This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

That Fucking Volcano

edited April 2010 in Everything Else
I just looked up the Eyjafjallajökull volcano, and realized that Pola and I visited it in 2007:

In this truck:

Meanwhile I'm staying with friends in Istanbul until... well, I don't know. My next gig is on Wednesday, in the south of Spain, so I hope I can just fly straight there. There's a place near Malaga I've wanted to visit for ages, but last time I was there I had a really bad back and didn't feel like it.

Comments

• My friends are also getting screwed by the Volcano. The English department at our school was having a London trip, and it looks like it will get canceled because of the ash cloud. They all just got screwed out of their plane tickets.
  • Eyjafjallajokull demands respect and careful spelling.
  • edited April 2010
    Personally, I think the volcano is pretty awesome. Fuck'n melted rocks spewing out of the ground, hell yeah! Some Icelandic metal band should go make a music video with the volcano behind them. It seems like nobody has actually been killed by the volcano. Thanks to geology, we knew it was coming and could avoid it. At the same time, look how weak us puny humans are. We can go to the moon, but we can't stop fire coming out of the ground.

As for people inconvenience by flight cancellations cry me a river.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • wtf
    You should be get on your knees and lick the Wright Brother's shoes clean in thanks that we can even achieve the miracle of flight, and nobody really has any room to complain that this miracle is not available to a portion of the world for a limited time.
  • It is pretty awesome if you take a view that is completely disconnected from any trouble caused by the eruption. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure you'd be singin' a different tune if your major travel plans were completely ruined.
  • edited April 2010
    You should be get on your knees and lick the Wright Brother's shoes clean in thanks that we can even achieve the miracle of flight
    Ah, Actually, powered flight was invented by An Australian guy called Lawrence Hargrave in 1894, who the Wright brothers corresponded and consulted with on the topic, and without his assistance, would probably have never been able to design or build the Wright Glider.

Same dude invented the Box kite, and invented a rotary engine in 1889.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Ah, Actually, powered flight was invented by An Australian guy called Lawrence Hargrave in 1894, who the Wright brothers corresponded and consulted with on the topic, and without his assistance, would probably have never been able to design or build the Wright Glider.

Same dude invented the Box kite, and invented a rotary engine in 1889.
    I know. The point here is not to discuss who actually invented flight, but that it is a miracle regardless of who did it first.
    On the other hand, I'm pretty sure you'd be singin' a different tune if your major travel plans were completely ruined.
    If it were somewhere I really need to go, like PAX, I would start the driving, training, and boating right away.
  • I know. The point here is not to discuss who actually invented flight, but that it is a miracle regardless of who did it first.
    Just wouldn't want you to be licking the wrong set of shoes clean in thanks, Scott.
  • On the other hand, I'm pretty sure you'd be singin' a different tune if your major travel plans were completely ruined.
    If it were somewhere I really need to go, like PAX, I would start the driving, training, and boating right away.
    Okay, yes. We should all be grateful. It still sucks. And the alternative options aren't really available for my friends, so it does suck. They do have a right to complain, because it does suck that they don't get to travel. That article was right in that we shouldn't be critical of the stupid annoyances of plane rides given how amazing it is that we're flying, but being stopped from traveling on a major trip, which for most of these kids is the last chance they'll get to go to London for several years as they all head off to College and become saddled with debt and the like, still sucks.
  • wtf
    You should be get on your knees and lick the Wright Brother's shoes clean in thanks that we can even achieve the miracle of flight, and nobody really has any room to complain that this miracle is not available to a portion of the world for a limited time.
    Actually, Scott, people DO have a right to complain because they are stuck in a foreign countries and running out of money. This also is severely hurting many industries that rely on flight for transportation of supplies and workers. Seriously, Scott, jut because a technology is fantastic, doesn't mean it is without flaws (both within itself and how it is distributed/implemented) or that people don't have a right to complain about that technology. You complain about technology encountering issues or being limited all the time. To say that these people aren't suffering from this and that they have no right to complain shows a lack of basic compassion and a fair bit of hypocrisy.
  • and a fair bit of hypocrisy.
    For sure. It's not like you've never complained about a piece of technology before.
  • On the one hand, complaining will achieve nothing in this situation. On the other hand, it's part of being human, and we should always have the right to complain.
  • wtf
    Ignoratio elenchi.
  • and we should always have the right to complain.
    I wouldn't go that far.
  • and we should always have the right to complain.
    I wouldn't go that far.
    You always have the right. But that never means your complaints are always valid or will be paid attention to.
  • That may be technically true, but there are many situations in which you'd be a total asshole if you complained.
  • That may be technically true, but there are many situations in which you'd be a total asshole if you complained.
    Definitely.
    The point is that you have a right to be an asshole.
  • The point is that you have a right to be an asshole.
    I may not like jerkasses, but I will defend to the death your right to be one.
  • Actually, Scott, people DO have a right to complain because they are stuck in a foreign countries and running out of money. This also is severely hurting many industries that rely on flight for transportation of supplies and workers. Seriously, Scott, jut because a technology is fantastic, doesn't mean it is without flaws (both within itself and how it is distributed/implemented) or that people don't have a right to complain about that technology. You complain about technology encountering issues or being limited all the time. To say that these people aren't suffering from this and that they have no right to complain shows a lack of basic compassion and a fair bit of hypocrisy.
    Yes, people are suffering. Boo hoo some kids are going to miss a field trip. Boo hoo someone has to lose some money and spend a few extra nights in a hotel. All of that is absolutely insignificant compared to the grandeur and majesty of the natural wonder of a volcano or the miraculous achievement of flying machines.

The problem here is not that flight is disrupted, that technology is imperfect, or that many people are minorly inconvenienced. The only problem is that people take these things for granted. It is a good thing when something like this happens, as it hopefully gives people a chance to stop, think, and realize just what is going on.

"*whine* I want to go halfway around the world in a matter of hours, and I can't!"

The only response to that is a slap to the face followed by a STFU.
  • edited April 2010
    The only response to that is a slap to the face followed by a STFU.
    What a coincidence, matter of fact, I've been having thoughts of that same reaction myself.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • So how are we going to tax Iceland for their massive carbon emissions last week?
  • edited April 2010
    Yes, people are suffering. Boo hoo some kids are going to miss a field trip. Boo hoo someone has to lose some money and spend a few extra nights in a hotel. All of that is absolutely insignificant compared to the grandeur and majesty of the natural wonder of a volcano or the miraculous achievement of flying machines.
    Yes, but the ability of man to fly and the existence of volcanoes are absolutely irrelevant to the argument that people should not be complaining about the volcano. The truth of the matter is that those are only reasons to be irritated by people who complain about it. The fact remains that people most definitely have room to complain about their misfortunes (freedom of speech) regardless of the circumstances, and that saying "only response to that is a slap to the face followed by a STFU" is an irrelevant and illogical conclusion.

The Mona Lisa is a miraculous achievement. So are the Pyramids. If I say "Man, monetary constraints prohibit me from visiting these wonders! I really wish I could see them and enjoy them as intended," who the fuck would slap me and tell me off for that?
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • The problem here is not that flight is disrupted, that technology is imperfect, or that many people are minorly inconvenienced. The only problem is that people take these things for granted. It is a good thing when something like this happens, as it hopefully gives people a chance to stop, think, and realize just what is going on.
    And to realize how woefully unprepared they are for the oncoming zombie epidemic.
  • Yes, but the ability of man to fly and the existence of volcanoes are absolutely irrelevant to the argument that people should not be complaining about the volcano. The truth of the matter is that those are only reasons to be irritated by people who complain about it. The fact remains that people most definitely have room to complain about their misfortunes (freedom of speech) regardless of the circumstances, and that saying "only response to that is a slap to the face followed by a STFU" is an irrelevant and illogical conclusion.
    This is something that often comes up. People think that because they have a right to do something, then it's totally ok for them to do it. Yes, people should have lots of rights, including the right to do stupid things. Just because you have a right to do something, doesn't make it any less stupid.
  • edited April 2010
    You complain about technology encountering issues or being limited all the time. To say that these people aren't suffering from this and that they have no right to complain shows a lack of basic compassion and a fair bit of hypocrisy.
    I missed this before, However, it should be added for further emphasis to the point of hypocrisy - how many times on the podcast have we heard at lengthy rant because Scott has been Inconvenienced even slightly - That guy honking his horn outside Scott's apartment, St Patricks day, etc, etc.

That aside, we all know what's happening here, and it's hardly the first time it's happened. Scott is saying "No, I'm Right, It's My way or you're stupid", and we're saying "No, Scott, you're being a jackass, and here's why." and nobody is going to bend on their position, because in our view, Scott's arguments only apply in Bizzaro-Scott-world, as opposed to the general consensus of what most would call reality, and we can make the justified assumption based on previous behaviour that if he were in the situation of those he's saying are behaving stupidly by complaining, he'd be complaining louder, longer, and harder than anyone else, and Scott because, Well, When has Scott EVER conceded an argument without having to have been beaten over the head with three and three-quarter tonne of concrete, absolutely, 100% indisputable(No matter how ridiculous the dispute may be) evidence?

Essentially, it has devolved into a verbose version of what is essentially -
    10 Print "Scott, You're being a jackass, and here's why we think so."
    20 Print "Nuh-Uh, You're being stupid, and here's why I think so"
    30 Print "Yuh-Uh, You're being a jackass, and here's why we think so."
    40 Goto 20

So, can we just stop now? I mean, I'm looking forward to Scott putting forward 15 different versions of the Historian's Fallacy, with 20 different versions of "No, You're being a jackass, and here's why we think that" as much as anyone, but really, is it necessary? None of us are new enough to think this discussion is going to bear any worthwhile fruit, after all, so why must we fertilise the tree with another heaping of bullshit?
    Jesus christ we're in trouble when I'm the one being the voice of calm and reason.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited April 2010
    Yes, people should have lots of rights, including the right to do stupid things. Just because you have a right to do something, doesn't make it any less stupid.
    Absolutely. I do not take issue with this at all. However, you said, "nobody really has any room to complain that this miracle is not available to a portion of the world for a limited time." I would argue that they absolutely do, while we logical people absolutely have the right to point out that, in the grand scheme of things, flight delays are far better than the alternative of a world without flight.

20 GOTO Churba
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Churba=winner of time and space.
  • Play this debate out, Keyboard Cat.