This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX Prime 2010

edited April 2010 in Conventions
Registration is up. $55 for the weekend of awesome during Labor Day. Come. Stay an extra day. We'll hang out.

Jeremy and will more than likely be Enforcing again. We'll be taking on The Black and having a great time.

Comments

• Or the Blue, or whatever color it is, but most likely not Black (which saddens me, but is above my pay grade)
  • Or the Blue, or whatever color it is, but most likely not Black (which saddens me, but is above my pay grade)
    I would like blue. I really never cared for black shirts.
  • Also, for those traveling to Seattle, the Link Light Rail is active. For $2.50 you can take a 37 min ride from the airport to Westlake Center, which is 2 blocks away from the convention. It's also the place of the best food court in the world. ^_~

FYI
  • I said this on facebook, but I will be making every effort to save up money so I can attend PAX Prime this year; Including skipping Anime Expo and dipping into some of this semesters tuition dispersement.
  • Also, for those traveling to Seattle,the Link Light Rail is active.For $2.50 you can take a 37 min ride from the airport to Westlake Center, which is 2 blocks away from the convention. It's also the place of the best food court in the world. ^_~

FYI
    It certainly beats the bus. And way way cheaper than a taxi.
  • I was thinking, for those of us who are bereft of cash, maybe couch surfing would be an option?

Pros:
      Free!
      Chance to make new friends in a foreign land.
      A new experience!
    Cons:
      You are sleeping on a strangers couch,
      You can't come and go as you please.
      Will be farther than any hotel.
  • I was thinking, for those of us who are bereft of cash, maybecouch surfingwould be an option?
    Huh, didn't know a service like that existed, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. On the topic though, I live about 15 minutes away from the convention center by foot, and I have a couch.
  • I've heard some kind of iffy stuff about that site. I can't remember what, though.
  • Couchsurfing.org, at my last look at it, works on a post-experience feedback system. The glaring hole there is that if you get killed in your sleep on said surfed couch, you aren't able to report it and the next victim walks into the loving arms of the sofa bed killer! Oh noes!

Back on topic... I am locked and ready for PAX Prime. My only questions are....

1) Having never been to the Pacific Northwest but knowing it's probably a region I'm going to love (I love cold and rainy weather), are there are spots in or near Seattle that I simply MUST see?

2) If so, how much extra time should I set aside for this? Just trying to get some research done before I lock in hotels and airfares and whatnots...
  • are there are spots in or near Seattle that I simply MUST see?
    Top Pot Donuts.
  • 1) Having never been to the Pacific Northwest but knowing it's probably a region I'm going to love (I love cold and rainy weather), are there are spots in or near Seattle that I simply MUST see?
    Top Pot Donuts. The silly tower and its adjacent scifi museum. PAX...
  • Haha I love how Rym AND Scott both posted within a minute of each other. Noted, sirs. Noted.
  • 1) Having never been to the Pacific Northwest but knowing it's probably a region I'm going to love (I love cold and rainy weather), are there are spots in or near Seattle that I simply MUST see?
    Pike's Place Market to walk around and go to various stores. Make sure you get some fresh humbow one fine morning. I forget the name of the store, but it's there. The market is about 5 blocks down the street of the convention center. Just go towards the water.

2) If so, how much extra time should I set aside for this? Just trying to get some research done before I lock in hotels and airfares and whatnots..
    Come in early Friday take the monorail from the airport to Westlake, and stay till late Monday/early Tuesday so you can go around Seattle on Labor Day to check out the city.
  • Haha I love how Rym AND Scott both posted within a minute of each other. Noted, sirs. Noted.
    I love how the most impressive thing we have in Seattle is a donut shop.
  • I love how the most impressive thing we have in Seattle is a donut shop.
    I found that funny too. It's too bad there isn't a Dick's Burger close to the convention center.
  • I love how the most impressive thing we have in Seattle is a donut shop.
    I found that funny too. It's too bad there isn't a Dick's Burger close to the convention center.
    True. Closest one is up Pike to Broadway, which is about a mile or so.
  • While my budget isn't unlimited, I can give a lot of extra time to see sites. I want to be efficient, of course. I'd LOVE to be able to see a Seahawks game but that would require stepping away from PAX or waiting a whole week. ARG!

What is this Dicks Burger you speak of? Is one withing walking/cab distance from the Convention Center?

@ theknoxinator - I'm sorry to be the bearer of this but all places are reduced down to one trait for simplicity. Living in Orange County, California I have to bear a never ending stream of "Oh, that's where Disneyland is!" or "That's basically LA, right?". Highly annoying. I'd be impressed that the boys didn't just say to get coffee or something. =D
  • edited April 2010
    What is this Dicks Burger you speak of? Is one withing walking/cab distance from the Convention Center?
    You can take the city bus. It's free. It's not too far, but uphill from the convention center. Dick's Drive-In is a famous burger place in Seattle. It has several locations for cheap delicious burgers.

The only noteworthy thing I can think about for Dick's is the line in Sir Mix-a-Lot's song "My Posse's on Broadway":

Now the posse's gettin' hungry, and Mix-a-Lot's treatin'--
    we stopped at Taco Bell, for some Mexican eatin'--
    but Taco Bell was closed, and the girls was on my tip--
    they said, "Go back the other way, we'll stop and eat at Dick's"--
    Dick's is the place where the crew hang out--
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Ah, Ro. The song you just incited in my head..... Deliberate (but temporary) thread hijack!

• Living in Orange County, California I have to bear a never ending stream of ... "That's basically LA, right?".
    If only that were true.
  • As soon as I get paid this week, I'm buying my badge. No turning back now!
  • What is this Dicks Burger you speak of? Is one withing walking/cab distance from the Convention Center?
    You can take the city bus. It's free. It's not too far, but uphill from the convention center. Dick's Drive-In is a famous burger place in Seattle. It has several locations for cheap delicious burgers.
    Actually, Broadway is outside the free ride zone, so a bus would cost money each way. It's a 15 minute walk at a leisurely pace from the convention center. Not exactly the shortest walk considering how much stuff is around the center itself, but I know plenty of people that will drive for miles on a whim just to get those burgers.
  • GeoGeo
    edited April 2010
    I woke up today and played some Sonic CD today and I heard the epic Sonic Boom song, and this little idea hatched inside my head. Why don't the PAX people hire the people responsible for that to sing at one of the concerts? Well, I actually found out who they were and found that they still sing, have a website, and can be hired.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Jerry mentioned getting Yahtzee to do a keynote. If they get him for Prime, I don't think I could be held responsible for my actions.
  • Jerry mentioned getting Yahtzee to do a keynote. If they get him for Prime, I don't think I could be held responsible for my actions.
    I don't think Yahtzee will do a great keynote. What we really need are more game developers.

My pick is Sid Meier at PAX West this year to coincide with the release of Civ V.
  • edited April 2010
    Jerry mentioned getting Yahtzee to do a keynote. If they get him for Prime, I don't think I could be held responsible for my actions.
    And in two months, I'll be seeing him probably about once a week.
    I don't think Yahtzee will do a great keynote. What we really need are more game developers.
    Actually, I don't think you're right here. I've seen him speak and spoken to him in situations other than watching Zero Punctuation videos, and he's a thoughtful, witty, and intelligent guy. He'd do a bloody good keynote, I'd wager.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I don't think Yahtzee will do a great keynote. What we really need are more game developers.
    Actually, I don't think you're right here. I've seen him speak and spoken to him in situations other than watching Zero Punctuation videos, and he's a thoughtful, witty, and intelligent guy. He'd do a bloody good keynote, I'd wager.
    It would interesting to know what he would actually talk about. All people know him for is shitting on games. Either way, if and when he delivers one, I will travel as far as necessary to see it (of course if it is at PAX Prime, that's not very far for me).
  • edited April 2010
    All people know him for is shitting on games
    That's the thing, though - He's not, really. I've yet to see a ZP where he hasn't made mostly valid points, of course, the last of them being opinion and relative. It's just that we inhabit a landscape of gaming where apparently, if you're not throwing yourself down on the floor to give everyone who so much as beta-tested the game a particularly adoring blowjob, that makes you a "Hater" and you're "Shitting on the game."
    Dude loves games, it's just that he recognises that because he enjoys a game, doesn't mean it's entirely or absolutely good, and he's particularly good at seeing the flaws in games, while not letting it get in the way of his enjoyment. I mean, shit, I've heard him rip into his own games more than once before.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I had a random thought while watching "Weeds" last night. What about some sort of FRC flash mob at PAX Prime? Eh? Eh?
  • I had a random thought while watching "Weeds" last night. What about some sort of FRC flash mob at PAX Prime? Eh? Eh?
    You mean FRC+FRCF right? Anyhow, How many of us are even going to be there?