This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

National Get Wasted Day

Anyone have any plans for today, I sadly have work and a cold so I'll be sitting today out.

Comments

• I shall be blasting the traditional Dropkick Murphys/Flogging Molly/The Fisticuffs/Filthy Thieving Bastards
  • I will be avoiding the drunken, yelling idiots who are clogging the streets outside of work. I will then lock myself indoors until the mayhem has ended.

I literally tripped over a passed out guy walking out of Starbucks around 11:30. He'd passed out and vomited all over himself just outside the door. Nearby, the police were writing citations for underage drinking and open containers to a crowd of at least twenty. There was vomit all over the place. And the yelling. "Woooo! Whoooooooo!" Frat parties were never nearly so annoying as this holiday.
  • Yeah, I'm not sure what it is about this day that makes people think their alcohol tolerance has vastly improved. :P
  • Yeah, I'm not sure what it is about this day that makes people think their alcohol tolerance has vastly improved. :P
    They don't think their tolerance is up. They knowingly and willingly get vomiting drunk with the holiday as an excuse. I could have biked to work today, but because of this holiday, it will have to wait.
  • Even though they're Finnish and not Irish, I feel like Korpiklaani is very appropriate.
  • They don't think their tolerance is up. They knowingly and willingly get vomiting drunk with the holiday as an excuse.
    I don't think anyone gets vomit-inducing-drunk on purpose. ~_^
  • I don't think anyone gets vomit-inducing-drunk on purpose. ~_^
    Come check out the sidewalk outside my building.
  • I don't think anyone gets vomit-inducing-drunk on purpose. ~_^
    Clearly, you do not live in a college town. Many frat boys pride themselves on their vomiting abilities. Really. Really.

I don't know if it'll be that bad in Albany. We always have Parade Day the weekend before St. Patrick's Day, and most people use that day as their "get really fucking wasted" day. I mean, it's a weekday. I have shit to do tomorrow.

However, this will not stop me from having a couple of beers and perhaps some corned beef.
  • Happy Birthday, to me.
  • I don't drink, I'm not Irish, and I'm not religious. Therefore, I do not really celebrate St. Patrick's Day. The only thing I'm doing today that is remotely in the spirit is watching the Departed and the Boondock Saints.
  • I realize that I actually celebrate relatively few holidays.
  • Forget the drinking! I was pinched nearly 20 times today! I had to steal a green streamer from some activism booth and wrap it around my arm like a tourniquet.

The good thing, though, was, amid the pinching, a cute girl pinched my ass. I gave her my card with a wink and a smile. ^_^
  • I realize that I actually celebrate relatively few holidays.
    This is why we have invented our own holidays. Also, it is why I stick with Jewish holidays, despite atheism. And also, let us consider conventions to be holidays.
  • I gave her my card with a wink and a smile. ^_^
    Well played sir.
  • Forget the drinking! I was pinched nearly 20 times today! I had to steal a green streamer from some activism booth and wrap it around my arm like a tourniquet.
    We don't pinch people here in Albany. We throw beer on them. True story.
  • RE: music:

Nuri got me into a band called Enter the Haggis by way of this song:

I actually remember seeing these guys live once back during a Celtic festival in Albany, but I didn't really listen until that song up there. It's now one of my favorite things ever.
  • I didn't even realize it was St. Patrick's day, and I got halfway down the thread before I realized that it wasn't actually "National Get Wasted Day", on par with "Talk Like a Pirate Day", or "National Day of Slayer".
  • Really.Really.
    Really?
  • edited March 2010
    UIUC has three St. Patrick's Days. Three. The first two are one giant two-day Bacchanal, Unofficial St. Patrick's Day, that was started as a way for bars to get mad moneys when St. Pat's was over our Spring Break. It started as one day, and slowly expanded to two as the bars tried to amp it up more and people started seeing how far one day of drinking could keep them drunk into the next day. Then, our break moved so that St. Patrick's Day was a school day. Instead of curbing Unofficial, people just started drinking more (on both holidays). Today will be pretty crazy, but on Unofficial traffic literally stops and the streets are a sea of green. I saw a girl drunk, at 7 in the morning, stumbling with a mug of hard liquor that day.

It's similar to how Chicago used to have St. Pat's and the Southside Irish Parade. The SIP was basically Chicago's Unofficial, but with violent brawls as a bonus.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I gave her my card with a wink and a smile. ^_^
    Well played sir.
    Yeah. I might order some of those calling cards you guys suggested a while back.
  • I probably won't be leaving the apartment today. I have a lot of work to catch up on, and meetings in the morning. I will, however, be enjoying a Guinness or two when I'm making dinner.