This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ubuntu 10.04

edited April 2010 in Technology
It's out in a few days. As it's an LTS, more emphasis is put on stability than new features. Here are a few things I'm kinda stoked about:
  • No brown.
  • Apparently makes 9.10 look slow.
  • No stinkin' brown
  • Long Term Support version: Makes it easier to give to friends and family.
  • All the usual updates and kernel fixes.
  • 100% Less Brown.

Comments

• 100% Less Brown.
    While I love this new feature, unless it supports my Radeon 3650, it'll be no ubuntu for me.
  • 100% Less Brown.
    While I love this new feature, unless it supports my Radeon 3650, it'll be no ubuntu for me.
    lawl get nVidia
  • No brown.Apparently makes 9.10 look slow.No stinkin' brownLong Term Support version: Makes it easier to give to friends and family.All the usual updates and kernel fixes.100% Less Brown.
    I've already got the RC on my laptop. #2 is definitely true. It boots in like two seconds, and is definitely really really fast. I can actually leave the compiz on normal on my laptop with no problems. Ive got a Core solo and a crappy Intel integrated GPU, and it's no problem. I used to always have to turn compiz off.

As for the lack of brown, that's fine. I also like the new colors better. However, there is a problem. You see, all the ubuntu stuff is dark, but all the GTK apps aren't. The light gray of Firefox really makes a bad contrast with the dark of everything else. The default theme is nicer looking, but the fact that not every app integrates with it nicely you gets these clashes everywhere that suck.

Also, while the color is better, they switched from having X in the top right of the window to OSX-style. That is fail if you ask me.

I switched my entire laptop to industrial/tango theme. No brown, buttons in the right place, everything looks like it goes together.
  • edited April 2010
    100% Less Brown.
    lawl get nVidia
    That would be pretty hard considering the graphics card is part of my laptop's motherboard.
    Also, while the color is better, they switched from having X in the top right of the window to OSX-style. That is fail if you ask me.
    There's a tutorial on changing this already, I think.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 back on Saturday, installed in on my computer and everything when smoothly during the installation until I had to re-started. My computer just didn't want to boot up, I can run Ubuntu through cd to test but after installation it won't work anymore. My previous Ubuntu was 64 bit while this new one was 32 bit, I am wondering if I should download Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit and try it to see what happens.
  • That would be pretty hard considering the graphics cardis part of my laptop's motherboard.
    You should have thought about that before you bought the laptop.

It's kind of hilarious to me now when people have hardware that doesn't work in Linux. Their hardware support now is pretty insane. I'd actually say it's way better than Windows at this point. Even though there are a few things here and there that don't work, most things do. And when they do work, you don't have to go get a driver and install it or anything like that. It just works out of the box, no fiddling necessary. When I install Ubuntu on my laptop, I don't have to go get a single driver or update. Everything is working immediately. Not so for any version of Windows.

If you want to run Linux, you think about it before you buy hardware, not after. The answer used to be "grr Linux sucks for not supporting these things!" The answer now is "Don't buy those five weird video cards, or those two wireless cards, that don't work." Sticking with as many Intel and NVidia parts as possible, which you probably want to do anyway, is a really safe bet.
  • edited April 2010
    lawl get nVidia
    LOL! STFU! ^_^
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • he answer now is "Don't buy those five weird video cards, or those two wireless cards
    I happen to have one of those video cards on my netbook, but the problem is with intel, not ubuntu. I have the original dell mini 10 netbook, and the video drivers are these proprietary ones that seem to be a pain in the ass to install. It's not that it doesn't work great when there installed, because the ones with ubuntu preinstalled seem to run great. I have yet to get it installed on my computer and get it to run correctly. It just defaults to 800x576 which is practically unusable. I've tried to install the drivers, but I have never been successful. Does anybody know if there is a way to install 10.04 on a computer with the intel gma 500 gpu? I looked on the ubuntu support page and it said not current method exists, but would the old method work at all? I know in 9.10 they used the 9.04 driver before the new one was released. I really just want to get ubuntu running on this thing.
  • I can actually leave the compiz on normal on my laptop with no problems. Ive got a Core solo and a crappy Intel integrated GPU, and it's no problem. I used to always have to turn compiz off.
    What? Compiz has always run fine on my P4 dual-core+intel integrated graphics notebook. As long as you don't bother with such stupid crap like burning windows it's fine.
  • Wow.. from power button to desktop in under 40 seconds on my old laptop.. That's pretty phenomenal.
  • edited April 2010
    Perhaps I'll drag out my old as dirt laptop and give this a go.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited April 2010
    On an SSD drive it cold-boots in between 25 and 30 seconds.

Now.. hows about a usable art program?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Now.. hows about a usable art program?
    Yeah I noticed they didn't even include gimp this time. That openoffice drawing is the shittiest drawing program I have ever used. MS paint from windows 95 would have been a better choice.
  • Yeah I noticed they didn't even include gimp this time. That openoffice drawing is the shittiest drawing program I have ever used. MS paint from windows 95 would have been a better choice.
    Isn't OpenOffice drawing supposed to be like Visio, not like Photoshop? Also, it's not like you can't install Gimp if you want it.
  • Welcome to last week. :P
  • edited May 2010
    Well, hell. Today, Steam for Linux begins to seem like a real possibility and, more importantly, MyPaint begins to show some real promise.
    Just after I'd got settled back into Windows.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • New Dumbuntu's been out for a while, yaddayadda, Nine finally bothers installing it.

No complaints.
  • Well, hell. Today,Steam for Linux begins to seem like a real possibilityand, more importantly,MyPaint begins to show some real promise.
    Just after I'd got settled back into Windows.
    I think this might be the Age of Expanding Steam...