This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Don't be dicks to eachother

RymRym
edited March 2010 in Forum Stuff
In just the past two weeks, we have received more complaints by forumites about other forumites, for lack of a better term, being dicks to one another, than in the previous several years combined. The complaints have revolved primarily around a certain number of individuals. I would assume that these individuals can guess that they are the ones to whom I am referring.

We have very few rules in this forum, and this is by design. However, if it turns out that you require further rules in order to behave, this will be considered.

Set your own lines, or we will set them for you.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Discrimination against over-sized dirigible blue phalli.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited March 2010
    Also, if someone is being a dick, just don't read their posts. It's that simple. I read less than half the threads in this forum. Of the threads I do read, I read less than half the posts. Of the long posts I read, I rarely, if ever, read them in entirety.

It's not like someone is making harassing phone calls that you can't ignore. You have a scroll wheel, just go past it. If you do happen to read a shitty post, at the very least don't reply to it. In the age of the Internet, if you don't have the power to ignore things that suck, you will have a very difficult life.

That being said, do not ignore any of my posts, or you will be made to suffer for it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Also, if someone is being a dick, just don't read their posts. It's that simple. I read less than half the threads in this forum. Of the threads I do read, I read less than half the posts. Of the long posts I read, I rarely, if ever, read them in entirety.

It's not like someone is making harassing phone calls that you can't ignore. You have a scroll wheel, just go past it. If you do happen to read a shitty post, at the very least don't reply to it. In the age of the Internet, if you don't have the power to ignore things that suck, you will have a very difficult life.
    Yes, because your going to realize that someone is posting a bitchy thing before you read it....
  • Yes, because your going to realize that someone is posting a bitchy thing before you read it....
    You only have to read one word, the name "Cremlian" at the top.
  • I am choosing to ignore any posts by Apreche :-p
  • Also, if someone is being a dick, just don't read their posts. It's that simple. I read less than half the threads in this forum. Of the threads I do read, I read less than half the posts. Of the long posts I read, I rarely, if ever, read them in entirety.

That being said,do notignore any of my posts, or you will be made to suffer for it.
    So you're suggesting that people do the opposite of what the last monday show told them to do? :P
  • edited March 2010
    Also, if someone is being a dick, just don't read their posts.
    But while I scroll past it, it enters into my eyes and makes me cry!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • So you're suggesting that people do the opposite of what the last monday show told them to do? :P
    Posts != error messages.
  • So you're suggesting that people do the opposite of what the last monday show told them to do? :P
    Posts != error messages.
    I know. I'm just being a... Hmm, what's the word. Probably something to do with the male reproductive system...
  • Posts != error messages.
    Still if you start ignoring posts you might miss a statement buried in an asshole statement that could be a warning or important information.
  • Can I still dick your mom? Is that allowed?

Yes, Scott is right in that you need to be able to ignore posts, but this is also the Internet, where I can shove things in your face if I really want to. Thus, the responsibility is two-fold:

1. Don't be a dick
    2. If someone is being a dick to you, do your best to ignore them.

When a situation precipitates despite following those two rules, intervention is required.
  • but this is also the Internet, where I can shove things in your face if I really want to
    Uh no? This is the Internet where everything is pull instead of push.

If it's telephones, or letters in the snail mail, then people can shove things in your face. If it's the Internet, then people can't shove things in your face. You chose what to take to your face. You can block spam with a spam filter. You can block ads. You can not click that clink. You can press the back button a rickroll. You can mute the volume. You can turn off the monitor. You are in complete control.

But you're no, because there's no free will.

• But you're no, because there's no free will.
    Yea, I have to read your post because it's been predetermined.....
  • ...people can't shove things in your face. You chose what to take to your face...
    All those swinging cocks on Chat Roulette beg to differ.
    Can I still dick your mom? Is that allowed?
    Stop trying to be a Dick. You Twat!
  • Uh no? This is the Internet where everything is pull instead of push.
    OK, so when Nine changed his avatar to that incredibly obnoxious flashing mushroom, it didn't show up at all? Bullshit. You had to actively block it. The obnoxious image was thrust in your face first. Let's not forget the fine art of getting someone to click a link to some awesome website, but no, it's really goatse. Pressing the back button on a Rickroll is fine, but you still got Rickroll'd. No, the internet is not entirely pull; people are constantly finding new ways to push.
  • All those swinging cocks on Chat Roulette beg to differ.
    Don't go to ChatRoulette.
  • I understand what Scott is saying, we really should just ignore jerky posts. But it is obnoxious that certain users on this forum go out of their way to insult and deride anyone else who posts, essentially. We should still ignore their posts, but I think it is very simple that these same people should be therefore ignoring the posts of all the people they would otherwise be a dick to. Seriously. If you don't like what someone posts, don't respond to it. This goes for everyone, dicks and non-dicks alike.
  • It's that simple. I read less than half the threads in this forum. Of the threads I do read, I read less than half the posts. Of the long posts I read, I rarely, if ever, read them in entirety.
    This. This to such an extreme that I didn't even know there was a dickery problem until I read this thread.
  • This to such an extreme that I didn't even know there was a dickery problem until I read this thread.
    Recently, I've been getting a large number of PMs regarding these sorts of issues. I think the average dickishness in the forum has increased substantially in the last several months.
  • This. This to such an extreme that I didn't even know there was a dickery problem until I read this thread.
    If only we could label the thread that has turned into deep dicking with a label so I don't look at the puppy thread and wonder how that became a flamewar....
  • This to such an extreme that I didn't even know there was a dickery problem until I read this thread.
    Recently, I've been getting a large number of PMs regarding these sorts of issues. I think the average dickishness in the forum has increased substantially in the last several months.
    Is there any other solution to this problem other than ignoring posts that are just jerky?
  • Is there any other solution to this problem other than ignoring posts that are just jerky?
    Jerks should make an effort to be less jerky as well.
  • Jerks should make an effort to be less jerky as well.
    If this gets sufficiently problematic, I'll simply post statistics on who has generated the most complaints.
  • Jerks should make an effort to be less jerky as well.
    If this gets sufficiently problematic, I'll simply post statistics on who has generated the most complaints.
    Define "sufficiently problematic"? This is just my opinion, but I feel it's already sufficiently problematic to warrant this course of action.
  • If this gets sufficiently problematic, I'll simply post statistics on who has generated the most complaints.
    That sounds highly interesting.
  • If this gets sufficiently problematic, I'll simply post statistics on who has generated the most complaints.
    That sounds highly interesting.
    I really hope this doesn't turn it into a competition for you. :P
  • I really hope this doesn't turn it into a competition for you. :P
    Nah. It just sounds interesting, more so due to the use of plural forms.
  • edited March 2010
    Actually, I'm rather interested in dickishness stats myself. They should be made public.
    Mind you, in addition to those on the giving end, there's people on the forum who can enjoy being on the receiving end of a good dicking.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Actually, I'm rather interested in dickishness stats myself. They should be made public.
    Mind you, in addition to those on the giving end, there's people on the forum who can enjoy being on the receiving end of a good dicking.
    HA. HA. YOU'RE SO CLEVER.