This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What book are you reading now/have finished?

Comments

• Finished 5th Scott Pilgrim Book.

Still feel the same. Romance and Characters = Meh. Everything else? Pretty cool.

Hoping for great payoff.
  • edited May 2010
    Just rereading The Call of Cthulhu so that I may better analyse it for my extended essay. Not that I am in any particular rush, but I can basically read it in two lunch breaks.
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • Perdido Street Station
    It's a good book, but it'sbrutalin a way that few things I have read are.
    Sure. Brutally long, brutally redundant...
  • Awhile ago Mike (Gabe) from Penny Arcade asked for book suggestions on Twitter. Someone tallied all of the replies. A book I had never heard of was very high on the list. I'm now reading it. It's called The Lies of Locke Lamora. I can pretty much guarantee that many people here will like it.
  • Romance and Characters = Meh.
    I guess you're just not a sap like the rest of us ;)
  • Second Scott Pilgrim book.
    Mildly Congratulatory response. Inquiry into your enjoyment of said book.
    Really enjoying it. This is something I would have loved to read back when I was in my early 20s, but it's something I can enjoy in my 30s as well. Strangely, I tend to like the day to day interactions between the characters more than I do the "evil boyfriend" fight scenes.
  • Just rereading The Call of Cthulhu so that I may better analyse it for myextended essay.Not that I am in any particular rush, but I can basically read it in two lunch breaks.
    I just re-read this myself.
  • Finished The Judging Eye last night. The last few chapters of the book really picked it back up for me, and I'm excited for book two. With that done, next book is going to be Bone, the complete tome.
  • Just rereading The Call of Cthulhu so that I may better analyse it for myextended essay.Not that I am in any particular rush, but I can basically read it in two lunch breaks.
    I just re-read this myself.
    It has lead me to find most epic political/Cthulhu desktop in the world.
  • edited May 2010
    Freakonomics in English, Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys in Portuguese and Paranoia RPG books. I'm trying to see if it's worth the effort of translating the basics and maybe making an introduction class in power point to force my friends into this game.
    Post edited by sucrilhos on
  • Freakonomics in English
    This book is amazing.
  • I'm reading a shit ton of Mil Millington. Finished TMGAIHAA, now working on A Certain Chemistry. Also, Gravity's Rainbow.
  • I just bought Ulysses by James Joyce as a dare to myself. Flipping through it, I see the following things: Regular dialogue, Sentence fragments, Suddenly lapsing into a script, and a sentence that is about 4,000 words long. Lets do this...
  • Head First C#, you know, for a little light reading here and there. Also ''Blowguns, breath of death" and 'Zips, pipes and pens, improvised weapons'. Those are enough to get me through the day for now.
  • I just bought Ulysses by James Joyce as a dare to myself. Flipping through it, I see the following things: Regulardialogue, Sentence fragments, Suddenly lapsing into a script, and a sentence that is about 4,000 words long. Lets do this...
    Let's hope you'll get farther than Rym, because it's one of the few books he just gave up reading altogether.
  • edited May 2010
    I'm reading the second book in the Looking Glass Wars trilogy (Seeing Redd) and it's just as predictable and just as strangley enjoyable as the first one.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Just started reading Sherlock Holmes (all of it by the time the summer's out) since the campus library doesn't have the only one of Terry Pratchett's Diskworld books I haven't read (Wintersmith).
  • Just started reading Sherlock Holmes (all of it by the time the summer's out) since the campus library doesn't have the only one of Terry Pratchett's Diskworld books I haven't read (Wintersmith).
    Could you specify which story you are reading as there are many Sherlock Holmes Story written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
  • I just bought Ulysses by James Joyce as a dare to myself. Flipping through it, I see the following things: Regular dialogue, Sentence fragments, Suddenly lapsing into a script, and a sentence that is about 4,000 words long. Lets do this...
    My record is page 111. I should give it another go.
    Could you specify which story you are reading as there are many Sherlock Holmes Story written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
    He said all of the canon by the time summer's out.
    I'm reading a two volume set that calls itself The Complete Sherlock Holmes, so I'm gonna take it at its word. I'm reading A Study in Scarlet now, and I've already read The Sign of The Four since the set was checked out when I started.
  • I am reading the Hitchhike guide to the galaxy for a book club
  • Finished Lamora, starting Cosmos. You should be as well.
  • I'm about halfway through re-reading The Confusion by Neal Stephenson. I read the complete Baroque Trilogy a couple years ago but had to leave my hardcovers behind when I moved because they were too heavy, and on a whim, I bought all three books again in trade paperback format so now I'm working through them again. I love anything that Stephenson writes, so I'm having a blast re-reading this. My only fear is that once I'm done with The System of the World, I'll immediately want to re-read the Cryptonomicon when I have so many other new books to read.
  • Just started reading The Book Thief, even from the first few pages I can just tell I'm going to really enjoy it. It's a story based in Germany during the Second World War, with Death narrating.
  • Just started reading The Book Thief, even from the first few pages I can just tell I'm going to really enjoy it. It's a story based in Germany during the Second World War, with Death narrating.
    This! Markus Zusak is a brilliant writer, if you enjoy The Book Thief, you'll probably also enjoy I am the Messenger, which is his other Printz honor winning title. They're completely different in practically every way, but they are both written beautifully.

As for what I'm reading, I'm taking a class on Shakespeare's Comedies in the fall semester, and so I decided to get ahead by reading as many as I could over the summer. I'm starting with A Midsummer Night's Dream.
  • Half Price Books once again provided me with a cheap purchase: Heinlein's Friday for $3.
  • Holy god do I have an intense amount of backlog and half read or 1/3rd read books but at the moment, the one that I'm actually interested in finishing is Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk. Just like with my video games, I really need to finish up a couple of these books before I can justify buying anything new, even with a 33% discount on everything.
  • Just finished powering through Bakuman up to current. It's hard for me to say this considering how much I like Billy Bat, but I think it's the best serial manga I'm reading right now. It's by Ohba Tsugumi, the same guy who wrote Death Note, and I think it's better than that even (mostly because I can relate to people struggling to break into an industry [I know a lot of film students going through similar situations] better than someone trying to fix the world). The only thing it's really missing is something that is as purely awesome as Ryuk (especially when he was going through apple withdraws).
  • It's hard for me to say this considering how much I like Billy Bat, but I think it's the best serial manga I'm reading right now. It's by Ohba Tsugumi, the same guy who wrote Death Note
    Billy Bat is by Naoki Urasawa, who did Monster, Pluto, 20th Century Boys, etc.
  • It's hard for me to say this considering how much I like Billy Bat, but I think it's the best serial manga I'm reading right now. It's by Ohba Tsugumi, the same guy who wrote Death Note
    Billy Bat is by Naoki Urasawa, who did Monster, Pluto, 20th Century Boys, etc.
    Aye, Billy - Urasawa, Bakuman - Tsugumi (should have broke into another paragraph). I wish I could find more of Urasawa's older stuff. I really liked Jugoro!, but I can't find any of Yawara!, Happy! or Pineapple Army in English.