This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

YouTube goes Flash-free.

edited January 2010 in Technology
YouTube is offering a new video player that doesn't involve Flash. Instead, it will be using HTML5.

It's currently in beta testing, which you can check out here.

I thought I'd create a thread to discuss this new feature. If any souls are brave enough to journey into the beyond, let us know whether you're having a good or bad experience with it.

Comments

• edited January 2010
    There's a Greasemonkey script that swaps the flash video for a video embed which I use on my laptop in conjunction with Gnome-MPlayer. I wouldn't recommend it for most people as it's quite hackish but full-screen 720p video on a four year old laptop is pretty nice.

Also: No Firefox support?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited January 2010
    This is SUCH a good idea.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Fullscreen is not supported
    I'm gonna wait on this one.
  • Also: No Firefox support?
    The reason for this is because the browsers can not agree on which video codec to use for the video tag. Google and Apple are using H.264, which is patent-encumbered. Mozilla only includes support for the Ogg Theora coded, because Mozilla is pure open source, and won't include patented stuff like that.
  • I was afraid that was the case.
  • The reason for this is because the browsers can not agree on which video codec to use for the video tag. Google and Apple are using H.264, which is patent-encumbered. Mozilla only includes support for the Ogg Theora coded, because Mozilla is pure open source, and won't include patented stuff like that.
    This is also exactly the reason why you need a plugin alongside the Greasemonkey script Omnutia linked. Youtube has used H.264 encoded mp4s basically since they started offering the 'HD' resolutions and I don't think they'll change.

Doesn't Youtube also just use MEncoder to convert all the video that is uploaded there to their specifications?
  • I thought I'd bump this thread with some recent developments:

Google will be releasing the upcoming VP8 codec for HTML5 as open-source.

Source

It looks like there's hope for Firefox users after all!
  • edited April 2010
    Hallelujah!

The format war! It's over! Rejoice!
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited April 2010
    YOU WERN'T THERE, MAN!
    Post edited by Churba on
  • The format war! It's over! Rejoice!
    YOU WERN'T THERE, MAN!
    We lost bits man, bits. Times were rough.
    YOU WERN'T THERE, MAN!
    We waited hours for video support to arrive...Sometimes it never did...
    YOU WERN'T THERE, MAN!
    I'm having a flashback... watch out for Charlie the Unicorn in the trees!
  • edited April 2010
    YOU WERN'T THERE, MAN!
    Format war, you say? The memories of those Defragment bombs...no, the Flash bombs were worse. It was horrible. the battle of Youtube was fierce, we fought with our bare hands, AND WE WERE BETTER FOR IT!
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
    YOU WERN'T THERE, MAN!
    Format war, you say? The memories of those Defragment bombs...no, the Flash bombs were worse. It was horrible. the battle of Youtube was fierce, we fought with our bare hands, AND WE WERE BETTER FOR IT!
    We had to dig our own trenches and lay our own fiber. After that it was just a waiting game...
    YOU WERN'T THERE, MAN!
    We had to dig our own trenches and lay our own fiber. After that it was just a waiting game...
    I was at the 17.0.0.0 – 17.255.255.255 Block Massacre. Teenage boys with little more than DDoS Scripts, their components strewn everywhere.

War is hell.
  • edited May 2010
    YouTube has updated its HTML5 page. It's going to be available for Firefox users very soon.

You'll need to install WebM before doing so.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • I checked it out, but it doesn't work with the videos that have the pop-up ads in the videos. Which is pretty much all the videos I watch, although I never see them thanks to Ad-block.