This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Geeknights Coding Club: Project D.O.R.F.

edited April 2010 in Video Games
I guess we should move the discussion away from a DF thread.

Comments

• Oh snap! A thread!
  • Oh snap! A thread!
    This makes it REAL!
  • Finally we are living up to the phrase that Scott so often says "Put up or shut up"
    It's too early to make that claim.
  • edited April 2010
    Bagsie working on mechanics (Windmills, pumps, traps, etc..).
    Can we change the title to "Geeknights Coding Club: Project Dorf"?

I'm currently using coding training wheels via Eclipse + PyDev. Will put more time into getting through the Python intro tutorial.

@Churba: You're smart enough to code, it's just down to getting extra points in knowledge that you need. You can actually finish reading books, something I can't manage, which will make things easier for you.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Yeah, then we can say "We're making a clone of your game, but don't worry Toady, it's just an educational project."
  • Are we sure we want the name to be project dwarf? Not Elven Castle? Gnomish Hollow?

Indentured Servants to Komra III: Orcish Campground
  • edited April 2010
    How about robots on an alien landscape? Then we can keep the Dorf reference and make it something like Mule.
  • Who is Komra? The Goddess of War?
  • I think Dwarves have the best feel for this sort of thing.

Elven fortress would be much less guff and much more la de da.
  • edited April 2010
    @Churba: You're smart enough to code, it's just down to getting extra points in knowledge that you need. You can actually finish reading books, something I can't manage, which will make things easier for you.
    I can learn the language, sure, but from the small amount about coding that I've picked up listening to scrym (literally and figuratively) over time, I know that knowing the language don't mean shit if you don't know how to use it properly, or how it works. I might be an asset in that respect in the future, but no time soon.

However, Mechanics, weaponry, equipment, medicine, tactics, building, loving ale and fighting, trade, travel, animals, racial histories, that sort of thing, I can help you with.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Dudebro, Tarn's shit is fucked up so we got to fork/remake it II: It's straight-up dwarf time
  • edited April 2010
    Dwarfs work well as they're capable but still pretty close to the bottom of the food chain.
    I know that knowing the language don't mean shit if you don't know how to use it properly, or how it works.
    You gotta do it badly before you do it well, that's how I'm planning on doing things. Just keep my mess ups to a small area and work slowly.
    C'mon, in a week, at the rate you can read, you'd probably be ahead of what I can do.

Anyway, I got a customer to see too, see you in a few hours.

Mmm.. clicking and dragging to set out where to dig, I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it.
  • edited April 2010
    Dwarves certainly are appealing, however I'm sure we can come up with something much more original and interesting. Why rehash the same thing? Additionally, I think we should focus towards isometrikz from the starts, if we can get someone to actually make the sprites.

Also, I've got a feeling a lot of non-coders are about to see the true face of making game project. Testers? "Game Designers"? I laugh in your general direction.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Personally, I think the Zelda:LttP look would work best. Isometric makes plotting out rooms somewhat troublesome and doesn't add much.
  • edited April 2010
    Dudebro, Tarn's shit is fucked up so we got to fork/remake it II: It's straight-up dwarf time
    You win.
    Personally, I think the Zelda:LttP look would work best. Isometric makes plotting out rooms somewhat troublesome and doesn't add much.
    I agree, mostly because I don't know how to do iso, and I would have to look it up and do more work. Also, I think if we took SNES-ish sprites and put them on a high res monitor without scaling them, they will be a very practical size, but still look good. Also, we can straight up steal sprite sheets from LttP and other SNES games for mock-up purposes, then it would be easier for artists to switch it out. Here's a tree, draw a more different tree.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Dwarves certainly are appealing, however I'm sure we can come up with something much more original and interesting. Why rehash the same thing?
    That might also be a good way to distinguish yourself somewhat from the current game, legally speaking. The guy makes a living off of DF, right, or at least wants to? I could see potential legal obstacles if you made something too close to DF.
  • Dudebro, Tarn's shit is fucked up so we got to fork/remake it II: It's straight-up dwarf time
    Brodown!
    Dwarves certainly are appealing, however I'm sure we can come up with something much more original and interesting. Why rehash the same thing?
    Yeah, I'd be disappointed if this turned out to be only capable of rehashing Tarn's world(s). What if we started with manz? Primitive manz, to be sure, but manz. Leave out any magical stuff (to be added in later, maybe), just have it be about survival with minimal equipment and little if any backup. Like being shipwrecked on an island, Robinson Crusoe style, or similar.
    Additionally, I think we should focus towards isometrikz from the starts, if we can get someone to actually make the sprites.
    Yeah, grafix should be at least mid-90s level. No ASCII this time.
  • edited April 2010
    I still think Wall-E style Robot Fortress Base/Outpost would be fun. You're plonked down on a planet and have to set up an underground base.
    Australian Dwarfs could also be good.
  • I could see potential legal obstacles if you made something too close to DF.
    Hardly. Game mechanics are not patentable, and generic dwarves building fortresses is hardly a novel idea. There's little IP there beyond his actual (closed) code and his graphics. All he really has is the idea and his own implementation. The same idea implemented differently is perfectly fine in all regards.
  • Australian Dwarfs could also be good.
    "Urist McAussie cannot complete task: pissing off down the beach with Gazza"
  • I could see potential legal obstacles if you made something too close to DF Dungeon Keeper.
  • I still think Wall-E style RobotFortressBase/Outpost would be fun. You're plonked down on a planet and have to set up an underground base.
    Love it. But we have to be humble in our early ambitions. I have all kinds of ideas about starting your "fort" or whatever at a very low level of technology and working towards more advanced civilization, over an epic span of in-game time. Kind of like Spore, but good.
  • Let's start with drawing some stuff on a screen, and maybe making some of it move.
  • Let's start with drawing some stuff on a screen, and maybe making some of it move.
    Good point - We can have an end goal, but we gotta get some shit done before we make our plans too big.
  • edited April 2010
    Ok, back in an hour or two; Then, to find me a pixel editor.
  • Australians Dwarfs could also be good.
    Teehee.

Well I know almost nothing about python, I got basic loops and if -> then shit down. I have a very basic grasp how recursion works is and I don't know what classes are. I can probably do very basic string manipulation. I've only done stuff like make a converter, find a string of text and convert it to something else, stuff I bet some of you guys could crank in 1 minute (mind you I could probably do the same in 10 minutes). I'm interested in increasing my python skills but I dunno what exactly I can do to help. If someone gave me a feature to implement I could probably research how to do it and take my sweet as time and it'll probably hella innefficient, sloppy, and terribly written. Hope none of you mind my potential to be a liability rather than an asset, but hey, I'm much more motivated to learn and do this properly with something I would actually like.
  • I've only done stuff like make a converter, find a string of text and convert it to something else, stuff I bet some of you guys could crank in 1 minute (mind you I could probably do the same in 10 minutes).
    Actually, that's stuff someone can crank out in a few seconds if they know regex well.
  • edited April 2010
    @Joe: Looks like you'll be with me working on the heta version code. Heta = Japanese for useless / no good.
    On a more serious note: If Scott or Rym can recommend which method we should use, we can do the looking up and (badly) implementing.
  • You guys are assholes but, while you're at it, you might as well try and recruit some members of the DF community who feel similarly and might want to help.
  • You guys are assholes but, while you're at it, you might as well try and recruit some members of the DF community who feel similarly and might want to help.
    No, just let it happen naturally. We're not hostile to the real DF. If we hated it so much, why would we try to imitate it? Also, do you seriously think we can ever actually get close to the original in terms of features?