This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What anime are you watching? v2.0

Comments

• What? How can you hold these two opinions...
    Because the first is talking about Escaflowne and the second is talking about Hellsing. ???
  • The Hellsing TV series turns to crap in the 2nd half. Hellsing Ultimate is where it's at (and the it is a shitton of gore).
  • The Hellsing TV series turns to crap in the 2nd half. Hellsing Ultimate is where it's at (and the it is a shitton of gore).
    Hellsing does turn for the worse in the second half. I have yet to see Hellsing Ultimate.
    While I agree with statement #1, I can't agree with statement #2. Hellsing Ultimate has been a huge disappointment to me. The main fight in episode 2 was about as close to good as it got. It just doesn't have any of the style that makes the original show so great.
  • Because the first is talking about Escaflowne and the second is talking about Hellsing. ???
    Because all of Hellsing is unmitigated crap, a god like anti-hero getting out of situations because you are never told he's completely invulnerable. There really is nothing redeeming about that show, it's derivative AND boring. At least Vampire Hunter D had a talking hand (and that show is highly overrated).
  • At least Vampire Hunter D had a talking hand
  • edited February 2010
    I can't agree with statement #2. Hellsing Ultimate has been a huge disappointment to me. The main fight in episode 2 was about as close to good as it got. It just doesn't have any of the style that makes the original show so great.
    Hellsing Ultimate is a perfect example of how wrong an anime can go when you "make it more like the manga."
    Because all of Hellsing is unmitigated crap, a god like anti-hero getting out of situations because you are never told he's completely invulnerable. There really is nothing redeeming about that show, it's derivative AND boring.
    Well I liked it. :( I guess you do have a point though. I think it was more how the show was put together that I liked.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Because all of Hellsing is unmitigated crap, a god like anti-hero getting out of situations because you are never told he's completely invulnerable. There really is nothing redeeming about that show, it's derivative AND boring. At least Vampire Hunter D had a talking hand (and that show is highly overrated).
    Whoa, ScoJo busts up a show.
  • Whoa, ScoJo busts up a show.
    He's right though, I'm letting nostalgia interfere with my objectivity. EPIC FAIL!
  • He's right though, I'm letting nostalgia interfere with my objectivity. EPIC FAIL!
    Yea, but that doesn't explain why you liked it in the first place :-p
  • Yea, but that doesn't explain why you liked it in the first place :-p
    I was in high school, think for a moment about how many things exploded in that series...
  • Oh snaps, the first season of Big O just appeared at my house today! Looks like I will not be doing anything productive for a while.
    While I agree with statement #1, I can't agree with statement #2. Hellsing Ultimate has been a huge disappointment to me. The main fight in episode 2 was about as close to good as it got. It just doesn't have any of the style that makes the original show so great.
    Hellsing Ultimate sticks to the manga very very closely. If you don't like Ultimate, you simply don't like Hellsing. The fights not being close is probably the least off a criticism. The fights aren't supposed to be close and that is in fact a statement portrayed throughout the series and even stated by the people in the show. The Major has absolutely no illusions of being able to actually defeat Alucard which is why he relies on tricks such as baiting Alucard onto an aircraft carrier in the middle of the atlantic and he is quite content to simply throw his men and even commanding officers into the fire. In fact, he enjoys doing so.

Hellsing is certainly not high literature but it is a ton of fun.
  • The fights aren't supposed to be close and that is in fact a statement portrayed throughout the series and even stated by the people in the show. The Major has absolutely no illusions of being able to actually defeat Alucard which is why he relies on tricks such as baiting Alucard onto an aircraft carrier in the middle of the atlantic and he is quite content to simply throw his men and even commanding officers into the fire. In fact, he enjoys doing so.
    If that's the kind of action you think is fun, then Hokuto no Ken is a much better choice. Instead of one impossibly powerful dude, there's maybe a handful. Every time some normal shmuck thinks he's on the same level as Kenshiro or Raoh, the results are are hilarious. The joke never gets old.
  • The fights aren't supposed to be close and that is in fact a statement portrayed throughout the series and even stated by the people in the show. The Major has absolutely no illusions of being able to actually defeat Alucard which is why he relies on tricks such as baiting Alucard onto an aircraft carrier in the middle of the atlantic and he is quite content to simply throw his men and even commanding officers into the fire. In fact, he enjoys doing so.
    If that's the kind of action you think is fun, then Hokuto no Ken is a much better choice. Instead of one impossibly powerful dude, there's maybe a handful. Every time some normal shmuck thinks he's on the same level as Kenshiro or Raoh, the results are are hilarious. The joke never gets old.
    Second that.
  • edited February 2010
    The fights not being close is probably the least off a criticism. The fights aren't supposed to be close and that is in fact a statement portrayed throughout the series and even stated by the people in the show.
    That's not what I meant. This is what I meant:

Episode 1 - Hey, it's just like the first few few episodes of the TV show except with all the good parts missing and the vibe is all wrong :/
    Episode 2 - Still doesn't feel right, but that fight against the two brothers was pretty damn awesome :)
    Episode 3 - Holy crap, this is way worse than episode 1 was o.O
    Episode 4 - Yeah, I'm done with this show -_-
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • Episode 1 - Hey, it's just like the first few few episodes of the TV show except with all the good parts missing and the vibe is all wrong :/
    This is my problem with Ultimate, it's just setup all wrong.
  • edited February 2010
    Granted, I think the aesthetic of Hellsing is a big draw. I watched it because of its high contrast Gothic art and good sound track. The end of the TV series was total garbage, but the first disc I found mildly enjoyable.
    It's more spooky-spooky zombies and Hokuto no Ken is more Mad Max.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • It's been awhile but I seem to remember the fight between Hellsing and Alexander Anderson in the TV series being pretty awesome. I also really like a lot of the music from the series.
  • I'm probably gonna watch FLCL again in a couple of days
    Good man.
    Good man.
    I found a copy of the 3rd DVD today. That's all I needed.
  • I borrowed an Initial D box set from one of my friends a while back and have been watching that off and on. Up to episode 9 so far.
  • I borrowed an Initial D box set from one of my friends a while back and have been watching that off and on. Up to episode 9 so far.
    WATCH EVERYTHING NOW.
  • just marathoned FLCL. It was awsome as always. I'm going to again in a couple weeks when my girlfriend is home for spring break.

next I'm probably gonna watch Now and Then, Here and There again. I watched it on Sci-Fi and picked up the box set a week or two ago and haven't opened it.

I also might watch FMA again.
  • All of 80's Astro Boy is now on my laptop. I can finally check it out after all the talking up of it by Rym and Scott.
  • So, I'm a 93-99 anime kid. What really got me into was dubbed Ranma 1/2 up to Hard Battle, Sci-Fi movies (still in love with the Project A-ko fight music), GUyver, and Blue Seed. Which is better than Evangelion. Period. Ok, bias aside. Currently I'm more into manga. High School Battle style. Medaka Box, Tenjo Tenge, Air Gear, etc and so forth. I also have a meta sense of humor. So, any ideas on what's new and worth watching? Oh, don't mention Higurashi or anything from Shounen Jump. I see the market, just have lost the ability to quickly discern content.
  • Some good shows from the Past few years that I think are good (but I haven't finished)

Eden of the East
    MIchiko and Hatchin
    Durara
    Baccano

Cobra - Maybe you might like it? It's a remake of an old-school show.
  • Those are good, I also liked:

Darker than Black
    Haruhi
    Kurenai
    Scrapped Princess

That's all I got off the top of my head.
  • Scrapped Princess
    That was when I was a freshman in college! That's really old!