This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Videos of Panel Talks?

edited June 2010 in Conventions
I was wondering if you have made any progress in making your panel talks available in video form?

I have a friend who is a teacher and will be starting a game design class next year. I was telling her about your "Losing Should Be Fun" panel and would love to share it with her (among other people). I think many of your other talks would have salient points as well!

So, what's the story, morning glory? Thanks! :)

Comments

• Video is a pain in the arse, and the learning curve is steep. ;^)

We're going to try to re-do some of our big panels at the studio on a couch, but it's going to take a while. I don't have much more of an update, other than that things will move much more quickly after Connecticon, and then at lightning speed after PAX.
  • Alas and alack! I understand :)

She is considering trying to come to PAX. I had heard that you were thinking of retiring a goodly lot of your talks? Will any of the old standards be in attendance?
  • I had heard that you were thinking of retiring a goodly lot of your talks? Will any of the old standards be in attendance?
    Most likely, we'll be doing two brand new panels in lieu of our old ones, plus a third event.
  • Alright, I'll let her know she is out of luck... for now :)

I look forward to seeing your new panels at PAX! I went to one last year and was hooked and went to all the others because of it!
  • Video is a pain in the arse, and the learning curve is steep. ;^)
    This sounds like utter bullshit. I mean, he was asking about video for your panels, which isn't more than just putting down the camera aimed at you guys and the projection screen and setting it to record. Then optionally clipping off the start and end. The learning curve only becomes steep once you start worrying about composition and actual film-making shit. Not just recording a freaking panel.
  • I mean, he was asking about video for your panels, which isn't more than just putting down the camera aimed at you guys and the projection screen and setting it to record.
    Do that, and the audio is shit. They're also boring has hell to watch, and you can't see the slides, which are actually really important. Nevermind the fact that almost no conventions actually give us time to set up, let alone a good audio feed, good lighting, or a place for a camera. If you pay for a rental camera crew, we'll gladly tape all of our panels.
  • Do that, and the audio is shit. They're also boring has hell to watch, and you can't see the slides, which are actually really important. Nevermind the fact that almost no conventions actually give us time to set up, let alone a good audio feed, good lighting, or a place for a camera. If you pay for a rental camera crew, we'll gladly tape all of our panels.
    None of that makes it hard, just annoying as fuck. Important difference there.

And just get some Monster cables if you care about high fidelity sound.
  • edited June 2010
    Univers, look at nearly any Youtube video of a panel or public presentation. See if you can make out the speaker over crowd noise through the POS microphone most video cameras come with. Hell, see if the speaker comes through clearly when the crowd is quiet. Doing the job right is a lot tougher than you're assuming.

EDIT:
    Never mind, you must be trolling. ^_^
    Post edited by Jaifriedpork on
  • EDIT:
    Never mind, youmustbe trolling. ^_^
    New guy catches on fast.
    edited June 2010
    Univers, look at nearly any Youtube video of a panel or public presentation. See if you can make out the speaker over crowd noise through the POS microphone most video cameras come with. Hell, see if the speaker comes through clearly when the crowd is quiet. Doing the job right is a lot tougher than you're assuming.
    I advice you to learn to comprehend what you respond to. I said it's not hard, just annoying to set up. I fucking did this shit in high school, standing next to a busy road. Again, it is not hard, you just have to set up. Which Rym said they aren't given time for.
    Never mind, you must be trolling. ^_^
    You also appear to fail at getting sarcasm, jokes and having general knowledge about the internet, thus you must be utterly new to it, welcome, and fuck off if you know shit.
    New guy catches on fast.
    Stop being a fucking idiot yourself.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Hmm.. this seems to have degenerated since I was here last. That's disappointing.

I personally think it's hard to do annoying things. But that's just me. I got my answer if anyone wants to lock this thread. Thanks!

(ps. I'm a she, just an fyi)
  • Heh... Video is in the hopper, but it will take time. ;^)
  • edited June 2010
    Hmm.. this seems to have degenerated since I was here last. That's disappointing.
    Really, in the end, you get used to it and ignore it, or you drift away and visit occasionally, drifting away again every time you get annoyed by it. Just the way it goes, I suppose.

Still, hang around. It gets better, I promise.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • The panel you have announced you'll be doing at PAX Prime (Game Design) is even *more* applicable to my friend's class! It doesn't sound like you have plans to record it, do you mind if I do (unprofessionally as it may be)?
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2010
    As soon as I get enough money, It's on the top of my list to buy a professional video camera (not movie quality mind you), a tripod, the whole shebang. I will use this stuff to record most of their panels sometime in the near future. Seeing as it's very unlikely they'll do this...I guess I should since I'm more than willing to sacrifice valuable free time to do this, edit it, and put it up on Vimeo. Do I have to work out any fine details or make arrangements with the convention itself before doing something like this.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I suggest one of the Canon DSLR Cameras with a good long lens, and try to get an audio feed from the board in the room. It shoots higher quality video than the camera Lucas used to shoot the new trilogy, for a fraction of the cost. Plus, you get a truly awesome still camera out of it too.
  • I suggest one of the Canon DSLR Cameras with a good long lens, and try to get an audio feed from the board in the room. It shoots higher quality video than the camera Lucas used to shoot the new trilogy, for a fraction of the cost.
    That's simply not true. Just way, way, way not true and costs a hell of a lot if you're just recording fucking panels. Any camera that records to HDV/1080i is more than good enough for what you need, get an HV20 on ebay. With panels you're really more concerned with what they have to say, and good audio recording is in truth more difficult than good video recording both in terms of skill and quality.

Also if the slides are important then grab them off them onto a USB stick at the end and then edit them in.
  • edited July 2010
    That's simply not true. Just way, way, way not true and costs a hell of a lot if you're just recording fucking panels. Any camera that records to HDV/1080i is more than good enough for what you need, get an HV20 on ebay. With panels you're really more concerned with what they have to say, and good audio recording is in truth more difficult than good video recording both in terms of skill and quality.

Also if the slides are important then grab them off them onto a USB stick at the end and then edit them in.
    You have me on one point, but only because they shot Phantom Menace on 35mm. But aside from that it actually is true, unfortunately. The quality of videos produced by both the Canon 5d Mkii, and the 7d are immensely better than the Sony HDW-F950(the camera used for both Episodes 2 and 3).

As for HDV the cost of any HDV camera is actually either higher than, or, at best, on par with that of the newer DSLRs that Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic are producing.

The cheapest HDV camera on BHPhotovideo.com retails for $950, and the Canon 7d retails for $1699 and add roughly $150 for a long lens to go with it and you're set.

And I'm talking about this as a video/film production professional with years of experience with everything from MiniDV, and Betacam SP all the way up to HDCAM and DVCPRO HD.

Edit: Yes, audio is more difficult, but if you can get a line level feed from the board in the room, then you just plug it into the camera and you're all set.
    Post edited by Mycroft000 on
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2010
    I suggest one of the Canon DSLR Cameras with a good long lens, and try to get an audio feed from the board in the room. It shoots higher quality video than the camera Lucas used to shoot the new trilogy, for a fraction of the cost. Plus, you get a truly awesome still camera out of it too.
    That's simply not true. Just way, way, way not true and costs a hell of a lot if you're just recording fucking panels. Any camera that records to HDV/1080i is more than good enough for what you need, get an HV20 on ebay. With panels you're really more concerned with what they have to say, and good audio recording is in truth more difficult than good video recording both in terms of skill and quality.I agree with you on every single point there. But I'm somewhat uninitiated when it comes to knowing exactly what model to buy because there are practically thousands (millions even) of them out there and I really only have a few things I want to use it for. Any suggestions in that regard?
    That was actually one of my biggest concerns if I am going to attempt this (I've got a payroll and a budget set up, so I'm all good to go; all I need is time). When I recorded all the concerts and plays back in high school, one of my biggest concerns was knowing exactly what I wanted it to look like (based on the criteria my teacher set and my own personal preferences that were within the aforementioned criteria) and I always hated switching back and forth rapidly as I'm not really great on the fly like that. Granted, plays were a lot easier since I could go to one night and get an idea of the final product in my head for tomorrow; but that's beside the point. I will use that advice to great effect and thanks a lot for it.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • The quote about slides is misattributed to me.

Now as for what camera to buy, it depends entirely on your budget, but I would shy away from anything that requires tapes to record on because you add extra time and wear and tear on the camera to import the footage(which can only be done in real time). So that pushes toward something that records on SDHC or compact flash. Honestly most of those cameras are below my radar because I've hardly ever dealt with consumer equipment. Make sure whatever you get has audio meters so that when you do run audio in you can watch the levels and adjust if necessary. That said, if you do choose to go with a DSLR that records video, you may need to do an aftermarket firmware update(reversible) to get the audio meters. And I would avoid getting the projection screen in frame because the projector will be greatly overexposed if you've set your iris for the speaker(s). Just use a stopwatch and log the slide changes if you want to go to that much effort.

If you do go with some sort of video camera, aim for something with the longest optical zoom and image stabilizers, don't turn digital zoom on at all, it just looks awful no matter how good the optical zoom is; try to use a fluid head tripod if one is available. There's plenty more advice but, again, it depends on your budget.
  • Do not buy a DSLR camera for this job. Just don't. It is unsuitable at just about every level. For example, it stops recording at 12 minutes due to file size issues. Then, if you keep going, you can fill an 8gb card in an hour. The battery life for these cameras is also more suited to stills than continuous video. Also, you want auto focus to just work, and focusing a DSLR during video recording is a pain.

Don't get a DSLR unless you already know exactly what you need it for and that it is suited to your needs.
  • Do not buy a DSLR camera for this job. Just don't. It is unsuitable at just about every level. For example, it stops recording at 12 minutes due to file size issues. Then, if you keep going, you can fill an 8gb card in an hour. The battery life for these cameras is also more suited to stills than continuous video. Also, you want auto focus to just work, and focusing a DSLR during video recording is a pain.

Don't get a DSLR unless you already know exactly what you need it for and that it is suited to your needs.
    Good point, I'm used to shooting with it on commercials and in studio, hadn't thought about time limits on recording. The battery life isn't that bad though. I also hadn't thought of auto focus, I never use it. When it comes to shooting in conference settings I'm used to working with industrial cameras with full studio kits. So I'm probably thinking on too large of a scale.

Good point, I'm used to shooting with it on commercials and in studio, hadn't thought about time limits on recording. The battery life isn't that bad though. I also hadn't thought of auto focus, I never use it. When it comes to shooting in conference settings I'm used to working with industrial cameras with full studio kits. So I'm probably thinking on too large of a scale.
    Could I have some examples regarding this point?
  • I'm talking about cameras like:
    http://www.shuttersniped.com/tag/versatile-camera/

That is a standard definition camera, which is what is primarily used for conferences currently because no businesses are willing to pay for the upgrade to HD yet when SD is good enough for their purposes. Renting that camera in that configuration is actually pretty affordable, somewhere in the range of $600/day depending on the rental house. Buying all of that would probably cost somewhere around $13,000-$17,000.

A setup that's an affordable HD option would probably be the following:
    Camera: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800668063-USE/Canon_0967B001_XL_H1_3_CCD_High_Definition.html
    Tripod: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/683561-REG/Manfrotto_504HD_535K_504HD_Head_w_535_3_Stage.html
    Zoom/Focus Control: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=details_accessories&A=kitInfo&Q=&sku=186651&is=REG

Altogether it isn't cheap, and while it is tape based, it's definitely a workable option. It is the most affordable option that would be well suited to recording in a breakout room for panels.

• You have me on one point, but only because they shot Phantom Menace on 35mm. But aside from that it actually is true, unfortunately. The quality of videos produced by both the Canon 5d Mkii, and the 7d are immensely better than the Sony HDW-F950(the camera used for both Episodes 2 and 3).
    You can buy the upcoming RED Scarlet camera for less than a 5D MK II or especially a 7D.

Also, we're not shooting a major Hollywood film, here. Just get a half decent cam-corder, and a tripod. Done and done.
  • The RED cameras are all over hyped, and I haven't seen the Scarlet priced less than the Canon cameras. However sony has announced a camera that may have the potential to beat out both RED and Canon if they include XLR inputs and a good HD video output:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/717535-REG/Sony_NEX_VG10_NEX_VG10_Interchangeable_Lens_Handycam.html

It's a step in the right direction, a small body video camera with a large imager, interchangeable lenses, and hopefully the good inputs and outputs if they release a pro-sumer version of it.
  • The RED cameras are all over hyped, and I haven't seen the Scarlet priced less than the Canon cameras. However sony has announced a camera that may have the potential to beat out both RED and Canon if they include XLR inputs and a good HD video output:
    I was going from memory, but now I'm checking the prices - holy fuck, the 7d is a two and a half thousand dollar camera. I've owned cars that cost less than that.
    And the 5D Mark 2? Four Grand, BODY ONLY. Throw on the cost of a decent lens, and you're looking at at least another five hundred bucks on top.

Dude, You're outta your god-damn mind. Geo - You can get a camera which will suit your needs more than adequately without this crazy shit.

• You have me on one point, but only because they shot Phantom Menace on 35mm. But aside from that it actually is true, unfortunately. The quality of videos produced by both the Canon 5d Mkii, and the 7d are immensely better than the Sony HDW-F950(the camera used for both Episodes 2 and 3).
    You can buy the upcoming RED Scarlet camera for less than a 5D MK II or especially a 7D.

Also, we're not shooting a major Hollywood film, here. Just get a half decent cam-corder, and a tripod. Done and done.
    Good god I don't think it's possible for me to agree more with this comment. The important part here is setting up the audio. 720p is the highest quality I would should be internet video with, as it is the perfect blend of file size and quality. We don't need to see the pores on the panelists.
  • edited July 2010
    The RED cameras are all over hyped, and I haven't seen the Scarlet priced less than the Canon cameras. However sony has announced a camera that may have the potential to beat out both RED and Canon if they include XLR inputs and a good HD video output:
    I was going from memory, but now I'm checking the prices - holy fuck, the 7d is a two and a half thousand dollar camera. I've owned cars that cost less than that.
    And the 5D Mark 2? Four Grand, BODY ONLY. Throw on the cost of a decent lens, and you're looking at at least another five hundred bucks on top.

Dude, You're outta your god-damn mind. Geo - You can get a camera which will suit your needs more than adequately without this crazy shit.
    I don't know where you are getting your pricing, but Best Buy, and that's without looking for a good price on it, has the 5d(body) for $2499.99, and the 7d with lens for $1899.99. The thing about the RED is that once you buy all the support parts you need, you're at $4750 and that is for a fixed lens.

Edit: I should point out that I'm used to thinking in terms of a full camera kit being priced decently if it's in the $30,000-$50,000 range, so all of these cameras that I'm talking about are the cameras what I would spend my money on were I to do this. I consider anything below them just toys that I wouldn't use except, maybe, to record home videos.
    Post edited by Mycroft000 on
  • edited July 2010

I don't know where you are getting your pricing, but Best Buy, and that's without looking for a good price on it, has the 5d(body) for $2499.99, and the 7d with lens for $1899.99
    From Canon, of course, since it's not like I have a local best buy. And that's gone up a grand for the REDs since I last looked, which is a bit of a pisser.

However, I'd love to hear your answer to the point as to why you need a couple of grand worth of camera so good that you could count the number of hairs in Rym's ponytail from the back of the Panel room, when it's for taking video of a panel at a convention, which will most likely be uploaded to youtube?
    At this point, the only benefit is to a camera geardo's L/PSi, not anything relevant to the actual application.

Edit: I should point out that I'm used to thinking in terms of a full camera kit being priced decently if it's in the $30,000-$50,000 range, so all of these cameras that I'm talking about are the cameras what I would spend my money on were I to do this. I consider anything below them just toys that I wouldn't use except, maybe, to record home videos.
    I would say fair point, but I can't quite get my nose that far in the air, and looking down it so far does so terribly block my view. I'll use whatever I can get my hands on, and frankly, If you can't shoot to the same level of skill with an old east German Practica as you can with the latest top of the line canon, then you need to get yourself off the high tech stuff, and bash about some old kit to get in touch with what you're doing, rather than just the equipment you're fondling.
    Post edited by Churba on