This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070207 - Shoujo Kakumei Utena

RymRym
edited February 2007 in Anime

Tonight on GeekNights, we review (no spoilers) Shoujo Kakumei Utena. In the news, the American Anime Awards announce their "finalists," and Kadokawa will sell movies online in the US.

Scott's Thing - Food Fighter
Rym's Thing - Hitler was Born to Buy a New Car

Comments

• Now I really want to see Utena as well as Trigun. Aaaargh. D: Does anyone know where in Australia I can find Utena box sets? Madman has the movie but not the series. Someone else must have the license?

Rym TotD was classic. :B I think I've seen the miniseries it came from too.
  • The episode is not on the feed at the moment. I had to download manually.
  • The Hitler scene in Rym's thing of the day is from Downfall/Der Untergang. It's a very good movie you really should watch. It's certainly not a funny movie, but it's a very good drama that will also enhance your understanding of WW2.
  • Now I really want to see Utena as well as Trigun. Aaaargh. D: Does anyone know where in Australia I can find Utena box sets?
    Amazon.com, homeslice.
  • My little brother watches Utena every day on the Funimation Channel on cable, and I definitely agree with what you guys said about the English dubbing. I'll just rent it from netflix to see the subtitled version.
  • Did you put the show up late? Cause it wasn't on my iTunes until this morning.
  • Utena was a great show. However, I started with anime really early in life. However I had watched the next shows befroe Utena; Kimba, then Cobra, Captain Future, Lupin 3th, Rose of Versalles, Candy Candy, Captain Tsubasa, Magic Knight Rayearth, Macross or Robotech, Sailor Moon, Captain Harlock, most of Go Nagai Giant Robot shows, Dragonball, Tekaman, and finally Evangelion so by the time I watched Utena for the first time back in 1998, I basically had an idea of what would and will happen during the show and I was 15 at the time. I mean the opening introduce that there would be crazy battles and since I had a previous knowledge of anime I knew that everything is not what it seems to be so I kept my guard up while watching it, maybe I did it on purpose because I had pledge to myself not to be surprise by a shoujo anime ever (damn you Candy Candy and your strong main character). I must say that back in 1998 the animation quality was pretty good. And I had truly enjoyed but not as much as my previous shows.
  • How many dvd's should a complete set of the series contain? I found an auction on eBay for $39.99+$7 shipping that contains 6 disks with the entire 39 episodes.
  • How many dvd's should a complete set of the series contain? I found an auction on eBay for $39.99+$7 shipping that contains 6 disks with the entire 39 episodes.
    That's a bootleg. ^_~
  • I figured; thats why I was wondering how many disks I should be looking for.
  • edited February 2007
    I was skeptical of this review because my first exposure to Utena was a when a friend was getting me onto anime and he gave me a bunch of DVDs with fan subs on them.

For some reason, the Utena movie was labeled as a "the love hina movie." You can imagine my surprise when I started watching the movie and how f***ed my mind was when I saw NAKED CARS.

To this day, I never have sat down and watched a single ep of the TV show, but after your rabid fan boy review, I'm I might just have to.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • It is odd. I first saw this anime probably six or so years ago when I was in high school. Sophomore... or junior year... something. I never got to complete the whole series however. I was thinking about purchasing it recently (more like nostalgically obsessing) and then lo and behold, you guys do a show on Utena. The funny thing is that, shamefully, I hadn't listened to Geeknights in probably months until I tuned in to this show. Amazing. I nosed around YouTube and it seems they basically have the whole show there and I'm watching it now. Episode 25. I still plan on purchasing it though.

I don't know if anyone else has seen the show other than Rym and Scott, but for those who have, has anyone noticed the way the pre-duel song, Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku, changes. I think it has changed twice since the first version. Perhaps not the words but things such has more prominent male vocals, percussion, etc. I couldn't tell for sure the first time but the second change is definitely different. Or am I just imagining it?
  • has anyone noticed the way the pre-duel song, Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku, changes
    There are four versions of the song, two from the show and two from the movie. ^_^
  • I'm an absolute fan boy when it comes to Utena's music, especial the choral rock pieces. I have figure out most of them on the keyboard and guitar and listen to them as if they were any other type of music.

My favorite piece in all of Utena happens to be "Ensuikei Zettairan Algebra" which has a gradually building tension which lets out with a rush and leaves you both awe and shocked, the lyrics also never fail to blow me away.
  • edited February 2007
    I've just started watching this. I've know about the series for awhile now. I had pretty much dismissed Utena as a shojo on 'crack' and left it at that. But after hearing Scott and especially Rym gush about this series, I figure I might as well give this a spin. I'm up to episode two. Utena is an interesting character, but I'm not to impressed by any of the other characters though. Anyhow, I'm off to watch some more.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited February 2007
    Does Shoujo Kakumei mean in English Revolutionary Girl? Are Shoujo Kakumei Utena and Revolutionary Girl Utena the same thing? I'm a little confused at this. ^_~
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Does Shoujo Kakumei mean in English Revolutionary Girl? Is Shoujo Kakumei Utena and Revolutionary Girl Utena the same thing? I'm a little confused at this. ^_~
    Yes, they are the same thing.
  • edited February 2007
    Thanks.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • After finally getting around to this show, I very much want to see Utena.
    As Deepdiscountdvd has a good deal available on the first two seasons, I may be watching it sooner rather than later.
  • Utena is probably my favorite anime ever; I can't recommend it enough.
    And to whoever was asking about the DVDs there should be ten in a complete set.
  • My university has a class on anime and last week we watched the Utena Movie and read the first volume for the lecture on shoujo manga/anime.. trippy stuff, it was almost at mind numbingly wtf as the Eva movie. I was puzzled at the beginning of class when the prof warned us to "just roll with it" when we reached the carwash scene.. My brain hurts just thinking about it.
  • Is your avatar from Utena Rym.
  • His avatar is from the one of the greatest anime evar!! Irresponsible Captain Tylor.
  • His avatar is from the one of the greatest anime evar!! Irresponsible Captain Tylor.

oh, really?
  • Well, my current avatar in the forums is the rose signet from Utena.  My general avatar in the wild (and on AIM) is Captain Tylor. ^_^
  • I have now watched the first disc of Utena.  The DVDs took a while to reach me from deepdiscount.  Nothing too crazy so far (except Jury and Miki.)
    I have a question regarding Miki.  In the subtitles, they go back and forth between Miki and Mickey, and I noticed that they when they do it it corresponds to the characters saying the name slightly different as well.  When they lengthen the last syllable in the dialouge, the subtitles call him Mickey.  Is this just a nickname thing for the character?
  • edited May 2007
    I just have one question about Utena... What's up with all the incest o.O
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • Oh and my bad on the forum avatar, I don't usually look at avatars on forums. My mistake, I'm just used to seeing the Captain Tylor one.
  • edited July 2007
    Talking about show so you are been warned. This show for me is like a teenager show about High school kids having problems and they blow up those problems to the most extreme and then some.

I also think it’s trying to say you have to be yourself. At the same it’s saying even if you get your fairy tail ending you still are going to have to lose something in end if you want that fairy tail ending.

Some episodes in the show you could show on Saturday morning cartoons. Other episodes you can only show on cable i.e. Black Rose episodes for example (Very dark episodes about the human condition). It has this wired blend of kids show stuff in it with fairy tails coming from McGee’s Alice in Wonderland in it.

This is why the show works so well for me.
    Post edited by N15PCA on
  • I've been going through the archives and came actross this show last night. I checked out the first 3 episodes, and so far I'm impressed. I don't know why, next to nothing has happened except for some serious lesbianic overtones, but something about it has me HOOKED. I can't wait to watch more.

Also, when purchasing, what's the first set called? I can find the black rose saga (right?) but nothing prior... Thanks.