This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070227 - Super Mario World

edited February 2007 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss the fourth console Super Mario Brothers game, Super Mario World. In the news, Coca-Cola could be redesigning their cans and Metal Gear Solid 3 will no longer be playable online.

Scott's Thing - Super Mario Bros. Super Show in German
Rym's Thing - Sonic Underground in French

Comments

• Ahh, Sonic cartoons. They were always horrible, but I always watched them and hoped XD
  • You CAN revisit levels in Mario 3.
    What Mario 3 are you playing?
    Ahh, Sonic cartoons. They were always horrible, but I always watched them and hoped XD
    There were many different Sonic cartoons. The one that had Scratch and Grounder and the bad animation was the best one. All the ones with the fancy animation were no good.
  • Didn't super Mario World ship with the SNES? I played it while I was stationed in Germany but I do not remember if I ever finished it.

I did purchase it on the VC as soon as it came out and it is worth the $8.

So far I have completed the first three castles and found all of the secrets along the way. I just need to cross the bridge (upper and lower).

The funny thing about the game is that you should never run out of lives. Even when times get tough you need only backtrack to the first world on the left and run through it for 5+ free lives. Rinse and repeat.

Once you find the secret in the boo house in Donut Dome (the one by the bridge) you open up an area that will give you all the power-ups and a free guy every time!
  • The slimline PS2's have the network jack built-in.
  • What Mario 3 are you playing?
    Am I in some strange, alternate universe? Of course you can revisit Mario 3 levels.
  • Metal Gear Solid 3 is called Snake Eater, what you are you referring to is Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance which is sort of a director's cut of Snake Eater with additional features, including the multiplayer.
  • I got the GBA version of Super Mario World in the 4th grade. It took me a year, but by the end of 5th grade I had finally unlocked and beaten absolutely everything. Good luck, Scott.
    What Mario 3 are you playing?

How many different mario 3's are there? NES, All Stars, Super Mario Advance 4? I'm pretty sure you can revisit levels. The only ones you can't revisit were the ships, the toad houses, the hammer bros, the castles?

I'm pretty sure u can't revisit levels on mario 1 and 2.

Also for what its worth - I too have been debating whether mario world or mario 3 was the better game. Its a dead heat imo. Mario world has awesome levels, and Mario 3 has more replayability, there were lots of items you could use from the map screen and experiment with for each level.
  • I just did some research. In the GBA version of Mario 3, aka Super Mario Bros. Advance 4, you can replay any level in a world once you have beaten every level in that world. Although, this does not let you replay castle and fortress levels. If you beat every level in the entire game, then you can replay every level including the fortresses and castles. In the original Mario 3, there is no way to replay levels you have beaten. If there is a way, it involves a secret code I've never heard of that is not documented on the web. Perhaps a Game Genie can do it.

In Super Mario Brothers 3 for the Nintendo Entertainment System you can not replay a level that you have beaten. Of course, it doesn't count if you reset the game and start from scratch again. If you disagree, try yourself. If you are so sure that I am wrong, bet against me! I'll bet real money that I am right. I just tested it, so I'm 100% sure.
  • I was playing the old NES one.

I thought i was 100% sure that you could revisit levels, but because you ARE so sure now, it makes me less sure! I think maybe i got confused with repeating a level if it wasn't completed.

So yeah - stupid me for calling you out on that one!
  • Wow, Scott really was talking out of his ass on this one. For him to say, ''play Gears of War" really shows that he has absolutely no idea about the amazing quality of the Metal Gear franchise.
  • Wow, Scott really was talking out of his ass on this one. For him to say, ''play Gears of War" really shows that he has absolutely no idea about the amazing quality of the Metal Gear franchise.
    The original Metal Gear for the NES was good. The others, not so much.
    Have you even played one of them? From what I gathered through the podcasts you didn't even ever have a system that played one of the "Solids".
    Granted, I am not a fan of the series either, but thats mainly because I don't like stealth games.
    Have you even played one of them? From what I gathered through the podcasts you didn't even ever have a system that played one of the "Solids".
    Granted, I am not a fan of the series either, but thats mainly because I don't like stealth games.
    They have mentioned many times they had a Gamecube during their time at college. The first Metal Gear Solid is an awesome game, the remake on the Gamecube is the best version of that. However the rest of them are just films with some gameplay thrown in.
  • Original MGS > Gamecube remake.

I like Ryhuei Kitamura's early filcks alot, but I thought he really brought a little too much over-the-topness to the remake. Also, they are entirely different in difficulty as the original is much, much harder.

I also disagree with the comparison to 'films with gameplay' thrown in as they are trying to now make a MGS movie and that will simply not do these games justice. They exist entirely within the medium of gaming and excel wonderfully in that by pushing many ideas which few other games have/will ever do. My joke about that the movie is that one does not need to see the Starry Night rendered in 3-D, as it stands on its own in its own 2-D medium.

Snake? Snake!?

Snaaaaaaaaaaaake!