of the con, which opens up most possibilities by the Adams-Morgan metro stop. Bad weather in the area has forced my to use my early day, so I could only come in a little later...
  • There is a good pub nearby the con hotel that I went to last year, and there was also a Japanese (aka sushi) place I ate at as well. Sushi place was obviously pretty busy, but it was good. Even made you take off your shoes if you sat in certain places.