This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bike Get!

RymRym
edited June 2010 in Everything Else
I went bike shopping with Emily, and I walked away with a new bike. I ended up with a fairly fancy Trek performance hybrid, rather than a road bike. I am now biked.

Comments

• Pics!
  • edited June 2010
    Indeed, pics please. I'm gonna get my bike fixed soon, so then I'll be re-biked.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • This is so worth discussing. A €10 bike is such a better investment if you ask me.
  • A €10 bike is such a better investment if you ask me.
    Don't people usually answer questions after someone asks?
  • A €10 bike is such a better investment if you ask me.
    Depends on what you're doing. I've been biking pretty heavily for most of my life, but my 14 year old hardtail just doesn't cut it for city biking. I push bikes fairly hard, and I needed something high performance and reliable.

Bike get!  I went with the performance hybrid: I can always r... on Twitpic
  • So you got almost the same exact one I have. Min is 7.1, yours is 7.3.
    Heh, rim brakes.
    Depends on what you're doing.
    For 90+% of all people a €10 bike has everything they need. Frame, wheel, chain, pedals, brake, steering wheel, seat, less likely to get stolen, gets you most places any other bike does, cheap.
    I push bikes fairly hard, and I needed something high performance and reliable.
    When I saw the thread I expected you to have bought a very fancy bike, with disc brakes, a dozen-ish gears, etc. Seeing the picture, I'm a bit disappointed.
  • When I saw the thread I expected you to have bought a very fancy bike, with disc brakes, a dozen-ish gears, etc.
    This has more gears than even most athletes would need. As for disc brakes, they're only really useful if you're biking in mud or wet conditions. For a mountain bike, I would get them. For a city bike, they're pointless.
    For 90+% of all people a €10 bike has everything they need. Frame, wheel, chain, pedals, brake, steering wheel, seat, less likely to get stolen, gets you most places any other bike does, cheap.
    A better bike gets you there a lot faster.
  • That's pretty similar to mine. Is the back wheel bigger than the front, or is that a trick of the perspective?
  • Nice choice. I can't tell from your pic but it looks strikingly like the one I'm considering...

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/bike_path/fx/75fx/
  • Nice choice. I can't tell from your pic but it looks strikingly like the one I'm considering...
    7.1, 7.3, 7.5, what's the difference? Different colors and more expensive looking components?
  • For a city bike, they're pointless.
    Yeah, I was expecting you got yourself an all-purpose bike, and not just a nomal bike. Thus my minor disappointment.
    A better bike gets you there a lot faster.
    Not 'a lot'. Very likely that you won't even save a minute. It's also not a 50 times better/faster/cost-effective.
  • edited June 2010
    I have a trek lime lite. It's got automatic shifting. I didn't buy for that though. When I bought it was on sale because it was a demo unit and just wanted a simple cruiser style bike.

Lime Lite

My cousin recently bought a Specialized Hardrock and has become almost fanatical about riding the trails here in Austin.

Hardrock

I don't know much about bikes but I do know my cruiser can't hack the trails very well.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • I have no clue who those guys are.
  • What can I say classic rock isn't my forte.
  • What can I say classic shitty rock isn't my forte.
    FTFY.
  • What can I say classic shitty overly complicated but otherwise middle-of-the-road rock that music nerds only listen to for the smug sense of self-importance (but let's be fair, Tom Sawyer was an okay song) isn't my forte.
    FTFY.
    My brother in law isn't here to whine about that, so I fixed that for you for him.
  • You don't have to be into Rush to get the reference.
  • Can someone explain to me what classifies this bike as a "hybrid?"
  • edited June 2010
    Can someone explain to me what classifies this bike as a "hybrid?"
    It a mix between a road bike and a mountain bike. Usually it has wider tires and better suspension than a road bike, but not quite as "heavy duty" as a mountain bike. It is a good all rounder, but not great for racing (as it is heavier than a racing bike) and not great for any "extreme" off-roading.
    Adam and I both have a Fuji Crosstown 3.0.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • It has a suspension? I don't see any moving parts where the wheels attach.
  • I have a reasonably high-end dunlop mountain bike back in Australia, but anywhere else, I'd probably ride a Hybrid - At home, taking it up Mt gravatt mountain and thrashing it, or running it hard through the city, that needs a bike somewhat tougher than a hybrid.
  • edited June 2010
    I was going to buy a hybrid, but I'm going to fix the rims on this old Raleigh and spend my money on a backpacking setup instead. I know too much about locks to trust a good bike to one during classes in a college town.
    It has a suspension? I don't see any moving parts where the wheels attach.
    Compressed air fork on the front.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • 7.1, 7.3, 7.5, what's the difference? Different colors and more expensive looking components?
    I shall let all-knowing Wikipedia speak for me here.
  • Yeah, I was expecting you got yourself an all-purpose bike, and not just a normal bike. Thus my minor disappointment.
    There's no such thing as an all-purpose bike unless you want it to be mediocre in all areas. How is this bike normal? It's actually much, much better and more expensive than my current bike, which itself has a suspension and other assorted fanciness.

What I bought was a performance hybrid. It's basically two tiny steps short of a street racing bike. One bike better would have seen the front fork replaced with a carbon fibre one. Two steps better would replace the flat bar with a proper multi-position racing bar. This is a bike with which, were I to seriously compete in a street race, I would have a fighting chance. It has no front suspension because it traded comfort for speed and agility, and is specialized for street biking and street biking alone. The tires are narrow slicks with presta valves. This bike will never see a dirt road, and will never jump anything higher than a curb. Disc brakes would be silly: I'll never have to contend with mud. More gears would also be silly: this bike is aggressively geared assuming massive leg strength and high speed operation: further gearing would only hurt its performance: it doesn't need a climbing gear.

Now, my other bike is a hardtail mountain bike. It has a front suspension, but a stiff rear (much better performance, but has issues with extreme downhills, violent terrain, and dead drops). Wide tires, more gears, etc... It's old as hell, and could use an upgrade. It is entirely unsuitable for city riding: the front suspension slows it down and adds weight, the tires wear quickly, buzz, and slow it further, and so forth.

My plan is to either eventually buy a second bike (a modern hardtail with disc brakes) for off-roading, or rent a dual-suspension rig any time I go mountain biking.

As with all things in my own life of late, I decided that two specialized, optimal devices are better than one that falls short in both directions (in cases like bikes, where the two sides are mutually exclusive). This bike (my new one) is so wickedly fast on the street compared to my previous bike that it was startling. I easily have another 5-10mph added to my peak speed, and the gearing is so different from a mountain bike it took me a few miles to get used to it.

Mountain bikes can't compete with street bikes on streets. Street bikes will kill their riders on mountains. Performance hybrids have 95% of the performance of street bikes, but are much more comfortable and practical (fetching groceries, cruising, etc...). Non-performance hybrids are similar to their cousins, but are typically heavier, cheaper, and geared less aggressively.

So, I'm not sure what you mean by a "normal" bike. A dual suspension is a complete waste for city riding: it saps your pedaling effort and even if you have a lockout or dampener, it still adds surprising weight. A front suspension adds a great deal of versatility, but at the cost of speed on streets. Disc brakes are stupid for non-racers riding non-mountain bikes (unless you just have extra money lying around and want to waste it).
  • WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Nice dual-persona in that post. Seems you completely misunderstood me, and fuck it, I'm not going to clear shit up.
  • I'm not going to clear shit up.
    Nineless shuts the hell up! It's a miracle! Proof of all peppermint and non-peppermint deities right there!