This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone Apps

edited July 2008 in Technology
For those who have, or are thinking of getting the iPhone, I decided to start a thread of "useful" apps for the phone. They can be games or meant for business. Post whatever apps you might think the rest of us would enjoy that you've come across.

That being said when posting the app please include: the iTunes link (just drag and drop from iTunes bar over to the thread), the category (games, business, etc) the price, and any comments/images you think might be relevant.

What apps have you found that you think we might enjoy?

Comments

• edited July 2008
    Mocha VNC Lite
    Links: iTunes & Website
    Category: Business
    Cost: Free
    Random thoughts: Some in my company already are using this. It allows a VNC to your servers. The lite version only supports left tap, zoom, 1 keyboard and has some other limitations, but allows use. The full version ($5.99)allows for full mouse functionality as well as other features. However it's not yet available. The specs are shown though on the website for the full version. This could be addictive for those that deal with servers on a regular basis.
    imageimage

This was the app that spurred this discussion. The lite version was released today.
    Post edited by Tasel on
  • I saw that you can purchase the apps ability for the iPod Touch today for $10 (U.S). The only app I have seen so far that seems interesting is the Pandora.com app.
  • Not an app for the iPhone, but iRinger is a free program for Windows that makes iPhone ringtones and automatically adds them to your library. I went crazy making rings yesterday.

Now for some actual apps I've been using, all free:
    AIM
    Facebook
    Nearby - See something interesting, mark it on the map, and take a picture for others to find.
    Pandora
    Showtimes - Movie times
    TapTheBeat - Helpful tool for finding a bpm for songs.
    iProcrastinate - Very well done task organizer.
    Tides - Tide charts, most of you won't find this useful or interesting
    TouchCalc - Scientific calculator
    UrbanSpoon - Find somewhere to eat!
    Flashlight - Simple program with multiple applications
    Jott - Speech to text converter, works very well
    Karaja Beginner - Musical ear trainer. I'll probably pay for the full version since it's so well done.
    WritingPad - One-stroke typing
  • edited August 2008
    SimplifyMedia (free) - Remote access to your computer's music files. Really easy to set up and organizes it all surprisingly well. Takes a bit to load, but after that the whole thing is seamless. You can also add up to 30 computers.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • TouchCalc - Scientific calculator
    Why? The phone already has a scientific calculator.
  • Why? The phone already has a scientific calculator.
    Haha, what? My default Calculator application is just a basic four function calculator. I see no log or cos buttons.
  • Haha, what? My default Calculator application is just a basic four function calculator. I see no log or cos buttons.
    I think if you tap it or turn it a certain way, it changes. At least that is what I think my friend did on his.
  • Why? The phone already has a scientific calculator.
    Haha, what? My default Calculator application is just a basic four function calculator. I see no log or cos buttons.
    Turn your iPhone sideways genius.
  • Turn your iPhone sideways genius.
    Hey, don't insult me. It's not exactly obvious, you know.
  • Turn your iPhone sideways genius.
    Hey, don't insult me. It's not exactly obvious, you know.
    I didn't insult you, I called you a genius.

Also, the scientific calculator was a feature that was advertised extremely heavily.
  • Tee hee. Welcome back, Scott.

As far as apps go, the only killer apps are Mail, iCal, and Safari. Twinkle is pretty cool, as is Labyrinth (the marble game). Bloomberg is a well made app, but I don't have enough stock in the market to require it. Units is a good paid app, very simple. I haven't found a good ToDo list yet...

Those are the only apps I use on a regular basis. Of course, iPint is always hilarious.
  • I didn't insult you, I called you a genius.
    You forgot an important part in that sentence. You called him a genius, sarcastically. Which is basically insulting, implying that Sail's actually stupid.
  • edited August 2008
    I didn't insult you, I called you a genius.
    You forgot an important part in that sentence. You called him a genius, sarcastically. Which is basically insulting, implying that Sail's actually stupid.
    Way to explain the joke, genius.

EDIT: I'm also somewhat jealous of iPhone owners. Seems like a very nifty piece of tech. Perhaps one of these days I'll get one.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Way to explain the joke, genius.
    Did you forget that it was Scott who said it? n.~ As for the iPhone, one of my family members who I saw a few days ago had one (old version), those tilt sensors are really nifty.
  • I want one so bad, I couldn't find a job this summer so I can't afford one.
  • Programs I am using and enjoy.
    AIM- great use of unlimited internet, and non-unlimited texts. I just use this to talk to friends on their phones.
    Facebook- When I am bored and want to see what’s up in a friend's world.
    Google- self explanatory
    Weather bug (I know... I know, but it's really helpful on the iphone, and until someone can show me it's bad like the comp version then I'm keeping it)- weather, Doppler radar(not so great), and cameras around the world. Very good for weather.
    Pandora- I love me my pandora.com (sadly you can not delete stations, or maybe i'm just dumb)
    Stanza- Book reading program, can convert PDFs supposedly, I haven't done it yet. + free book down loads.
    Othello- Computer is easy to beet, but I have been known to lose on hard sometimes. (no multi player)

~All programs here are free~
  • edited September 2008
    I want to know where the video recording app for the iPhone is. One would have really come in handy today. Is there something about apps not being allowed to use the camera that I don't know about?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Programs I have on my iPhone

The Default Apps

Mobile Fotos: This is one of the best photo sharing apps I've ever seen. It just kicks the shit out of Darkside which I used to use.

ColorSplash: If you checked out the "What does everyone look like" thread today (December 26, 2009) you'll see a photo of myself. I used that app to make it. Basically, it drains all the color of a photo and you get to fill in whatever you want colored in.

iTipSmart: A very handy tip calculator that is of high quality. I royally suck at math so this and the regular calculator are lifesavers.

WordWeb: A very affordable and useful dictionary/thesaurus unlike those other ones which are just highway robbers.

Google: This is to access all my Google gadgets when I'm on the go and don't feel like getting the laptop I schlepp around with me. Also the speak search function is pretty useful.

Facebook: Obvious as to why this is useful.

Tweetie: I find that this is the best Twitter app out there. I know that Scrym prefers Tweetdeck (do they still prefer it?), but I found it kinda bleh.

Wordpress: I like this Wordpress app a lot as I can check my blog on the go and make changes when necessary.

IMDB: This app was recently released this month and it replaces the Flixster I was using previously.

Amazon: Do I need to say why it's useful.

Ebay: Same as above.

SoundHound: Very useful if I don't know the name of a song, but I know how it sounds. Sometimes it gives me the wrong song, but I attribute it to my laughable singing skills.

Yelp: A nifty and useful restaurant finder.

CityTransit: This will only be used if I go into NYC and need to know the subway.

xkcd: It's obvious why I use this one. It allows me to see the alt-text as well. Plus the menu design is much more convenient than the other xkcd app out there.

Coin Flip: On the surface it might be a useless app as you could use any coin to fill that purpose. But this is different in that you can use any coin from any country and make your own. I particularly love how you can use Harvey Dent's coin from The Dark Knight

The last ones are just for fun
    HAL 9000: I love freaking people out with this replica of the HAL 9000 computer.

Lightsaber: I think most of you can guess why this one sticks around on my iPhone.

STPhaser: Fun to play with if I'm in a Trekker mood.

Zippo Lighter: Do I need to say why this would be used.
  • edited December 2009
    Here are some useful and free apps that haven't been mentioned yet. Most of these are designed to work with other web sites or programs, so I recommend exploring those as well.

Netnewswire - An RSS reader app. Can sync with google reader, and supports sending to instapaper, email, and twitter.

Instapaper - "A simple tool to save web pages for reading later." Useful for when you find an interesting article/link, and want to save it to read later. The app will download a special, stripped copy of the web page for viewing on your device.

Dropbox - A pretty cool file sync/backup/versioning program. The app will let you view the latest version of any file stored in your dropbox folder, including microsoft office 2007 docs.

Evernote - Online document editor. Unlike Google Docs, the app lets you view and edit documents. In addition, the app supports voice and picture notes, as well as a powerful search function (can even find texts inside pictures)

Mint - A personal finance site that lets you view your finances (CC transactions, bank balances, trends, etc). The app shows some basic information about your accounts.

Lockbox - When you wanna keep some information under another layer of protection (passcode of "unlimited" length).

Remote Desktop Lite - Allows you to remote desktop into Windows machines with remote desktop server installed (any professional or better version of windows xp and later).

In addition, let me heavily recommend Stanza. It's basically the Amazon Kindle app, but much better (which is probably why Amazon bought them out). It supports bookmarks, annotations, even a semi-built-in dictionary (it uses the web to search). It's integrated well with a ton of free and paid bookstores, including Project Gutenberg.
    Post edited by urhereimnot on
  • edited December 2009
    Lockbox - When you wanna keep some information under another layer of protection (passcode of "unlimited" length).
    Except if they know which encryption scheme you used and use a dictionary attack.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Except if they know which encryption scheme you used and use a dictionary attack.
    Or a Rainbow Table attack...
  • Or a Rainbow Table attack...
    Or a sledgehammer attack.
  • This is a little off topic, but this made more sense instead of starting a new thread. For all of us that have iPhone plans here's a way to save an extra $30 a month without extending or incurring any additional fees starting Monday:

AT&T Rolls Out Cheaper Unlimited Plans, iPhone Monthly Rate Drops $30
  • Yeah, it's cheaper if you have unlimited voice and data. Too bad I don't have or want unlimited voice.

Don't they realize that there are a lot of people like me who want almost no voice whatsoever? I want unlimted voice + text with maybe 100 minutes of voice per month. Right now I have to pay $40 per month to get the smallest voice plan allowed, which is 450 minutes. I have thousands of rollover minutes, but who gives a fuck? I hardly use the voice. However, there is no option for me to get a smaller voice plan for maybe $10 or $15 a month. This is how they make so much fucking money, making you pay for voice minutes you never use.

I'm basically paying almost 50 cents per minute at this rate. It's ludicrous. The only smaller voice plan available is only allowed for senior citizens.
  • It would be nice to have a "no voice" plan. Or a pay as you use plan, even if it was at a premium. We have a family plan and we have thousands of rollover minutes from all the previous months. I think we're on the second or third smallest plan. Family plans "aren't allowed" to use the lowest plans.

I think for a bunch of people this will save some money. If you figure the second or third smallest plan ($60-$70 i think)+ the data (another $30) that will probably come to approximately $100, so might as well switch to the unlimited plan. I don't know the exact figures as my situation is a bit skewed form the norm, but overall I think this will be good for most users.
  • So here is the app I want:

Workout log
    *Initial ability test
    *customizable workout routines made of simple elements
    *chart reading of your log so you can see progress in each element
    *push reminders to work out

ALSO A GAME
    *Uses your initial ability to set goals
    *Gives you points as you work towards each goal
    *Level up!
    *Integrates with social networks to publish your achievements

Does an app like this exist, and if not who can I work with to make it? I want it, and we all know how much motivational leveling up/meaningless points can be. All of the current workout/fitness apps I have found are targeted at diet and losing weight OR don't have sufficient incentive/push reminders. I know there are games for the Wii and whatnot, but I want something I can track on my phone because (a) I don't like to work out in front of the TV and (b) the phone is portable.
  • Don't they realize that there are a lot of people like me who want almost no voice whatsoever? I want unlimted voice + text with maybe 100 minutes of voice per month.
    My $70/mo is all-inclusive from Sprint now, including unlimited data. But, before the change, it was $70/mo for unlimited everything EXCEPT voice (for which I got 450 minutes). Getting unlimited voice was an extra $30 or so, which I didn't pay.

The moral: Sprint is cheaper than everyone else.
  • So here is the app I want:

Workout log
    *Initial ability test
    *customizable workout routines made of simple elements
    *chart reading of your log so you can see progress in each element
    *push reminders to work out

ALSO A GAME
    *Uses your initial ability to set goals
    *Gives you points as you work towards each goal
    *Level up!
    *Integrates with social networks to publish your achievements

Does an app like this exist, and if not who can I work with to make it? I want it, and we all know how much motivational leveling up/meaningless points can be. All of the current workout/fitness apps I have found are targeted at diet and losing weight OR don't have sufficient incentive/push reminders. I know there are games for the Wii and whatnot, but I want something I can track on my phone because (a) I don't like to work out in front of the TV and (b) the phone is portable.
    I really like this idea. Doing a quick search, I couldn't find anything that was obviously built around a leveling system. When I have some more time, I'd be willing to collaborate on this.
  • Exercise quest? I'd give it a shot.
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, I couldn't find it after searching. Hence the post. Do we have any developers* on the forum? After my exams are over, I could assist with the content. I'm not a coder though, so like 95% of the work would be on someone else.

*EDIT: by developers, I specifically mean current or future iPhone app developers. Obviously there are programmers here.
    Post edited by Nuri on