This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Something weird is going on.

edited June 2010 in Forum Stuff

New threads aren't being bumped to the top and if you look at the WTF of Your Day thread, new comments are appearing at the TOP of the page. Wat.

Comments

I can't be the only one who is seeing this.
  • Yep, I've noticed it too, in the Pokemon thread.
  • Yeah, I think we can say this isn't an isolated problem, I'm getting it consistently.
  • edited June 2010
    Oh no, we borked it.

Yep, that didn't bump this thread back up.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited June 2010
    Well, I guess that proves Scott is actually doing something with the website ^_~
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Shit is fucked up.
  • Hey, it's moved a little bit farther up the page.
  • Yeah, this seems to be fixing itself. I think there must be a bug in the forum's calculation of the time difference between the time now and the last post, and since the current time is changing it's disappearing on its own.
  • edited June 2010
    Wait, no. Things are still not quite right - the posts that were towards the bottom with times logged like 23 hours ago have now shifted to times like 20 minutes ago.

It seems to me that a number of posts have shifted themselves an entire day ahead of where they ought to have been, which has caused a lot of weirdness.

I'm guessing the forum software actually saw these posts as coming from the future, but listed the times as "23 hours ago" because that's how the algorithm for calculating the time since a post handled them. These posts from the future would have, for obvious reasons, been considered the newest posts in their respective threads, and their threads would have been considered the most newly updated in the forums.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I reported this problem earlier in the WTF thread. Something is definitely off.
  • The time on the server was wrong. Not a big deal. Should be consistent from now on.
  • The time on the server was wrong. Not a big deal. Should be consistent from now on.
    NTP?
  • edited June 2010
    The time on the server was wrong. Not a big deal. Should be consistent from now on.
    NTP?
    No, NTP is fine. The hardware clock is UTC, as it should be. However, I changed the time zone from UTC to EDT. System time is the same, but local time changed. Most applications are smart enough to behave properly. Apparently Vanilla/PHP/MySQL doesn't handle the time zone properly, so it thought the server traveled back in time.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • People's avatars won't load sometimes.
  • People's avatars won't load sometimes.
    Cite a specific example? It could be just you.
  • Cite a specific example? It could be just you.
    Happens to me about 20% of the time. Random avatars just don't load.
    What Rym said.
  • It's never happened to me. When it does happen, view source and find the URL of the missing avatar. If the url isn't there, that's problem X. If it's there, try it, and problem Y will be revealed.
  • Roger doger, I'll keep you posted.
  • You guys aren't helping.
  • You guys aren't helping.
  • I have yet to see one instance of an avatar that's failed to load, and I've been on here fairly often as of late.
  • I have yet to see one instance of an avatar that's failed to load, and I've been on here fairly often as of late.
    I've seen the problem happen. For a while it was about the 20% thus claimed. Then for a few days it was over half of the avatars weren't loading for some reason. I haven't seen the problem lately though.
  • ?melborp siht gnivah esle enoynA .desrever deyalpsid neeb yllanoisacco evah dne ym no sdleif txeT